PDA

View Full Version : Do airliners have keys?

Stroppalot
10th Apr 2001, 18:46
Do airliners have keys? I mean, could someone just hop into a 737 or whatever, and fire it up, or do they have an ignition-key equivalent?

Just curious!...

Stroppalot
10th Apr 2001, 18:47
Also, do the wheels have locking nuts? and do the radios have security codes?

JOKING !! Just thought I'd get them in before anyone else!!!

Luftwaffle
10th Apr 2001, 20:59
Well, you see, new airliners have ignition keys, but after a while, with nightstops and all, they get lost.

When the crew misplaces the airliner keys everyone has to go back to the hotel to look for them, while the gate staff is left to make up stories about tech delays. Sometimes if the airplane isn't too far from base they send a spare set sent out, but eventually they have to get maintenance in to hotwire the airplane. That happens a few times and they just install a switch.

You'd think it would be a security problem, but seeing as you can start most Boeings with the keys from an old Chevy Impala, it doesn't make much difference.

[Edited to fix an ugly line break.]

[This message has been edited by Luftwaffle (edited 10 April 2001).]

Sharjah Night Shift
10th Apr 2001, 23:18
Check out some of the Russian gear at Sharjah.

It's not unusual to find the odd AN12 with a padlock on the cargo door!

EGAC
11th Apr 2001, 02:29
I've seen padlocks on DC-3s at Medellin in Colombia and also on P-3 Orions parked at airshows.

SpeedBird22
11th Apr 2001, 02:49
*grins* hiya stroppy mate. You do come up with some little gems doncha??? :) :)

SB22

MightyGem
11th Apr 2001, 03:15
The US ARmy certainly had "igntion" keys for their helos at one stage, after some unauthorized joy rides. Don't know whether they still do though.

Pandora
11th Apr 2001, 12:09
Yes, you could just fire one up. Then you'd have to get your mate (I recommend Dodgy Dave from down the pub) to jump start the pushback tug. ;)

vipero
11th Apr 2001, 12:21
Once we lost the keys of our B767...we told the passengers there was an ATC strike.
From that time on we use to put a spare key under the door mat.

Ciao
Paolo

Pointer
11th Apr 2001, 12:37
On the Fokker50 we don't have key's. We Dutch tried to save some...on this system!(like our Airconditioning) Instead we need to hand prop our little airliner.

Yee muskee...

Stroppalot
11th Apr 2001, 12:43
*grins back at SB22*

FalconJock
11th Apr 2001, 12:51
Easyjet should consider locking wheel nuts for their Liverpool Base.

Although an XR3 would take a lot of jacking to fit 737 wheels.

Stroppalot
11th Apr 2001, 12:58
Never mind the wheels... I'm sure the elevators would make a bloody good rear spoiler!

I'm sure they could put good use to one of the jet engines as well.... although they'd probably have to fit a noisier exhaust than the standard one!

dingducky
11th Apr 2001, 15:10
hmmmmm
would you need a key for like each engine? :) http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif :)

------------------
Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defence.

Speedbird252
12th Apr 2001, 02:19
Maybe we should have "Halfords" style alarms, as we walk across the apron, we press the key fob, and get three "chirps" and the flashing of the landing and taxi lights?

As for keys, im sure we all remember Airplane 2 and the bunny foot........

doggonetired
12th Apr 2001, 19:30
Is that why they don't put pull down sun visors on Boeings because there's no key to hide up there?

autobrakemedium
13th Apr 2001, 14:18
On an airbus it is a retinal eye scan.

Old King Coal
13th Apr 2001, 21:30
All I can say is thank gawd jets don't have'em ! ..... otherwise aircrew hotel bars would be full of rather pathetic pilots on the pull shouting out, "Hey, has anybody seen my jet keys ?!"

.......... or worse still, there'd be the jet keys equivalent of 'penis envy' as in loads of sad git 'medallion man' types nonchalantly (although purposefully) leaving the keys to their Boeing / Airbus mega jets on the bar top in a pathetic attempt to impress some lowly maiden.

