PDA

View Full Version : Nav exams question

CharlieDeltaUK
26th Apr 2011, 09:19
I see there are two PPL exams relating to Nav: 1. Navigation, and 2. Flight Planning and Performance. I'm after some guidance on the content of each - I tried looking at LASORS but it didn't help.

For the Navigation exam, I'm reading the Pooley's Air Pilot's Manual volume 3 called simply 'Air Navigation'. The book has four sections: 1) Basic Navigation Theory 2) Flight Planning 3) En-Route Navigation 4) En Route Navigation with Radio Aids.

Is the whole volume needed for the Navigation exam, or does some of it relate to the Flight Planning and Performance Exam? In the book, the Flight Planning section is only about 40 pages.

turbulentmonkey
26th Apr 2011, 09:47
40 pages - That's because this exam is a little easier. Flight planning covers allowances for runway lengths, fuel planning, mass and balance of aircraft etc. It will also cover how to use the whizz wheel for the caluclations required.

Navigation is exactly what it sounds like. Nav, radio nav, and how to use the whiz wheel for calculating drift etc.

Cheers

dan_vector
26th Apr 2011, 11:02
Hi, I have already taken both exams and passed first time and if I can pass them anyone can!!

I used the Trevor Thoms (Pooleys) Navigation book and an hour with my instructor to go through the planning charts in the aircraft POH. As long as you understand how these charts work and what the meaning of TODA, TORA etc etc is then for the flight planning exam you'll do fine. For the NAV exam, as long as you can plan a flight accurately on the chart and Plog, understand the basics on radio Nav (ie what forms are available and how to use them), chart symbols (hint: use the charts symbol key!!), low flying rules and compass error/deviations, again you'll be fine!!

I really enjoyed those 2 exams actually as strange as it sounds!!

Good luck!