PDA

View Full Version : Sion the Alps via Simplon Pass

letpmar
16th Jul 2011, 17:15
I have just finished a great trip through France to Sion in Switzerland then through to Italy via the Simplone Pass. Then South to the French coast passing SanTropez Monaco etc then on to Northern Spain before back up through France.
I got a lot of advice and having done the trip have a lot of info and maps. If any of you are thinking of doing the same please get in touch I would like to pass on the benefit of hindsight.

Pete

Poeli
17th Jul 2011, 07:53
Seems to be a fun trip! In which aircraft have you done it? Care to post some pics/trip report here or on a blog or something? I'd love to read it

Tolka
17th Jul 2011, 08:34
Were you IFR or VFR. I would be interested in reading more about your flight over the Alps. What altitude were you at? Did you have to wait for good weather? What were the winds like in the pass? Any other guidance for flights over the Alps?

Jan Olieslagers
17th Jul 2011, 09:02
Me too curious for little report!
NB "Simplone" non c'e - it is Simplon or Sempione.

letpmar
17th Jul 2011, 12:40
Hi Guys
I am going to put an artical together and send it to Flyer if anyone wants a copy I can mail it as a word documents. I will post more info on here with pics when I can. Me and a friend did it in my Sportcruiser, we did it all VFR we got held up for a day on the way down through France. We did the alps in one day starting at LFLH Champforgeuil then routed north of Lausanne and flew over lake Leman
you join a valley at the Southeast corner and follow that to Sion LSGS. We had lunch there and then you carry on up the vally to the Simplon pass where you turn right into it and over the pass. There is a left turn in the Simplon and Sion valleys but for both bits you are just following the only main road. And really the widest bits of the valleys, you come out at lake near Lacarno. You have to get to 8000 ft for Simplon and of course wait for the weather, it was only bumpy in places very spectacular and less scary once you have done it. You do have a lot of rock higher than you are though. I never felt we could not turn back at any stage, The Sion bit is the narowest and you can turn round in most of that. Its then a bit of a pain in Italy because Italian ATC seems to want you at 1000 ft AGL and with the mountains comms is hard.
I have the maps and plates we used so if anyone wants more info just contact me. 07976 262833 or pm me

Pete

vihai
17th Jul 2011, 15:33
I've done it few times in a glider, unfortunately the weather limits the times it is feasible to get there, cross and come back home :)

Shorrick Mk2
19th Jul 2011, 09:35
Awesome! Hope my info helped a bit!