Be warned these blokes do exist, i.e. just today ( on the Falmer road, between Sussex University and Woodingdean, East Sussex ) I saw some chap in a rag-top Saab (its roof down - and it must have been all of a sweltering 10 degrees Centigrade ), with music blaring, sitting there in full pilot garb, i.e. uniform jacket on, complete with silver stripes, and arm draped albeit somewhat uncomfortably - but with full visual / visible effect - over the top of the passenger seat, plus 'Top Gun' shades..... jeez if he'd just had his hat on as well then it would have been too funny for words.
Now might I kindly suggest that if anybody knows who this knob actually is, that you tip him the wink that - far from looking 'cool' - he actually (imho) looks a complete A1 prat !

Nb. I wasn't able to determine if he had a copy of 'Handling the Big Jets' upon the cars back shelf coz I was almost blinded by the tears of laughter rolling down my cheeks !

SFly
13th Apr 2001, 23:27
No, an airline's wish list should consist of the following:

1. Get a magnetic key-hiding thing for somewhere inconspicuous, like underneath the wing. (Too bad there's no plant on the airbridge to hide it in, but this will do fine).

2. Get one of those clamps for the control column (or preferably two for extra security).

3. Issue notice to pilots: ALWAYS keep left hand seat in a forward folded position so if anyone had been in there, you would know.

(Also, be sure to always park in lit open spaces at night with plenty of people about, and carry mace with you at all times).

SFly ;)

red 5
14th Apr 2001, 04:22
All new Boeing airliners are delivered to the customer with two keys.The only lock they are for is the flt deck door.However in my experience they generally dissapear quite quickly as they have boeing written on them.I personally have two.

Norman Goering
16th Apr 2001, 02:22
All this may seem funny but try being 15 foot up a ladder with a bent coat hanger trying to break in!

In all seriousness, the only keys are for the flight deck door which, as previously mentioned, tend to disappear! I have been in the situation where the skipper has had to shimmy up through the avionics bay into the flight deck as "Mister Nobody" had locked the door before closing it!

Dave Incognito
16th Apr 2001, 06:21
Some of the regional airlines in Oz use a padlock and chain on their Saab 340 etc when parked over night at country airports.

"Road side assistance, yes, well it's the darnedest thing you see. I feel so silly, but, I've locked the keys in my plane."

------------------
Flying is easy - just throw yourself at the ground and miss.

pax domina
16th Apr 2001, 15:44
But, as it says in one poster's signature, do Airbusi really have Renault keys? :)

------------------
Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal" was a part of my school curriculum, was it a part of yours?

Irish Steve
18th Apr 2001, 01:11
Be thankful they haven't got round to fitting a little tube that you have to blow in to before it will start!

Deja Vue maybe :) :)

willbav8r
18th Apr 2001, 04:22
Airbus retinal scan - now that's funny!

I currently enjoy the Piper Fingerprint Activation and Recognition process - cunningly located on the prop!

Works every time, and I never have to shuffle around in my pockets for keys.

I kind of miss that....

Penn Doff
18th Apr 2001, 17:39
It's a bit worrying that the Boeing key also fits the Airbus. Handy to keep one on your keyring as not a day goes by without one of the stupidesses breaking one in the crew rest door!

------------------
"please report further"

doggonetired
19th Apr 2001, 14:14
Never mind retinal or finger print they ought to have Anal scans! You've got to be a real arse to want to get into this business in the first place!

JBravo
20th Apr 2001, 03:54
What do you think? Do airliners have keys? Sure... They also got a central locking system with an alarm, electric windows, a sunroof (electric again), power steering (actually...they really do..), foldable rear seats to take more baggage, 6-speed gear, shiny hubcaps and a sporty spoiler... And optional it is available as a convertible..

JBravo
20th Apr 2001, 03:59
Oh, and I almost forget to mention the free keychain from Renault you get with the airbus you buy...

flybyvelcro
20th Apr 2001, 13:50
If you work for Go, you will know all about flight deck door keys. They have just introduced the most ridiculous rule regarding the flight deck door.
After the cabin has been secured, the flight deck door is locked until 20.000 feet!
It gets even more ridiculous on the descent. The door has to be kept locked below 20.000 feet, and if the No 1 wants to give you the cabin secure nod, she has to unlock the flight deck door using the bloody key!
If the cabin fills with smoke, god help us if she cant find the key!

Onan the Clumsy
23rd Aug 2001, 23:34
Airbus retinal scan - now that's funny!

I thought he'd said "Airbus rectal scan".

That'd be even funnier. :eek:

Just Another Number
23rd Aug 2001, 23:52
I once left the keys (PA23) in the door on an early morning charter :o :o :o