PDA

View Full Version : Up to 400 QF Cabin Crew to be axed - pilots next?

airtags
2nd Jun 2011, 08:29
Just after the share market closed for the day QF announced up to 400 CC will face voluntary redundancy.

The International CC Union apparently said that its a good thing because its voluntary !!!!!! ..............I wonder what they will say when it becomes compulsory and more work goes to JQAsia and the other JQ franchises.

Maybe Fed Sec of the Engineers can give them a few pointers!

Mr. Hat
2nd Jun 2011, 08:59
Gearing up for Asia.

airtags
2nd Jun 2011, 09:16
interesting [above] comment std unit - but the really interesting thing is that the CC have been pretty silent and even sucking up to Q a bit but they are now the ones getting their throats cut - maybe we need to be a bit more united and stop worrying about what happened in '89 ?? [incoming !!!!]

Not interested in the politics of their union but if you add up the capacity of all of the routes flexed to JQ & ors., then it seems that if there is a CC surplus it only because of the gifting of QF capcity to these JQ franchises.

If that is the case then the Board and the sharegolders seriously need to look at the returns as some these routes offered good yield but alas the orange cancer has driven the premium pax to other carriers.

What is more of a concern for me is that if they are seriously saying they don't need 400 CC then how long will it be before they play the same game with pilots? - and they have the BS PARC deal on the side.

As much as I don't want my shares to break $2 - maybe its the only thing that will trigger some action to punt Joyce and his JQAsia/Indo/China circus

At

Di_Vosh
2nd Jun 2011, 09:17
FAAA :yuk:

Only a few days ago we were delayed due fog in MEL. Our two FA's couldn't work the last (delayed) two sectors due to their EBA.

The FA manager in SYD said "No worries, we'll get an EBA exemption from the FAAA that will allow you two to work the extra sectors".

The FAAA is pathetic. A union who collaborates with our management to undermine it's members. :ouch:

DIVOSH!

standard unit
2nd Jun 2011, 09:18
Gearing up for Asia.

Yep.

MM who runs the Longhaul FAAA can be counted on by QF to offer no impediments to their continued offshoring.

To do so might damage the special "relationship" he has with management.

Just what he leverages off that relationship I'll leave for others to decide but I always found it interesting that he was promoted to CSM not long after our last EBA [Massive QF savings] despite not having worked on an aircraft for many, many years.

LL's recent promotion to CSM I'd suggest is just as, "interesting".

MM's dictatorship of the FAAA means nothing they do or say can damage his relationship......

The Green Goblin
2nd Jun 2011, 09:22
I'd suggest none take the redundancy, even if you want to go.

Make sure it costs Joyce his bonus, his job and his reputation.

Mr. Hat
2nd Jun 2011, 09:24
AJ's not happy with pissing off the pilots and engineers he wants the cabin crew on board as well! Keep it up AJ.

In my experience that can get a little messy as they can move to another job a lot quicker than pilots and tend to not hold back!

airtags
2nd Jun 2011, 09:26
Goblin - good call - but the old girls will walk away with a motza - can't blame them - actually feel a little sorry for the CC's lot (apart from the wife's whinges about their union)

Would love to see the little bloke trip over his wallet and bugger off - surely there is some third world airline in need of crap managment - I rekon a $2 share price will put him there.

Oh and at $2 Dixon Jackson and the other wombats are inducted into a new world of ridicule......(loved JB's comments at AMCHAM)

AT

The Green Goblin
2nd Jun 2011, 09:51
but the old girls will walk away with a motza

Those old girls are as tough as nails and as rough as sandpaper. I doubt they'll give in to the cash. They'll stick around out of spite. Good on them.

I wouldn't be surprised if next time AJ is hiding up in First, one of them puts the little man over their knee and gives him a good smack.

