PDA

View Full Version : What does "zero speed" mean?

lfbb
8th Apr 2011, 21:12
For the second time while approaching to CDG in Paris the ATC asked for "zero speed", does anyone know what they are talking about?
Thanks

exosphere
8th Apr 2011, 22:55
Are you flying an helicopter? :}

Anyway, no idea!

bubbers44
8th Apr 2011, 23:53
Other than a helicopter or maybe at the top of a hammerhead stall? French people like to put other people down so maybe it is some game they play.

777fly
8th Apr 2011, 23:59
It's been a few years since I operated into CDG, but I believe the controller means that there is no speed control when he says 'zero speed'. In other words fly your own speed, 250kts below FL100 does not apply.

Torque Tonight
8th Apr 2011, 23:59
I'm guessing here but might they mean the minimum clean speed, as in Flaps 0 speed.

'Monsieur, pliz mek ze flap zero spid'. Not a very clear RT instruction but it wouldn't be the first time.

sevenstrokeroll
9th Apr 2011, 00:13
I think it is a term of derision used by Trixie when Speed has failed to please and or has forgotten her birthday! as in:

you are a ZERO, SPEED!

FlightPathOBN
9th Apr 2011, 00:15
For the second time while approaching to CDG in Paris the ATC asked for "zero speed"

Engines pulled back to idle descent...or "zero thrust" you have to manage your own TOD...you didnt get any level offs did you?

In other words fly your own speed, 250kts below FL100 does not apply

Thanks for the laugh! :}

cosmo kramer
9th Apr 2011, 01:01
"Watz es jrour speed" said quickly perhaps? ;)

Avenger
9th Apr 2011, 08:52
Parıs can be a gottcha, when they say no speed they mean you do not have to comply wıth the speed restrıctıons ın the Star and also when under vectors, but they don,t want you above 250kts below FL100

Loose rivets
9th Apr 2011, 14:29
What he said, but watch your tails!!!

Years ago, but CDG, we used to get. "Direct to . . ." etc. Several of our guys were threatened with something nasty because they had not continued with the SID, but taken them at their word.

Happily, I'd been on the receiving end of the most bewilderingly bad support during an emergency there, and when I agreed to let it be sorted in house, I was told I was owed a favor. I called the guy, and no more was heard about our new transgressions. (I personally hadn't fallen into the trap, but rather felt then, that settling things in this way was rather kool. I guess those days are gone forever.:()

aviatorhi
10th Apr 2011, 11:59
Thanks for the laugh! :}

What's so funny?

250+ below 10K is the norm in many places.

Exaviator
10th Apr 2011, 23:38
IFBB, Have you thought of asking the controller at the time.

All you had to do was reply with "Confirm no speed control".

Any time in doubt, ASK :=