PDA

View Full Version : What the Biggins happend at Mildenhall on Saturday?

CaptainCrunch
29th May 2001, 18:53
What the Biggins happened at Mildenhall on Saturday? Managed to persuade the Memsahib to drive up from Chelmsford (left at 7 and close to M.hall by 8.30) only to sit on traffic for 3 hours. On arriving at the roundabout for the base a polite if ruffled traff bod told us that we would have to go to Newmarket for the P. & Ride. Undeterred, we drove on to Newmarket.
At the P. & Ride field there were huge queues of miserable sufferers who reported seeing neither an organiser or a bus for 2 hours. Now, had I been helping out on the day I should definitely have headed for the nearest hedge but what numpty made the decision to use the main route to the airfield (i.e. the grid locked one) for the PARK AND RIDE BUSES! I mean, what? Really, what?

Pants, toilet and, frankly, bottom burgers to the whole show.

Nice day boozing it up at North Weald yesterday though and I did manage to bag a jump seat into Stansted with the excellent Titan Airways on the Friday so a good aviation weekend overall. Still can't help feeling that Mildenhall was a huge embuggerment though!

Aye,

Cap'n Crunch

MikeSamuel
29th May 2001, 20:25
Sorry, but I had an absoluteley fantasticalourous, stupendiforous, and generally excellent day...I went on an organised trip with my dad's works last year, and then it took us a while to get from the main road through Mildenhall into the parking area, but this time they had it really sorted for coaches. We had to do a slight detour through Lakenheath, and then approach Mildenhall from the opposite direction, and was on the taxiways after about 3 mins of guidance through the base to the coach parking.

I thought they really cracked it this year, and the show itself was excellent, especially due to the weather, and copious quantities or burgers...

Sorry to hear you had a poor experience, but get on a trip next time, they look after you well that way...

I saw the queue for the park and ride, Geez, that looked Godawful, especially in that heat...Burned my arms off http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Anyway, hope you will go again next year, it really is worth it...Only cost me £10 including travel from Coventry!!! :)

Regards

Mike

(edited for foolish spelling, and general badness)

[This message has been edited by MikeSamuel (edited 29 May 2001).]

JPJ
29th May 2001, 21:30
I used to go to airshows most years. This is why I don't any more. For God's sake, they have 12 months to plan it - there is a better way, but nobody cares enough.

Sharjah Night Shift
29th May 2001, 23:31
All three members of the "Sharjah night Shift" attempted a trip to the show.
Not being familiar with the area we made the mistake of following the signs, it is frustrating passing the exit on a dual carriageway as the signs point straight on only to see another sign at the bottom of the slip road as you pass over the junction.
We eventually made it to the entrance road to the park and ride at Lakenheath only to get six cars from the gate when Mr Plod closed it with no explanation leaving several miles of queuing traffic on local roads. After waiting half an hour thinking they had closed the gate due to the entrance road being close to some departing aircraft we gave up and turned around to go and find a pub.
In the pub we found lots of people who had the same experience and would not be going next year.