Unfortunately most of them are on the 767 and you wouldn't see AJ and his cohorts slumming it in one of those :cool:

DEFCON4
2nd Jun 2011, 10:08
This will be more like a selective culling of CCrew.
I doubt that the VR will offered to all CC.It will be offered to those categories where there exists an identifiable surplus.
There will be some disappointment I suspect as more than 400 Crew would like to leave.By this I mean those over 55 and with more than 25 years service.
There will be a stampede to get paid to leave a very toxic unpleasant environment.
A lot of very experienced people will go.More company memory diminished

standard unit
2nd Jun 2011, 10:10
DEFCON4,

any idea which categories?

DEFCON4
2nd Jun 2011, 10:14
My guess...CSMs and FAs

skylarker
2nd Jun 2011, 10:19
My guess CSM's and BFA's

DEFCON4
2nd Jun 2011, 10:25
At present there are a number of AKL based BFAs covering a lot of mainline complement slots.This suggests a shortage rather than a surplus of QAL BFAs
At this stage its all speculation .
As The Kelpie would say"more to follow"

rodchucker
2nd Jun 2011, 10:38
When are these guys going to actually run an airline rather than pick fights?

They must be running out of targets.

Sorry there is one area, Exec ranks which is probably more deserved that any other so far but obviously not on the radar until bonuses are paid.

Just keep saying "smartest guys in the room" and it will all be ok.

Then again my germanic friend has a phrase that goes something like..... dumb pharks.

surfside6
2nd Jun 2011, 10:58
Interesting that the word may offer VR is used

gruntyfen
2nd Jun 2011, 11:30
"Interesting that the word may offer VR is used"

I'd advise caution before putting name forward. Should the may offer a VR turn into a non voluntary. I said it earlier the union should ensure all CC are given their figures. Its better than individuals showing their hands. How many CC are there as it may take a while calculating numbers.

DEFCON4
2nd Jun 2011, 12:30
There is a protocol in place in regard to VR.The company are obliged to adhere to this protocol.It begins with EOI and proceeds from there.
From a financial viewpoint it is better in this instance to be CR'd rather than VR'd.Over the last 10 years Qantas has VR'd some 1200 of its Cabin Crew

stubby jumbo
2nd Jun 2011, 12:38
....yes-even though they were VR'd....for Tax / HR reasons et al- they were "paid out" as "CR's".

Qantas wants to rid itself of the those over compensated "Long Haul" scum.

Either way-I'm outta here.

This little Red Rodent has had enough ! :ouch:

Exit-Stage right :ok:

packrat
2nd Jun 2011, 12:50
The best boxes to tick when considering leaving are years of service and age.There is a formula for this.Its been mentioned elsewhere but over 25 years service and over 55 years are desirable.This also allows retirees to access the unpreserved portion of their super in the form of a pension.It also allows retirees access to interline travel.With the way Qantas is heading this may be more important than access to Qantas staff travel

SpannerTwister
2nd Jun 2011, 14:14
S-J is right..........

In all my time at engineering I don't think that we've EVER had a guy go "V/R".

Without fail, those who go are actually made C/R (or as it's known internally VCR).

Again, as S-J said, this give all sorts of benefits ranging from the amount of tax you pay on your payout components to a better reception at Centerlink as you didn't "quit" but rather made redundant.

I don't know, but I'd also assume that C/R would also give you access to other Government benefits such as free or greatly subsidised additional training packages.

So from that point of view, I'd just about guarantee you'd get C/R, and if you're old enough to be in Qantas Division 2 Super, well there's a nice little additional package there for you if you're C/R'd :D !!!!

ST

empire4
2nd Jun 2011, 16:37
there is no such thing as VR. redundancy is redundancy. If you volunteer you will still just have redundant on your cert. If your an older FA you'd be crazy not to take this offer. pay your house off. tough times coming, first pain is airline pain.

mustafagander
2nd Jun 2011, 22:29
I'd love a VR to be offered to mainline pilots under the customary terms!!

Forget QF staff travel unless you're a contractor - take a look at their onload priority!!

denabol
2nd Jun 2011, 22:40
I notice on Plane Talking Sandilands describes it as Qantas being caught out by real as well as self-inflicted problems.

You'd have to wonder what bastard acts are going to be hidden by blaming oil etc.

