PDA

View Full Version : What is RBS?

Gabilane
22nd May 2011, 18:24
Working in Iraq. I hear other aircraft saying that they will maintain RBS with another aircraft infering that they will be clear vertically or horizontally with that other traffic. What does RBS mean and where can I find the definition and rules?

Thanks,

Gab

The Fat Controller
22nd May 2011, 19:24
Only a guess, but possibly Radar Based Separation, military aircraft using their airborne radar(s) to "see" and avoid other traffic, allowing them to operate as they wish.

Normal rules MAY not apply in Iraq ;)

Chilli Monster
22nd May 2011, 20:58
Normal rules do apply, it's just the place itself that is "different".

I've not heard RBS myself (though possibly as I've not spent enough time in the Ops room!). However - is it possible that you mave have misheard it and it was in fact "MARSA" (Military Assumes Responsibility for Separation).

What are you flying and where you based (PM me if you want).

Gabilane
22nd May 2011, 21:27
Nope. I know and think I understand MARSA... Although I think it is frequently misused. (From my understanding of how it is defined in the GP.)

I'm not military (I am retired military) but I fly contractor airplanes and I get offered MARSA frequently. We are not equipped/briefed or part of a group/formation that has each other's frequencies to participate in MARSA, although I hear many other contractors doing it. (And [personally] I think accepting MARSA with a UAV is crazy... but that's another subject.)

RBS only recently started being transmitted and I am curious about it. I don't see it in the GP or AIM.

ORTL
Gab

Grabbers
22nd May 2011, 22:15
Could you have heard 'RVS'?

Gabilane
23rd May 2011, 00:20
Well, I guess RVS is possible... but I have never heard that either and I don't think that is or should be commonly used.

RVSM does not apply to my equipment or altitudes.

Gab.

Catwalk Dweller
23rd May 2011, 14:48
"Nope. I know and think I understand MARSA... Although I think it is frequently misused. (From my understanding of how it is defined in the GP.)

I'm not military (I am retired military) but I fly contractor airplanes and I get offered MARSA frequently. We are not equipped/briefed or part of a group/formation that has each other's frequencies to participate in MARSA, although I hear many other contractors doing it. (And [personally] I think accepting MARSA with a UAV is crazy... but that's another subject.)"

Gabilane, I think you're spot on here - US application of MARSA procedures (I say "US" because you mention you're in Iraq) are very specific (follow this link to the US ATC manual, the 7110.65T and search for MARSA).

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/ATC.pdf

MARSA is never supposed to be "offered" to somebody!