PDA

View Full Version : US qualifications transferable to the UK?

ZMP26
6th Jun 2011, 16:17
Hi guys I just graduated from an ATC-CTI school in America. I also have passed the ATSAT exam (the American FEAST test) and so now am waiting for a job offer from the FAA.

However working in the states is my back up option (especially since the current time from graduation to pick up is 2 years). I definitely want to be a controller in the UK if possible. I've been out of the NATs application process for about a year and a half now but I assume it is pretty much the same as when I last had a go.

Could graduating from one of the best ATC colleges in the US and having passed their version of the aptitude test allow me to have a different or shortened version of the standard NATs application process?

I recognize this is probably not the case but it's something I'm interested in having a look at. Can somebody suggest a specific person or department within the recruitment team of NATs that I could contact in relation to this?

Any help or thoughts are appreciated.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
6th Jun 2011, 17:43
I guess you know that salaries over here are dramatically lower than in the US and the cost of living is about twice what it is over there. Gasoline is twice what you pay, etc... Canada, Australia or New Zealand might be better bets?

Regarding ATC licencing. I don't know for sure but suspect you have to sit all the exams again... well, at least Air Law.

Good luck..

Gonzo
6th Jun 2011, 17:54
ZMP, without possessing a validated licence, i.e. actually qualified at a unit, I don't think NATS would entertain any short-cuts to of the process for you.

Danscowpie
6th Jun 2011, 18:26
ZMP.
No shorcuts, whatever your current qualifications, you'd have to do all the UK CAA courses to work in the UK or the EEC.

SS10
6th Jun 2011, 19:03
When I was looking for a job with a UK Student License after finishing college in the UK, I spoke to NATS to ask the exact same thing. I was told I would have to apply just like everyone else so I very much doubt it...

ZMP26
6th Jun 2011, 20:54
I'm a dual citizen for both the UK and the US meaning I can do the job in both countries.

I know that in the past there was a different application process for those coming out of the services etc. Is that path still available and how would I go about making an application via that method if it was still around?

Chilli Monster
7th Jun 2011, 07:16
No - you can apply for the job in both countries. You've yet to prove whether you can "do" it. :)

The service application method was no different, previous experience was just taken into account during the selection process.