PDA

View Full Version : Foreign annex II in the UK

mmgreve
1st Aug 2011, 15:27
Can anyone tell me what rules there are for foreign annex II aeroplanes in the UK?

I know that planes on a foreign Permit can only stay in the UK for a limited period of time, but the aeroplane in question is on a CofA.

As it is obviously adhering to local rules in another EASA country I am in doubt if it is treated like a Permit?

If we were to relocate the plane to the UK, I assume we will have to fly it back for its annuals, although it is pretty standard Lycoming propelled rag and tube stuff.

Thanks

patowalker
1st Aug 2011, 18:22
Annex II, so outside of EASA control, yet it has a CofA?

mmgreve
1st Aug 2011, 21:41
yes

There are two types of aircrafts outside EASA, those on local permits and those that are on local CofA. The later will be aircrafts with a local certification, but not an EASA.....typically because they are old and rare. A number of ex military fall into this category. The aircraft in question is only built in 56 examples shortly after WW2.

I have noted a number of Yak18T's on Hungarian registry. I assume they operate under annex 2 in the UK?

Genghis the Engineer
1st Aug 2011, 21:47
If it has an ICAO CofA the obvious baseline is all the N reg aeroplanes that are flying in the UK. I can't see any difference between that and, say, a Hungarian aeroplane which is Annex II with a CofA.

An organisation I work with has an Annex II D-reg aeroplane doing aerial work based in the UK but flying across the world. The main issues are the need for German validation of crew licences, and use of a German maintenance facility for the annual.

G

mmgreve
2nd Aug 2011, 15:09
Thanks Ghengis,

.....but it absolutely has to be flown back for the annual? I am thinking that in these EASA days, the CAA's of the various countries might trust each others engineers?

Whopity
2nd Aug 2011, 15:16
I am thinking that in these EASA days, the CAA's of the various countries might trust each others engineers? What a stupid idea, that won't keep the EASA Shysters in gainful employment!

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Aug 2011, 15:48
Thanks Ghengis,

.....but it absolutely has to be flown back for the annual? I am thinking that in these EASA days, the CAA's of the various countries might trust each others engineers?

It's what we do, but it may be easier and cheaper to fly their Engineers to you by Ryanair.

G

mmgreve
3rd Aug 2011, 07:37
It is only going to Denmark, and although it is going pretty slow, it is probably easier just to fly it back.

Thanks for the advise, CAA were not very informative when I called them

julian_storey
3rd Aug 2011, 21:45
This sounds like yet another example of something which should be quite straightforward, being made unduly complicated by our friends at EASA.

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Aug 2011, 22:58
I know that we all love EASA bashing, but they are excluded from EASA (for whatever reason) so the rules are exactly as they were pre-EASA, and exactly as they'd be for a CofA aeroplane from a non-EASA aeroplane such as the USA.

So, I really don't think that you can blame EASA for this one.

There's so much we can blame EASA for, you can probably let them off occasionally.

G