Qantas now in the grip of real and self-inflicted threats | Plane Talking (http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/2011/06/03/qantas-to-cull-cabin-crew-pilots-next/)

howyoulikethat
2nd Jun 2011, 23:10
400 hosties to go....the thin end of the wedge,the sacraficial lambs gives em a great excuse to swing the axe from further back,interesting times ahead for sure....why the bloody hell is QF Int being sacrificed,the original
Qf now lies floundering as the tide goes out!!!!!
Good job,gotta love these business cases....its got a familiar smell about it:suspect:

gobbledock
2nd Jun 2011, 23:40
Just after the share market closed for the day QF announced up to 400 CC will face voluntary redundancy.
Problem is that the Global share market tanked in general yesterday, down 2.2% in total with Wall Street copping a hiding. Australia lost around $33 billion on shares. Of course the Australian economists are naturally painting a healthy glowing forecast which is a croc. We have a two speed economy and if you are one of the minority involved in the resource sector you then Santa has been rewarding you with lots of lovely gifts but if you work in any other sector like the majority of us then you are not only bleeding but you are having your short and long term wealth stripped away from you. The USA is close to collapse, as a result China will slow off (the Yanks can't afford to pay back the billions they have borrowed from them) and then our economy will take an even bigger hit. Qf redundancies are just the tip of the iceberg......

qlhccforum
3rd Jun 2011, 00:11
Interesting that the word may offer VR is used
I reckon the choice of words is about not committing to anything until it happens.
The offer is closely related to the Grant review, ie whether they get the nod to set up Qantasia.
Another aspect is the pilot and engineer EBA's; just something else to put subtle pressure on those who are having doubts.

SpannerTwister
3rd Jun 2011, 00:19
there is no such thing as VR. redundancy is redundancy. If you volunteer you will still just have redundant on your cert.
The difference between VR & CR is for those people who would "like to go".

If they were just to give four weeks notice and stop coming to work then they have not been made redundant, they have simply quit their jobs.

This has (negative) implications for all matters of things financial, taxation, Superannuation, StaffTravel and the like.

VR & CR is where the company identifies they have TOO MANY (in this case) CC.

So they can legitimately say that xx (400) positions of CC are redundant.

If they tap Sally Server* on the shoulder and say "Go away" she has, by long precedent, been made CR.

However, if Sally Server* puts her hand up and says "Pick me" (VR), and they do, although the end result (all around) is the same, Sally Server* has CHOSEN to go, QF has -1 employee, Sally is NOT treated as though she has just given four weeks notice and left, she is in fact made redundant with all the "benefits" that entails.

That's why this process has internally and informally, been known as VCR (Voluntary Compulsory Redundancy).

ST

*Not her real name

whatever6719
3rd Jun 2011, 00:38
Another reason why they are saying "there MAY be redundancies" is possibly due to the pending decision of the proposed changes to the cabin crew ratio.
If they get the 1:50 through, that would mean a fair amount of crew wont be required. This applies to mainly Domestic crew. They are probably hedging their bets by saying MAY in case the decision goes against them and they arent able to release any Domestic crew as there wont be an excess.
Lets face it, if there was such a reduction in flying, there would be pressure for redundancies in the pilot ranks as well - which there isnt.

Also, I didnt hear of any reduction in the Jetstar cc ranks.
Hasnt their operation been hit hard by disasters in Japan, floods, etc etc??
I would have thought there would be at least some cutbacks there.
Last I heard, figures show today a marked increase in pax numbers travelling on mainline services so god knows what they are up to :ugh:

drop bear ten
3rd Jun 2011, 01:02
Whatever,

A JQ international F/A's wage is about $1200 AUD/month compared with...............work it out for yourself.

standard unit
3rd Jun 2011, 01:10
so god knows what they are up to

Farking over their staff, self evidently, in an effort to make up for their mismanagement of what once was, an outstanding airline.

They'll be plenty of long serving staff very pleased to be getting out.

