PDA

View Full Version : using call signs

ec155mech
6th Aug 2011, 17:26
Hey guys

been doing a search on this but came up short.

what are the rules written and unwritten in regards to giving yourself a callsign when you fly, to :

1 make it easier for atc
2 easier for yourself to know when you are being called.

thanks

Crazy Voyager
6th Aug 2011, 17:55
I'm not sure what you're asking, but the only thing I can find with a quick look is CAP493 Appendix E 4.2

The CAP493 is avilable on the CAA website, have a look and see if that answers your questions. It's a start anyway I guess.

2 sheds
6th Aug 2011, 18:59
ec155

For UK, more pertinent is CAP413 - and there are not any "unwritten rules"!

2 s

Chilli Monster
6th Aug 2011, 19:37
I take it what you're talking about is a personal / company callsign?

Only available on application to the CAA, and usually only available these days if you have an AOC. You can't just "make one up" and use it.

ec155mech
6th Aug 2011, 20:23
that was exactly what I was thinking about. but ok great to know. thanks for the info. had been looking through the CAP 413 for that but alas no luck.

Spitoon
6th Aug 2011, 20:42
There used to be an AIC about applying for a company callsign etc.

DX Wombat
7th Aug 2011, 13:27
A somewhat different take on the use of callsigns, would I be correct in thinking that anyone who uses a callsign, which they are not entitled to use, to get what they see as preferential treatment from ATC, is breaking the law, or, at the very least contravening CAA regulations? The preferential treatment being because ATC would assume the person calling was an off-duty airline pilot. I am curious as when I was still learning prior to my PPL (I consider I am still learning), I was told that someone, not a BA pilot, had "accidentally on purpose", used the BA callsign for this purpose, the conversation with ATC being along the lines of "Tower, Speedbird.... er correction, G-XXXX ....." and that this happened fairly frequently. My own feeling is that both ATC and BA would take a very dim view of such actions.

2 sheds
7th Aug 2011, 13:33
You jest! Why would that achieve "preferential treatment"?

2 s

DX Wombat
7th Aug 2011, 13:51
No, I'm telling the truth. The event allegedly took place at an airport perceived by many GA pilots to have a less than friendly attitude to GA pilots so it was considered by the person involved that the pilot would be thought to be more capable than someone with a PPL so would be treated, in that person's opinion, preferentially.

TCAS FAN
7th Aug 2011, 13:59
ec155mech

Allocation of callsigns is coordinated worldwide by ICAO. They publish DOC 8585 "Designators for Aircraft Operating Agencies Aeronautical Authorities and Services" which specify approved callsigns for aeronautical use. Each ICAO Contracting State (ie country) is required to administer their own allocation system with allocations fed back to ICAO to ensure that duplication does not occur.

To use a callsign for a UK registered aircraft you will have to request allocation by CAA. It will not be agreed if it duplicates something already specified in Doc 8585.

My understanding also is that CAA will not accept applications for callsigns unless the applicant is an AOC holder.

2 sheds
7th Aug 2011, 15:45
DX Wombat
You are probably right - the pilot would be viewed as a complete @rse!

2 s

ATCO Two
7th Aug 2011, 17:00
I used to like Noel Edmonds's callsign - Unique 01.

DX Wombat
7th Aug 2011, 17:01
2 sheds- I would not disagree with you :ok: One's opinion of the narrator whom one suspected was the perpetrator, runs along similar lines ;)

Spitoon
7th Aug 2011, 18:15
Ahhhhh......I always thought it was Eunuch 01.

ATCO Two
8th Aug 2011, 04:23
That would be Eunuch Minus Two, surely?

Mimpe
15th Aug 2011, 09:55
The only way I know to get respect with ATC in Australia, be polite,is lodge a flght plan, be well prepared, know your ERSA, and make your calls using proper format.

ATC Watcher
15th Aug 2011, 20:32
In my Country , and for domestic flights, when you make a flight plan you can write what you want in field 7 as long as it does not exceed 7 characters and if you put in Field 18 REG and your ICAO A/c registration.
If you write DICK1 you will be called/answered as Dick1 , .
Wether this is ICAO kosher or not I cannnot say but it works and very often done during competitions or by the military.

bingofuel
15th Aug 2011, 21:15
a BA pilot, had "accidentally on purpose", used the BA callsign for this purpose, the conversation with ATC being along the lines of "Tower, Speedbird.... er correction, G-XXXX I certainly would not condone such behaviour and doubt if it would actually gain you anything, but if you normally fly an aeroplane with a company callsign it is extremely easy to inadvertently prefix a call with your usual ''company callsign'', then continue with ''correction, G-XX'' then your message. I am as guilty as others of the inadvertent company callsign slip of the tongue