PDA

View Full Version : Stun Gun cell phone left on aircraft

FlightPathOBN
11th Jul 2011, 20:58
Authorities are investigating how a stun gun managed to make it through security and onto a flight that landed at Newark Liberty International Airport, Fox 5 reported Sunday.
The FBI is investigating how the stun gun got aboard a JetBlue flight from Boson on Friday, a federal law enforcement source said.
According to sources, a striker 1800 stun gun was found by a cleaning crew inside the back pocket of a seat on Jet Blue flight 1179 after the passengers had disembarked, Fox 5 said.

http://www.wholesaleselfdefense.com/images/uploads/stun-gun-striker-1800kv-as006.JPG

Stu666
11th Jul 2011, 21:53
Sorry to be flippant, but I bet a lot of blokes out there secretly want to buy one of these for their wives/teenage children :E

Ditchdigger
11th Jul 2011, 21:59
If you had succeeded in getting one onto an airplane to begin with, why would you then put it in the seat back pocket? And then, how in the world could you foget it there? :confused:

denlopviper
11th Jul 2011, 22:04
oh thats simple!...

planted by TSA to create a new security scare :}

pilotmike
11th Jul 2011, 22:06
On finding an item like this in a seat pocket, there are those who think it would be OK for it to be dropped out of the flightdeck window just before departure...

FlightPathOBN
11th Jul 2011, 22:41
why would you then put it in the seat back pocket?

well, I wouldnt keep that thing in my front pocket! :eek:

on that note, riding ferry boats to work each day, if someone leaves a bag or backpack unattended, and the crew finds it, they stop the boat, get the Coast Guard to search the vessel, then the bomb squad to remove it...after being late to work, or worse 3 hours late getting home, we passengers started walking the boat, and if we found unattended stuff, we would sit there and wait...and explain to the owner how happy we were, or toss it over the side...

ChicoG
12th Jul 2011, 13:32
Perhaps if the TSA spent more time looking at the people they should do, instead of kids, retirees, cancer victims, etc., they might have spotted it?

TDK mk2
12th Jul 2011, 13:49
Surely the first thing they would do is check who was sitting in that seat. And then go and debrief the air marshall that was sitting there...

Lonewolf_50
12th Jul 2011, 16:27
Perhaps if the TSA spent more time looking at the people they should do, instead of kids, retirees, cancer victims, etc., they might have spotted it?

Aye.

Thought: this was a probe, by someone, who explored the art of the possible in leaving a tool for a follow on passenger to use.

It also might be that one of the flight attendants liked to engage in exotic sexual practices that includes stun guns, and for whatever reason left it in a seat pouch for later retrieval ... I realize that is an immense stretch, but weirder things have happened ...

4Greens
12th Jul 2011, 17:39
A similar event ocurred on BA many moons ago when sniffer dogs were being checked out on a parked aircraft. The police missed that device afer the exercise and it was found by a pax airborne on the next flight. I believe a BA manager lost his job over this.

rh200
12th Jul 2011, 23:33
It also might be that one of the flight attendants liked to engage in exotic sexual practices that includes stun guns

Oh god, stunned and violated by a flight attendant (Hostie), doesn't get any better than that:E.

ShyTorque
12th Jul 2011, 23:43
Judging by the looks of some of them, they woud need that stun gun to get any chance of a date.

Halfbaked_Boy
13th Jul 2011, 03:42
Three possibilities spring to mind -

1) This was left where it was to prove a point, and the person responsible is looking forward to watching his creation unfold on the news/media, with a satisfied smirk on his/her face :ok:

or

2) Somebody genuinely wanted to transport this device from A to B, but got cold feet at the other end, not wanting to risk a pat down after disembarking.

or

3) They wished to use it for not so innocent purposes, but again, lost their bottle mid-flight and stuffed the thing in the first available place that wasn't on their person or in their hand luggage.

Air marshal, anyone? :cool:

CaptainProp
13th Jul 2011, 10:01
Surely the first thing they would do is check who was sitting in that seat. And then go and debrief the air marshall that was sitting there...

Haha! :ok:

Agaricus bisporus
13th Jul 2011, 10:47
investigating how the stun gun got aboard

Sheesh! That'll take the flatfeet some time then. Someone should tell them it was carried on board by a passenger, just like the other 100,000 mobiles that passed through the airport that day.

how a stun gun managed to make it through security

Lord, this is getting painful. It looks identical to a mobile phone. Does anyone really expect the muppets on security to know the difference, they must see several thousand phones each day and they're all the same. Lets not get hyped up over this or they'll make us dismantle our phones as well as taking our shoes and belts off so we inconveniently have to keep our contraband in our underpants instead...Imagine the delays that would cause. Don't scoff, its a realistic scenario if those idiots get a bug up their arse about it.

They never ever spotted the Leatherman tool that lived in my flight bag until 2 years ago and that looks like nothing else except a Leatherman. It must have passed through a couple of thousand x ray machines since 11/9. That's not a very impressive strike rate, is it?

What do people expect? Effective security? Get real.

Its not as if a stun gun is even a particularly useful means of hijacking an aircraft. A fist is just as effective.
Woah! Woah! Lets just not go there or we'll all be amputated before we fly...

denlopviper
13th Jul 2011, 13:58
knee jerk react from TSA could be the banning of cellphones in the cabin.

you never know!

Abbey Road
14th Jul 2011, 06:54
knee jerk react from TSA could be the banning of cellphones in the cabin.What a good idea - one that I would support, wholeheartedly!

crippen
14th Jul 2011, 07:44
Ermmmmm........... only have carry on luggage! :confused:

jibba_jabba
20th Jul 2011, 10:15
probably another scare tactic from authorities to justify more scanners.

funfly
20th Jul 2011, 18:01
Just an anecdote; I flew an aircraft into a (French) airport and while in town bought a set of 6 steak knives. Put the bag on the conveyor going back to my aircraft and the officer turned towards me as my false knee pinged the machine. Behind her I could see the 6 knives filling the screen of the scanner. She then just lifted my bag of knives from the belt without turning around and handed it to me. I walked out onto the apron carrying my precious cargo of knives.

Lurking_SLF
21st Jul 2011, 14:22
I can totally agree with that - I just flew DUB - NCE and I noticed that in DUB I couldn't bring my razors through security, but (thankfully) could buy replacement ones in the shopping area before boarding the plane.

Also on the way back the individual looking at the x-ray was paying attention to their (much more scenic) colleague as my bags went by...

Security???:ugh:

MrBenip
22nd Jul 2011, 22:38
Shocking security breach.

Goprdon
23rd Jul 2011, 12:07
4 Greens --Post 10
I believe he then joined the CAA as an FOI. An all round good guy, who took the can for a mistake and moved on. I will not tell you his next job as it makes him too easy to identify.