PDA

View Full Version : 3 landings in 90 days

Grum
21st Jan 2012, 08:48
Dear All

What happens when you are a reelance pilot and you have not flown in 90 days? Are you simply no longer current and so would have to buy 3 circuits somewhere to become employable again? Does the rule apply to private flights? And could you fly say as co-pilot if the captain has flown within the 90 days?

Thanks

BOAC
21st Jan 2012, 08:54
It will be covered in the Ops Manual of the company you are flying for. CPs often have discetion to extend the period subject to etc etc

kenparry
21st Jan 2012, 17:12
BOAC, with respect, if it's in the JAR or EASA regs, then the Chief Pilot has no discretion - it's the law.

For the OP, my understanding (in Europe) is that for the carriage of passengers the pilot(s) must have done the requisite 3 landings and take-offs within the 90 day period. Note, not just commercial - it applies to PPLs as well.

As a freelance you still have to comply. Yes, pay if you have to; a generous employer might let a freelance do it without charge, but honestly that's probably dreaming.

BOAC
21st Jan 2012, 17:30
if it's in the JAR or EASA regs, then the Chief Pilot has no discretion - it's the law. I can assure you he did have under JAROPS - and did.(the 28 day Cpt thing). I didn't challenge!

99jolegg
21st Jan 2012, 17:48
BOAC is right - check the Ops manual.

We can extend to 120 days in certain conditions. Those conditions are obviously acceptable to the authority who authorised the content of the Ops manuals.

Grum
22nd Jan 2012, 15:57
OK thank you for the replies. i'm unemployed so referring to ops manual was not an option. Fingers crossed for a freelance before 90 days is up then. Thanks:ok:

BOAC
22nd Jan 2012, 16:24
Would you not have to fly some sort of 'acceptance'/'check' flight to get a position? Do the three there?

Denti
22nd Jan 2012, 20:07
OPS 1.970
Recent experience

(a) An operator shall ensure that:
1. a pilot is not assigned to operate an aeroplane as part of the minimum certificated crew, either as pilot flying or pilot non-flying unless he/she has carried out three take-offs and three landings in the previous 90 days as pilot flying in an aeroplane, or in a flight simulator of the same type/class.

2. a pilot who does not hold a valid instrument rating is not assigned to operate an aeroplane at night as commander unless he/she has carried out at least one landing at night in the preceding 90 days as pilot flying in an aeroplane, or in a flight simulator, of the same type/class.

(b) The 90-day period prescribed in subparagraphs (a)1 and 2 above may be extended up to a maximum of 120 days by line flying under the supervision of a type rating instructor or examiner. For periods beyond 120 days, the recency requirement is satisfied by a training flight or use of a flight simulator of the aeroplane type to be used

Thats the current EU-OPS regulation about that subject, easiest is probably just taking a TRE on the next flight. Or renting an hour in a simulator, serves the same purpose. We have to do that quite often with our MFF that guys, since they have to be recent on both types.

Welle
23rd Jan 2012, 11:46
Does the rule apply to private flights?
NO - not for non-AOC non commercial operations

Trim Stab
24th Nov 2013, 07:54
What is the definition in this instance of "pilot flying"?

In a two crew aircraft, presumably only take-off/landings flown as PF count?

Do take-offs/landings flown as an instructor count?

Mach E Avelli
24th Nov 2013, 23:12
Consider the monitored approach case, where the PF may not actually do the landing, because the monitoring pilot takes control when visual. It's just semantics - the idea is you must have done three take-offs and landings within the 90 days (or whatever period you have approved) regardless of which seat you are in and what your role is.

Ditto for instructors; the intent is that they actually do three take-offs and landings. I can't imagine any operations manual or rule that would allow otherwise for such a critical role.

foxmoth
25th Nov 2013, 06:56
Quote:
Does the rule apply to private flights?
NO - not for non-AOC non commercial operations

Depends on what you mean here, even for non commercial ops you DO have to do the three if you want to fly with pax - if out of check you can do three circuits solo then fly with your pax, but if you are 91 days+ then you need to get the landings in before sitting pax in with you.

ATC Watcher
25th Nov 2013, 09:38
Fox moth : you are correct . One remark:
you can do 3 circuits solo
according JAR OPS definition it is 3 take offs and landings , which my State translated into 3 full Stop landings , so no touch and goes . Not sure if all JAR States translated it that way, but mine did .

mad_jock
25th Nov 2013, 11:08
We always use to count T&G's and nothing was said. The only time you had to be careful with full stops was while doing a Night Qual.

That said who is to know if you came to a stop on the runway and then departed again.

fireflybob
25th Nov 2013, 11:16
If the runway is long enough you could consider a stop and go!