PDA

View Full Version : Gaining hours on a microlight?

ZS-NYW
28th Dec 2001, 03:09
Would someone tell me if I could log fixed wing hours on a microlight such as a Jabiru. Im looking to getting my PPL and when I look at the costs of hiring aircraft its scary. So would it be possible to gain hours by flying a microlight such as a Jabiru?
Thanks

Atlanta
1st Jan 2002, 15:10
You really ought to address this question to the NZ civil aviation authorities (I assume you are flying in NZ)if you want an authoritative reply.

Pigs Might Fly
1st Jan 2002, 19:06
for UK pilots the answer is NO. Microlight or SLA hours do not count towards your bi-yearly requirement for PPL(A).

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Jan 2002, 01:02
I'll tell you the UK answer, but it may well be totally different in NZ and as the witch said, you really aught to ask your local authority.

In the UK, if you have a PPL(SEP), then to fly a microlight / SLA you need to have passed a Microlight GFT. The hours are then loggable, but separately. For currency in microlights, you need to fly 5hrs every 13 months, in addition to the PPL(SEP) currency requirements, and get a separate currency stamp for each.

It does look a bit absurd when you look at aircraft like the Jabiru where the difference between GpA and Microlight is basically a foot of wingspan. However, having seen a few perfectly serviceable microlights wrecked by Group A pilots who didn't understand the differences, it does make some sense.

Personally however, I think once you've passed the test, microlight and group A hours ought to have some crossover for currency. However, the powers that be, at least in the UK, only seem to understand the differences and not the similarities.

The other answer of-course, is that if you just want to get a PPL and fly for fun, why not just get a microlight PPL, get far more hours for less money, and when the Piper/Cessna flying snobs try it on, just ask how many hours they did last year.

G

[ 01 January 2002: Message edited by: Genghis the Engineer ]</p>