PDA

View Full Version : Cosmic Radiation

FlyingSportsman
5th Jan 2012, 01:06
Something I've put together! Play nice, I'm only young :ok:

Final How great is The Effect of Cosmic Radiation on Modern Day Flight Crews (1).docx (http://www12.zippyshare.com/v/77971221/file.html)

There will be a few c**k ups in there, but wanted to see some thoughts from the Pros.

FS :ok:

Edit: I'm not a professional pilot, nor do I claim to be! Reading about the 'influx of newbies' I thought it would be good to add this to clear up any misconception.

Bushfiva
5th Jan 2012, 01:39
What is the point of citation (3)?

You focus on absolute readings, whereas hourly rates might be more accessible to the audience since the audience is used to thinking in terms of flying hours. Do you fully understand what citation (1) is telling you when it refers to photons?

Deeper comparisons with routine exposure and safety limits set by other industries might give more perspective; for example average and allowable exposures for medical staff. You might also compare with living in, say, Colorado.

FlyingSportsman
5th Jan 2012, 01:46
Citation 3 is a medical definition of the Sievert.

Citation 1: I think so, have I misinterpreted it ?

With regard to hours, something I had overlooked but a great point, I will have a bash tomorrow at incorporating it.

Another good point about the industry differences, again something for me to look into!

Many thanks,

FS :ok:

misd-agin
5th Jan 2012, 03:17
FAA Civil Aeromedical Institute - CARI (http://jag.cami.jccbi.gov./cariprofile.asp)

FAA website. You can input each flight, flight levels, time enroute, etc, etc.

Want to reduce you radiation exposure? The #1 thing you can do? Sunscreen, hats, and long sleeves.

Bushfiva
5th Jan 2012, 04:09
Citation 3: The first sentence is "The sievert is a measure of radiation dose." It then states that the sievert is to gray, as rem is to rad.

Firstly, the gray is the measure of radiation dose. The sievert is a measure of the biological impact of an ionizing dose (i.e. a dose equivalent) so, in this context the first sentence is misleading because it's a better description of what the gray is. Secondly, if you think it is necessary to use this citation to explain to the audience what a sievert is, then the audience is unlikely to have any idea what gray, rem or rad are.

Finally, sievert is a unit, and gray is a unit. So sievert does not have the same units as gray.