PDA

View Full Version : Help needed regarding FAA CPL IR

Go Smoke
7th Oct 2011, 17:37
Hi guys,

I need some advice as I'm getting some pretty contradictory information at the moment.

Situation as follows

A JAA CPL, ME, IR holder needs to obtain an FAA CPL, IR (single engine only needed)

Meets all the flight requirements for test other than what is dictated by FAR/AIM as necessary training with an authorised instructor.

Understand that an FAA PPL can be issued based on the JAA licenses held.

Understand that an IR can be added to the FAA PPL by sitting the Instrument Foreign Pilots test.

If with the CPL written then taken, plus flight test passed, will the CPL licence be credited with a full IR?

Some say yes and some say no.

I have been told that in order to have a functioning CPL IR that the Full IR written test +15 hours of mandatory training + flight test must be undertaken and then added to the PPL.

I know of people who have done it, and are flying on the licences, via the easier route......but is this a system anomally?

I've been told by other sources, who stand to make financial gain from the situation, that it is not possible to do it via the easier route.

Hope that makes sense and that somebody will be kind enough to shine some light on the situation.

Thanks for any help,

GS.

S-Works
7th Oct 2011, 21:02
You will need to do the CPL and IR written exams. The three hours training for CPL and the three hours for IR with an FAA CFII and then sit the two check rides with a DPE.

The IFP does not grant IR privileges to a full FAA certificate only a 61.75.

So if you want a full FAA CPL/IR, you jump through the hoops. Luckily the FAA are pragmatic enough to give you full credit for prior experience and only mandate minimum requirements as outlined above.

Go Smoke
7th Oct 2011, 21:24
bose-x, thanks a million for your helpful reply, much appreciated.

GS.

Tinstaafl
12th Oct 2011, 15:50
If you meet the min. experience requirements for an FAA ATP you could do that instead. Only a single exam & flight test to get privileges that match CPL + IR. No minimum training required either although I'd strongly recommend some time with a US instructor to familiarise yourself with how things are done here.

No matter what you do, if it's your 1st US certificate you'll have to jump through the TSA insecurity bull****.

B2N2
14th Oct 2011, 13:06
Everything has been answered satisfactorily already just a couple of details;
15 hours of mandatory training
There is NO training requirement but teh 3 hrs for a check ride sign off; however it generally takes about 15 hrs (10 flights or so) to get somebody with a "fresh" European IR proficient to pass a IR cehckride in teh US.
Not because they can't fly Instruments but to:

get familiar with local airports
get familiar with the approaches likely to be flown
get proficient in GPS approaches (if the aircraft has an IFR approved GPS)
get familiar with radio communications and local procedures

The three hours training for CPL and the three hours for IR with an FAA CFII and then sit the two check rides with a DPE
Very unlikely; the FAA CPL SE consists of manuevers which are not flown in Europa-land, neither for the PPL nor for the CPL.
To gain proficiency in these maneuvers will take at the very least 6-8 hrs (4-6 flights) On top of that the applicant needs to meet the requirements of 61.129 which have recently changed. Ten hours of Instrument training is now required but that can be completed simulataneously with the average 15 hrs of instrument training.
Dual day and dual night cross countries need to be completed with an FAA authorized instructor (read an FAA certificated instructor) for another 2 hrs each.
In total you need to expect about 15 hrs for the IR and another 15 hrs for the CPL SE.

S-Works
14th Oct 2011, 15:35
In total you need to expect about 15 hrs for the IR and another 15 hrs for the CPL SE.

Depends on your prior experience and currency. I quoted what the minimum requirements are in accordance with the rules.

I have seen plenty of people do it in those minima. The FAA specific manoeuvres are not difficult to master for a current commercial pilot and neither is the Instrument side. US charts are not rocket science and for those of us flying around Europe we have a pretty good exposure to constantly differing charts.... :p

Of course if you have an interest in selling someone a 'conversion' course you will naturally have a differing opinion...... ;)

B2N2
15th Oct 2011, 02:54
I quoted what the minimum requirements are in accordance with the rules
No you didn't and why do you make it appear like a FAA CFI will sign you off after 3 hrs. regardless?
You think we have no standards? That every DPE is Santa Claus?
9 out of 10 JAA CPL, ME, IR holder wouldn't even make it through an oral exam if it is conducted the way it should be.

What I stated earlier is based on my personal experience. European pilots are not as good as they think they are.
So you fly an exam route on your CPL that you have practiced with your FI several times before...impressive :ok:

I'd strongly recommend some time with a US instructor to familiarize yourself with how things are done here.
That's about the most sensible thing stated here.
There's are reason why I rarely post in this sub forum, we've just seen it :yuk:
To the original poster:
If you would like info send a PM, otherwise good luck on your conversion and let us know how everything went.:ok:

S-Works
15th Oct 2011, 08:47
Oh get back in your box. Plenty of people manage to go through in the FAA prescribed minima. It's not rocket science.

I have outlined the minima. It is up to the candidate to meet the standard. There are no other prescribed requirements.

I have every respect for the standards of the FAA system. It has sensible prescribed minima and gives full credit for past experience.

Let's not get into a pissing match on differences between the systems. As the holder of both FAA and JAA I can pull holes in both.

You have spent way to much time hanging around here as it looks like some of the gold plating JAA loves is rubbing off on you.....:p:p

Let's just leave it what the regs dictate and state some people will do it in the minima, others will take more. :ok:

B2N2
15th Oct 2011, 15:15
You have spent way to much time hanging around here as it looks like some of the gold plating JAA loves is rubbing off on you

That's probably true and pretty funny to boot.

Let's just leave it what the regs dictate and state some people will do it in the minima, others will take more

Agreed......:eek:

madlandrover
15th Oct 2011, 21:00
FAA and JAA agreeing :eek:? Whatever next, world peace?

B2N2
20th Oct 2011, 01:08
The skinny guy on the left is bose-x, the cool looking guy on the right holding a beer is me.....

http://www.lehigh.edu/~amsp/bobby-jindal-shaking-hands.jpg

S-Works
20th Oct 2011, 06:22
Lol.:p:p:p:p

Tinstaafl
20th Oct 2011, 14:07
I see B2N2 couldn't resist wearing his pilot uniform for the photo. :p

B2N2
21st Oct 2011, 16:38
You talk funny son...you a student pilot from where now? Ooonited Kingdom?
You sure got a purdy mouth, need a ride to the FBO?

http://030be21.netsolhost.com/WordPress/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/redneck.jpg