It really is a hideous company to work for now.

ozbiggles
3rd Jun 2011, 01:12
Who couldn't see this coming.
As soon as it was allowed for contract(cheaper) staff to work for Qantas this was always the end game.
Get rid of those on the old T and Cs as soon as the cheaper staff were in place.
It has nothing to do with fuel prices/GFC, insert company excuse.
At least the Jetstar pilots are trying to stamp this mode of operation out.

surfside6
3rd Jun 2011, 01:14
VRing 400 CC will cost QF around $40 mill

T80
3rd Jun 2011, 01:16
Hey Surf

Just add it onto the fines collection its all good :ugh:

What The
3rd Jun 2011, 01:34
It is my opinion that due to the airline actually performing quite well, a decision has been made to bring forward as many of next year’s expenses as possible to reduce the profit for this year.
In addition, redundancies will be completed this financial year to achieve same. They better hurry up.
The end result is that the incompetent CEO can say to the employees “I told you so”. It is time for the Board and CEO to go. If the rumours of extraneous payments to certain executives via other vehicles prove to be true, then the cuts surely must go deeper.
The institutions should be seeking some serious answers to some serious questions.

standard unit
3rd Jun 2011, 01:38
Interesting that the only negative response to these redundancies from a Qantas union comes from Linda White the head of the ASU who happen to have nothing to do with Qantas's cabin crew.

MM's FAAA ?

Business as usual........

Qantas offers redundancies to cabin crew (http://www.smh.com.au/business/qantas-offers-redundancies-to-cabin-crew-20110603-1fj9n.html)

In addition, redundancies will be completed this financial year to achieve same. They better hurry up.

My info suggests they'll be gone by next bid period.

Jethro Gibbs
3rd Jun 2011, 02:04
Reuters) - Australia's Qantas Airways has offered voluntary redundancies to its 7,000 cabin crew.
Grab what you can and run the company is F!#^*D.:suspect:

full disclosure
3rd Jun 2011, 02:42
This is all about Qantas management attempting to convince the public that the company is in dire straits, and the pilots are reckless if they strike. Don't worry about what the public think. They will come back and fly Qantas once the current management are ousted.This is between the pilots and management. Do not give in to their tactics. This is all about hiring crew on contracts on third world terms and conditions, aka Jetstar. You have to be cruel to be kind, and hit management where it hurts. The hip pocket. The company needs to take a financial hit for the shareholders to see that the rot has set in at the top. If anyone is to be successful in making Qantas succeed then they need to work with, not against, the staff. The shareholders and the board need to realise this basic fact.....NOW.

Dark Knight
3rd Jun 2011, 02:44
Correct me if I am wrong.

Qantas estimates on a MEL - SYD flight each pax is worth 92kgs of Carbon Dioxide i.e. 9.2 tonne.

With Julia's Carbon Tax at say $25 per tonne that is an addtional $230 per pax ticket which is going to put a big hole in Qantas bottom line.

Makes these redundancies perhaps even more attractive??

The Green Goblin
3rd Jun 2011, 03:11
Correct me if I am wrong.

Qantas estimates on a MEL - SYD flight each pax is worth 92kgs of Carbon Dioxide i.e. 9.2 tonne.

With Julia's Carbon Tax at say $25 per tonne that is an addtional $230 per pax ticket which is going to put a big hole in Qantas bottom line.

Makes these redundancies perhaps even more attractive??

You are wrong.

It will put an additional cost of $230 per flight. This will be divided up amongst the pax and would out to be a couple of dollars per punter.

Just don't open any beer or coke en-route. Don't want to let more of them nasty carbon bubbles loose out of the drinks!!!

The loony's are running the asylum.

airtags
3rd Jun 2011, 03:16
Dark Knight - OK so now Alan the outsourcing king can blame the Unions and Julia ....

...but lets not sidetrack the thread - this is all about deliberate and planned actions that started with Q seeking its capacity approvals to be shared with JQ, then with the JQ offshore franchises.

The scrutiny has to be placed on the CEO who yesterday morning spruiked the rise in pax numbers and yields and then went on to tell ABC Online this morning that he intends to slash 3% off QF international capacity and more off domestic. He must be the only CEO in the world that wants to cut capacity growth!

