PDA

View Full Version : Flex takeoffs only on Airbus?

JulieFlyGal
18th Dec 2011, 23:49
Excuse my ignorance, but is the flex takeoff technique only used on Airbus series aircraft? How about the Boeing 777 and 787? Do they use similar reduced power takeoffs or do Boeings always use TOGA power?

de facto
19th Dec 2011, 01:26
Hello,

FLEX is a term used by Airbus, Boeing uses Assume Temperature whch is the same.Fool the computer that its warmer outside to reduce takeoff thrust,saving engine life by reducing egt up to 56c using max assum temp(25%).(b737).
Boeing also uses variable derate tomreducemtake off thrust when assume temp is not possible,assum temp can be used in conjunctionmwith derate.

Excuse my ipad typing :E

Aussie
19th Dec 2011, 19:10
As said above...however the term flex isn't exclusive to airbus... We use the same term on the embraer ejet... ;)

ManualFlight
3rd Jan 2012, 07:28
...so do we on the good old Fokker 70/100. Named "Flex" as well.

Cheers!

Dariuszw
3rd Jan 2012, 07:39
Question:

I understand we reduce thrust due to warmer then standard temps or higher then standard density altitude in order to limit I guess ITT and preserve this way engine life. But N1 is reduced also when temp are colder then standard. Is it because of stractural limits or what.... ??

Aussie
4th Jan 2012, 01:59
No, i think your missing the point...

We still limit the n1 power for takeoff even if it is colder then standard (ISA) because we can still further preserve engine life... the power req for takeoff from performance calculations tells us we need say 84.5% N1, where the full power takeoff gives us an N1 limit of say 89% So then using the flex temp, we tell the fadec to limit the N1 to that minimum req from calcs, and engine life is preserved, company saves another dollar....

Feel free to correct or add anything boys and girls :E