PDA

View Full Version : London ATC problems today

simondlh
8th Aug 2011, 12:29
Hi, does anyone know what the issue is? Rumour has it that London ATC services have failed today (whatever that means!)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
8th Aug 2011, 12:44
Probably a fuse blown...

It's 13.44 BST and looking at my SBS things seem to be swinging along..

Zippy Monster
8th Aug 2011, 12:54
There was some sort of flight planning failure this morning (3rd hand information via my company and also BBC News.) Apparently back to normal now, albeit with inevitable knock-on delays.

hangten
8th Aug 2011, 13:17
BBC News link here:

BBC News - Flights hit by air traffic delays (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-14442018)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
8th Aug 2011, 16:24
<<A spokeswoman for Air Traffic Control (NATS) said its usual monitoring system had failed and flight details had to be input manually>>

I wonder what the "monitoring system" is to which she refers?

Conspiracy Theories
8th Aug 2011, 17:31
all i can say is if management think that ATSAs are not valuable enough to keep on after this hellish day bearing in mind any futusistic equipment that will (possibly) enter into existence in November (maybe)......they are definitely under valued.

i would like to thank all the ATSAs for their extremely professional manner and hard work, i know it wasn't easy today.

well done......maybe you will get a 6.5% raise having seen how important you are......(i will cross my fingers for you guys)

coolbeans
8th Aug 2011, 21:27
I'll second that, the ATCA we were dealing with on TC SE this morning was stellar in what was surely trying circumstances.

Mr_Grubby
9th Aug 2011, 08:54
A good ATSA is worth their weight in gold.

Although I'm retired now, over the years I spent on radar I have lost count of the times the ATCA/ATSA was invaluable.

Well done guys and gals.

Clint. G.:ok:

25check
9th Aug 2011, 11:36
The problem is, the management attitute is that these events, and indeed lesser ones such as shortages due to minimum cover, happen so 'rarely' that it is an 'acceptable risk' which does not warrant keeping enough ATSAs to cover them.

It seems that it is cheaper to pay the fines to operators when delays are caused than paying for ATSAs:ugh:

Radar
9th Aug 2011, 11:47
Guys,

It's all about the money ...... wherever you happen to be!

Hotel Tango
9th Aug 2011, 15:14
And the money saved (by providing an inferior service to their stakeholders when the $hite hits the fan) goes into the fat cats' pockets in the form of end-of-year bonuses :hmm:

jackieofalltrades
13th Aug 2011, 17:06
If only management could actually listen to controllers and accept how valuable an asset the ATSAs are. I know they've helped me many a time, and find it disgusting the way the company (senior management) regards them.

But like has been said above, it's all down to money. Not quality of service anymore.

GM Aviation
7th Dec 2013, 16:07
Is all working now.? If it was monitoring problem did they divert all the flights?

Lon More
7th Dec 2013, 19:31
If only management could actually listen to controllers and accept how valuable an asset the ATSAs are
They do a stellar job. many are much more knowledgeable than some controllers - and if they go, who will make the coffee?

EmergingCyclogenesis
8th Dec 2013, 08:25
Its unlikely that ATSAs would have helped in this situation. If you cant configure the sector, you cant do the work ATSA or no ATSA.