Just to be balanced, the Cabin Crew Union has not given us one single ounce of support in our push against offshoring and the 200 hour cadet schemes - they didn't front the Senate Inquiry and just let a Jetstar CC speak up, they never backed the Engineers, they let RR & Q get away with knowingly endangering the lives of their members - not a word from them!

Most of all, they said nothing yesterday except for the quoted 'no comment but VR is a good thing because it's voluntary' (WTF! sounds like the old guard at the union are first in line for the pay out)

Start listing the cost of the stuff ups during the past 4 years and add up the losses - especially those designed to be JQ 'friendly' like the dumb decision to use JQ style 3 abreast seating in J on the 332's - the major breakdowns due nil parts, the pushing of the schedule to move QF traffic onto JQ - plus the bonuses - Dixon's & Joyce's especially at a time when "things are tough, oil is high and the downturn is biting".....to say nothing of the fines and prosecutions!

That looming $2 share price should trigger a resignation - sooner the better.

The CC's being axed again confirms that the goal is to slash Australian jobs and give the flying to JQ Franchises. - Sad that the airline is losing the experienced end of the payroll and replacing it with Y gens from NZ & Asia or B scale on the 380 that I'm told only get $36K gross. No doubt we're next.

This surely must be the only airline that can crash and burn without even leaving the ground.

AT

OchreOgre
3rd Jun 2011, 03:56
"Ca$h and Burn" more like. If the VRs do become CRs, wasn't there a "last on, first off" clause in the EBA, or will the QCCAs and QCCDs be exempt, as this current offer is aimed squarely at QAL? I ask, as this clause was designed to make CRs less attractive to management. Making QCCAs and QCCDs redundant would be less of a cost reduction than making the same number of QALs redundant.

qlhccforum
3rd Jun 2011, 04:42
Just to be balanced, the Cabin Crew Union has not given us one single ounce of support in our push against offshoring and the 200 hour cadet schemes - they didn't front the Senate Inquiry and just let a Jetstar CC speak up, they never backed the Engineers, they let RR & Q get away with knowingly endangering the lives of their members - not a word from them!

Most of all, they said nothing yesterday except for the quoted 'no comment but VR is a good thing because it's voluntary' (WTF! sounds like the old guard at the union are first in line for the pay out)AT

Not wanting to make this a tit for tat Airtags, but where were the cries of protest from the pilot ranks when the first offshore cabin crew bases in BKK, AKL and finally LHR were set up?
Please refresh my memory as I only recall pilots saying it will never happen to us.
I also only ever recall the cries of joy when the smell of fresh young meat came wafting into the flight deck.

I think you will find the international FAAA are totally opposed to the offshoring of pilots and engineering.
We unfortuately have to take a different and more realistic tack when challenging the company as we can be replaced practically overnight, as opposed to pilots and engineeers that have years of training, skill and experience.

noip
3rd Jun 2011, 05:29
.. er .. q ..

The FAAA EBA was negotiated to allow those bases ... at the time I was surprised that the CC had agreed to this and one of Sir Humphrey's well known phrases kept popping into my head (It's the thin edge of the wedge minister) .. but .. the FAAA had agreed to it ....

N

The Green Goblin
3rd Jun 2011, 08:01
Is it just the cynic in me or is Joyce deliberately doing this, so he can say "look at the greedy pilots and engineers wanting 30% pay increases while we need to sack 400 flight attendants"

What's the bet 400 will be hired on lesser contracts!

P.S isn't the legal requirement that if another staff member is rehired to do the same job within 2 years, the previous employee is to be offered the job first on the original conditions?

stubby jumbo
3rd Jun 2011, 09:13
Thats right Goblin.

BUT....this is Qantas. They don't give a flying FCKU what anyone thinks, because in 2 years the masses would have forgotten.

As others have said more succinctly ....this is nothing but a grubby exercise in yield management (Human). Its got zip to do with fuel prices, debt, global economies(PIGS)........but all to do with painting Orange Graffiti all over every Red Rat in the fleet.

