PDA

View Full Version : Tail wheel flying/differences training around midlands/northamptonshire

Captainkarl
13th Jul 2011, 09:35
Hi everyone, I am really struggling to find schools that do tailwheel flying, I am with Sibson who provide it but the instructor that does it is also my examiner so I cannot fly tailwheel till Ive done my GST and I need to make a start now rather than after. So my question is to the fine folk on pprune- tailwheel flying training in and around the midlands, any suggestions?

Many thanks
Karl

Genghis the Engineer
13th Jul 2011, 10:00
I'd argue strongly that if you haven't passed your GST you should stick to the aeroplane you'll be taking that test in and do the tailwheel after. You can't use the tailwheel differences training until you have your PPL anyhow, and you could perfectly legimitately do this with your instructor/examiner whilst waiting for CAA to turn the paperwork around so will lose nothing.

G

S-Works
13th Jul 2011, 10:35
As I live 6 miles miles away perhaps I can offer my services for teaching tailwheel. Are they still using the Cub?

J.A.F.O.
13th Jul 2011, 12:03
I agree with Genghis, wait a bit. The school at Sibson is really good. I would heartily recommend doing the conversion after your GST.

jxc
13th Jul 2011, 16:18
Maybe he is ready for his GST but not enough hours yet. Have you done your night rating ?

Captainkarl
13th Jul 2011, 16:46
Hi, thanks for the concerns but I will still do what I think is best for myself. :) I have 72 hours 11 PIC (Ive been flying since 14yo with 3 years out due to university). I cant obtain a night rating as I am forced to only train for a NPPL as I can no longer hold a class 2 despite flying the exact same plane in pretty much similar conditions...but thats a different story and campaign.

Kb

Genghis the Engineer
13th Jul 2011, 17:06
I think I'd still say the same - get your NPPL in the aeroplane you're flying now, and do your tailwheel the next day with your examiner. Confusing yourself with a different aircraft type and instructors views this close to your GST will not help you.

G

It flies
13th Jul 2011, 17:32
Genghis may have a point if you're very close to your skills test.

On the other hand I did a tailwheel conversion 12 hrs into my PPL training and it worked out fine. I did my skills test on the Aeronca Champ. The only downside is you'll probably have more cancelled lessons due too high crosswinds until you've mastered the basics. It might take a few more hours, but so what if you're flying for leisure?

DB6
13th Jul 2011, 19:35
Tatenhill Aviation has a Decathlon Tatenhill Aviation - Aircraft Hire (http://www.tatenhill.com/hire.php)

mrmum
13th Jul 2011, 21:38
Capt.karl
tailwheel flying....the instructor that does it is also my examiner so I cannot fly tailwheel till Ive done my GST
Who told you that? It is not correct for an NPPL applicant. The requirement for a FE to not have conducted training with someone they examine, only came in with the JAA, initially there were some hours limitations, but apparently some people were taking the p**s, so there is now a ban unless you get explicit permission from the CAA. It is given quite regularly under certain circumstances.

The NPPL as the name suggests is a "national" licence, sub-ICAO and not subject to JAA rules. It is possible (legal) to be someone's instructor for the whole NPPL and still be the flight examiner for their NST and GST. Whether that is a particularly good idea or not is another question, however it didn't seem to create a lot of problems pre-JAA.

So, other than the examiner's/club's individual policy, there is no reason for them not to do some tailwheel flying with you before the GST.

504SQN
21st Jul 2011, 18:05
Karl,

The Merlin Flying Club at Hucknall, Nottinghamshire do tailwheel differences training.

The attached internet link refers:
Home (http://www.merlinflyingclub.co.uk/) (then click 'Training' button).

They have Robin and Chipmunk aircraft.