PDA

View Full Version : Asymmetric landing gear extention

Dariuszw
17th Jan 2012, 14:26
Recently I have seen an incident/accident report of landing with asymmetrical landing gear extention. Crew elected to land with partial gear and stopped perfectly fine on the runway center line. My question to you fine people is which one is better, landing with no gear or landing with partial gear?
My craft manufacturer does not opine on the subject and emergency checklists have no asymmetrical extention option so it seems to leave decision to pilots. Arguments for landing asymmetricly would be at least partial braking and directional control as well as perhaps less demage to undercarrige. For retracted gear landing lesser chance of rolling the plane.

So whats your opinion ?

BOAC
17th Jan 2012, 15:29
My question to you fine people is which one is better, landing with no gear or landing with partial gear? - the answer is whatever the QRH says, normally. If it ignores the problem, your choice.

Di_Vosh
21st Jan 2012, 00:29
Also is going to depend on which gear isn't down and your aircraft type (e.g. high or low wing, jet, turboprop, etc). As BOAC said, check the QRH.

Arguments for landing asymmetricly would be at least partial braking and directional control as well as perhaps less demage to undercarrige.

I'd agree with that if it were the nose gear that hadn't come down. Not so sure if it were either main gear.

redsnail
21st Jan 2012, 06:21
Ours recommends that if the nose gear does not deploy, land all wheels up.
It's built to do that.

777fly
25th Jan 2012, 20:54
As suggested already, follow the QRH. Most heavy jet manufacturers recommend landing with any available gear extended. This retains at least partial impact energy absorption and some, albeit limited, post touchdown braking and control. Aircraft evacuation slides are designed to cope with the unusual fuselage angles that might result from an assymetric gear landing.

stilton
25th Jan 2012, 23:02
' #4 (permalink)
redsnail

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Ours recommends that if the nose gear does not deploy, land all wheels up.
It's built to do that. '

What kind of Aircraft is that redsnail ?

redsnail
26th Jan 2012, 17:09
Hawker 800XP