Its morally wrong.
Its a fundamentally corrupt business strategy

AND the most galling thing about it -is that the people making these decisions think that no one will notice OR care!

Well guess what. The general public, shareholders and staff have seen through this total sham long ago.

This and many other appalling decisions made over the last 8-10 years is going to reap a result that will make the collapse of Ansett look like a Sunday picnic.
(Apologies to my AN friends)

Spirit of Australia .....my ARSE!

skybed
3rd Jun 2011, 09:26
the difference is it is VR not CR:ok:

airtags
3rd Jun 2011, 10:33
q forum - it's a fair enough comment and yes Pilots could have been a bit more universal in our focus in previous eras - but as stated by other posters it was the CC Union who actually endorsed the OS Bases and I'm reliably told have even been happy to let those Australian CC in LHR not to be counted in their OS BAse Agreement which is a percentage of the Australian crew.

Also don't forget that the CC Union did not bother to front the Senate Inquiry and it is has not said a single word against the JQ Singapore Base that is taking Australian CC work today. Let's hope that changes in the future and also lets hope we all score a few tries together.

I do think you are selling yourself short - the likes of Joyce might see you as glorified muffin sellers but this is where the CC Union needs to lift its game - reality is that an a/c cannot close the door and call for push back unless the CC are onboard doing their safety thing. If the CC worked to rule I rekon it would cause chaos.

I also think it was a real shame that Joyce thanked everyone post 32 except the CC. - I have sat in the cabin and have seen the demo video with Travolta while paxing which is an embarassment to you and me -thank goodness he's not wearing a Q badge on his uniform.

The more we can work together to ditch the Joyce circus and the array of Ansett/Air NZ/JQ has-been Management refugees that continue to make the same mistakes and stuff their wallets while screwing us - the better we all will be.

No doubt we're next! - although at $2.03 (a record low) AJ's credability line at $2 edges closer....wonder what they'll stuff up tomorrow?? (prob my roster for starters)

AT

captwawa
3rd Jun 2011, 10:54
And on that point - why doesn't Travolta have a QF badge on?

Is it a copyright thing or that he is not employed by QF as a pilot?

It looks wrong and they chose the wrong person to do it, what was wrong with the Captain they used, or what about the QF32 Captain?

People would listen more then, instead of listening to an actor who gets paid to say what's on the script.

rodchucker
3rd Jun 2011, 10:56
Hey there's then answer.

Play the Rat at their own game. Everyone who holds shares sells out to drive the price below $2 and call the Board's bluff.

Might be dodgy but no different to what they are doing.

Now all we need to do is find someone who owns shares and at one time trusted this lot.

Certainly not me.

DEFCON4
3rd Jun 2011, 11:27
We sit between an employer who holds us in contempt and an association who has sold out.
Ring the union for advice or with a problem and you would swear you had misdialled and rung a department of Qantas Airlines.
The last EBA resulted in the birth of QCCA where employees are on around $36k a year.Don't go to a bank looking for a loan with remuneration like that.They will laugh at you.
For me I have had enough from both sides.My employer sees me as a liability.My experience counts for nothing.Awards for service excellence are hollow.They are more interested in where my name badge is in relation to the point of my lapel than they are in growing and improving the business
Qantas is not customer focused at all.The stories of indifference I hear from pax regarding our Customer Care Department only magnify my disappointment with my employer.
This VR is both a surprise and a delight.No one really thought that would ever be another VR.I am delighted because I am being paid by these contemptible A holes to get away from them.I have worked for two Qantas'.The first was centred on excellence and embraced its employees as family and accorded them respect.
The second Qantas is the most toxic vile workplace imaginable.It is run by the most repugnant dysfunctional children I have ever encountered .They can do and say to me what they like.If I dare speak up and defend myself I am targeted.This is what being Jewish in pre war Germany must have been like.The fact that this occurs in an egalitarian country like Australia makes it all the more apalling.
My early years with Qantas were wonderful.The last 10 years have been sheer hell.
I feel sorry for those that stay behind

qlhccforum
3rd Jun 2011, 11:27
but as stated by other posters it was the CC Union who actually endorsed the OS Bases and I'm reliably told have even been happy to let those Australian CC in LHR not to be counted in their OS BAse Agreement which is a percentage of the Australian crew.
AT

Not entirely accurate airtags.
The initial off shore bases were set up without consultation and based on an EBA clause that was not written with that intention.
The EBA should have been more watertight but the damage was done.
A limit was then established with a max of 290 OS based crew.

