PDA

View Full Version : Trident 3 @ LHR

Desk Driver
29th Nov 2000, 22:01
OK OK I know this has been asked before, But I can't find the original thread.

So Why is BA's Trident 3 parked at LHR and not in some cozy museum somewhere. It can't be operational and I can't imagine what training could possibly be done.

Thanks in advance

------------------
-------------------------
You fly em we'll fill em!

IMMELMAN
29th Nov 2000, 22:16
Possibly fire training, evacuation drills etc.,but if you're really interested in Trident and want to fly one - there is a fully working simulator near Biggles Hill available at, I believe, £100 hour - I flew it twice last year - great experience!
I expect you already know this - but if not - owner is Andy Mattocks and I have his phone number somewhere

Mooney
29th Nov 2000, 23:57
The Trident 3 At LHR- is run by a group of enthusiasts/ BA engineers and is sitting in the engineering base by Hatton cross.

There was also one used by the fire service by 09L but I think it's now been broken up.

The Trident Sim at Biggen is 50 pounds per hour- and great fun!

Sharjah Night Shift
30th Nov 2000, 00:29
It was once used to train tug drivers.

Unwell_Raptor
30th Nov 2000, 00:38
I've been told that it's a backup in case of a strike.

There are hundreds of 'weneyes' out there who would love to have a go.

'weneyes'? Oh yes; 'When I was on Tridents....'

IMMELMAN
30th Nov 2000, 03:42
Further to the rocket sim at Biggles - I think Trident was first autoland and the sim can still do it, sort of - yes, £50 - even better than I remember - best if you have an experienced jetjock with you but Andy and his wife are both fully au-fait and will set it all up and guide you through it if you don't have expert help - cracking value and a pretty unique opportunity - not to be missed - he did the whole project and got the original guys in to calibrate, sort out snags, etc

Lawyerboy
30th Nov 2000, 13:38
Speaking of the Andy's Trident sim, I'm dying to know - how much does one of those things cost, exactly?

Chocks Wahay
30th Nov 2000, 17:13
Raw Data is organising another day out at the Trident sim. I've flown it, and it was great. Have a look at the thread on Wannabees for details of costs etc.

Lawyerboy
30th Nov 2000, 21:26
No, that's not what I meant. I've flown the trident sim as well (well worth a go, by the way), but what I meant was how much would a full motion sim like Andy's cost? To buy. Just curious...

Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick, by the way CW.

IMMELMAN
1st Dec 2000, 20:02
Ask Andy the cost - I dunno, but I do recall he acquired it when BEA were disposing of everything Trident. These things do not happen too often - it needs to be a redundant type for which there is no obvious market, ie of no use to commercial training schools, etc - the cost of the lump may be quite modest but I guess dismantling, transporting,re-installing,calibrating,powering,housing, etc.,etc.,are pretty significant but, more than that the sheer man-hours would be rather daunting - as said, dunno, so this is not much good to you - ask Andy or, perhaps some of our colleagues may have a handle on it - all I do know is that it is a pretty rare opportunity - depending on outcome, what will happen to Concorde sims? Disneyworld for £zillions? PS - pretty good level of Tech skills would be a must

Old Dog
4th Dec 2000, 22:46
Hey Lawyerboy, would you like to own a A300-B4 sim? I heard that Malaysia Airlines dismantled their A300 sim and stored it in crates looking for a customer, probably still looking... Their B737-200 sim and DC-10-30 sim are also for sale.

Watch out: It may be dirt cheap to acquire one, but it will cost $millions to get it reassembled and recommissioned. And don't forget the maintenance and spares...

[This message has been edited by Old Dog (edited 04 December 2000).]

Lawyerboy
5th Dec 2000, 15:00
I'd give several body parts to have a sim in my back yard, Old Dog, but I think my bank manager might have a word or two to say about it.

Old Dog
5th Dec 2000, 18:26
I wouldn't go for the sim. I will need an electronic genius to maintain it, and above-average pilot skill to fly it really well. Still it is just a beefed-up FS2000. Aside from the prohibitive running cost, sometimes I get the vertigo when I overstay my time in the sim.

I would rather go for the real thing: a light aircraft or a sailplane. That's real flying.