Then another loophole allowed the setup of LHR.
The EBA was previously modified to have the limit expire at the end of the EBA at the time.
It seemed an innocuous change at the time, but it enabled them to set up the base again without consultaton.
So after the horse had bolted we had to up the base cap to allow for it, which then became 490.

Legally it is no longer enforceable to have an OS base cap in an EBA, although we still have an agreement with the company of no more than 25% which as far as I am aware is still being honoured.

So to summarize, the longhaul union in the past was outsmarted by management, but they never welcomed offshore bases until they already existed, and fought as hard as possible within the legal framework to keep them limited.

surfside6
3rd Jun 2011, 11:41
Arguing the point over what has been done is both fruitless and pointless.You cant unscramble an egg.
This crapp was created by an incompetent association led by amateurs.The current union secretary is a pompous,arrogant,rude little pratt who is held in as much contempt as management is.The guy in charge of the planning and scheduling is worse.He has done secret deals with the company allowing thnem to manipulate our bid system.
When the VR money is in the bank I and others are going to pursue this little ****e through the courts

astroboy55
4th Jun 2011, 05:10
Mam looking for up to 200 crew.
LHR base recruiting as well. About 70 short

airtags
4th Jun 2011, 05:28
astroboy - can you confirm this for me? - ie links/evidence etc., post here or PM me if you prefer.

Such a move while axing Australian CC jobs is not only disgusting it also will in the case of the MAM's (they're still domestic only?) would I imiagine see a major brawl between the two CC Unions over the numbers.

Such a move, esp with LHR only serves to highlight Joyce's blatant lies and union bashing spin.

Thnx

AT

surfside6
4th Jun 2011, 06:05
Lets not forget their recruitment of CC in LAX.
Load factors are great everywhere.There are CC shortages everywhere.This VR is about removing the last vestiges of the old Qantas.
Every time someone from the old Qantas leaves they can be replaced by someone who earns less and will be not be around long enough to secure airline benefits.Less superannuation is also paid.They are developing a workforce that will rotate every 5 years.Loyalty will disappear and service standards will plummet.
As mentioned the Australian public should demand open skies and Qantas should lose its protected national carrier status

somewhereat1l
4th Jun 2011, 06:12
QF UK are looking to hire 800 LHR based crew according to cabincrew.com

However, people who have b een invited to an interview over there have now been told the recruitment is on hold at this time.

Disgusting Qantas can get away with making Australian's redundant (voluntary or not) and then hire UK residents.

thecatinthehat
4th Jun 2011, 10:24
Lets not forget that the current QAL crew who voted YES on the EBA on 2007 to get $3000 firmly in their back pocket are the same crew whinging about the QCCA crew.

You voted for it. Remember that. $3000!!!!!

In effect you voted for you ultimate demise.

Time to retire guys.

You hate QANTAS and everything and everyone associated with the company so line your pockets like the board does and retire.

WAIT, no let me guess.... The economic crisis means you cant take the package this time...Superannuation has been affected right.

You constantly complain about the company and board driving the company and the once GREAT Qantas into the ground.

Take a look in the mirror kids.

You are no different to the shareholders that "line their pockets" with Qantas money.

Your pockets are just as lined.

:ok:

Enjoy retirement and your staff travel for life guys.

airtags
4th Jun 2011, 11:05
surfside - somewherewhat:
don't doubt you - but pls post the evidence

the only way the issue can be addressed is through balanced debate - something that Q. Joyce and Olivia are doing their best to avoid.

there's power in the copy and paste

At

somewhereat1l
4th Jun 2011, 12:17
Apologies to my earlier post, they are interviewing 800 in the UK. Not sure how many they will hire.

astroboy55
5th Jun 2011, 11:56
Airtags,

The mam rumor is floating around, have heard it from a few sources including Aipa.

Qccuk crew received an email, I'm trying to get a hold of it

Cheers

simsalabim
5th Jun 2011, 23:51
No surprise really . Foreign national flight attendants , domiciled and paid overseas are now operating Qantas Flights domestically . I have emailed my local Federal member to request he take this up with the Minister responsible for allowing this outrage .

whatever6719
6th Jun 2011, 00:58
Operating Qantas domestic flights??? I knew about Jetstar operating some tag flights with foreign crew on domestic sectors but mainline QF flights???
Can you provide more info?

skylarker
6th Jun 2011, 01:12
Foreign national flight attendants , domiciled and paid overseas are now operating Qantas Flights domestically

I doubt that very much and would love to see the evidence.
The foreign crew would be endorsed on the B744 and A380 only unless they have been brought over here and trained on the rest of the operating domestic fleet. Again I doubt it.
QFUK crew have operated in the past along side QCCA and QAL crew on LH type rated A/C (A380/B744), but only on long haul routes.

Tankengine
6th Jun 2011, 01:15
Skylarker,
It may be a suprise for you but A330s operate domestically and also Internationally as far away as New York!:hmm:

skylarker
6th Jun 2011, 01:21
I fly on them regularly myself for LH and know exactly where they fly.
Now what is your point?
Only AKL based crew are endorsed on the A330 as far as foreign based crew are concerned and only fly them as part of a LH crew on a domestic service IE:SYD/ PER/SYD.

simsalabim
6th Jun 2011, 01:23
Just to clarify . I am talking about NZ based nationals employed by Jetconnect now operating alongside (taking the jobs of) Australian based Flight Attendants on Australian based Qantas 747's and A330's on Qantas Domestic Flights with stand alone Qantas mainline flight numbers.These flight are not continuing onto overseas destinations.The Fed Sec of FA's Association can confirm this .

skylarker
6th Jun 2011, 01:27
I am talking about NZ based nationals employed by Jetconnect now operating alongside (taking the jobs of) Australian based Flight Attendants on Australian based Qantas 747's and A330's on Qantas Domestic Flights with stand alone Qantas mainline flight numbers.Again, whats your point? This has been going on for years. This happened with the B743 on PER sectors. Again as part of a LH crew....nothing new happening here.
You could say that LH crew are taking away SH crew flying then....pfffft...been there before.
I still see SH crew slipping in SIN....doing LH flying.:mad:

simsalabim
6th Jun 2011, 01:32
Read the name of this thread and you will see my point.

skylarker
6th Jun 2011, 01:35
Up to 400 QF Cabin Crew to be axed - pilots next? (http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-reporting-points/453351-up-400-qf-cabin-crew-axed-pilots-next.html)Well that's incorrect as well, isn't it?

Voluntary Redundancy is not axed? CR is :mad:
Crew seem to be rather happy about this package coming along.

If you are insinuating that QF are using AKL based crew on domestic sectors while at the same time they are AXING cc, you are way of the mark.

If on the other hand if QF hire MAM casuals after AXING SH CC, then that is another matter I would think.

indamiddle
8th Jun 2011, 09:18
has been a lot ot talk about how many cc in lh will take the vcr and will qf achieve the 350-400 target. the biggest problem is how much superannuation accounts have recovered from the nato financial cricis. with the maximum payout around $120000 this won't be making a large increase in annual income in retirement. general chat seems to be not enough at this stage! the second problem for qf is part time crew. so many are very happy in part time, they feel as if they are in retirement already. if they don't have any plan for retirement why would they leave. perhaps a lot of short haulers may make up the numbers.
does anyone have any ideas if a package for tech crew would work i.e. bring forward retirement for pilots and get some promotion in your ranks