PDA

View Full Version : Tune and Identify

sevenstrokeroll
26th Mar 2011, 01:15
hi, I just read a book ( a real book, not on kindle) about air navigation. Something called Radio Navigation (what this has to do with airplanes, I'm not sure).

Anyhoo, the book kept stressing something called: TUNE AND IDENTIFY

What does that mean? How do I do that?

;-)

SNS3Guppy
26th Mar 2011, 01:38
That's something that those still flying real airplanes (instead of gucci jets) still do.

compressor stall
26th Mar 2011, 01:42
-.-- --- ..- / .-.. .. ... - . -. / - --- / - .... . / -.. .. - ... / .- -. -.. / -.. .- .... ... / -.-. --- -- .. -. --. / ..-. .-. --- -- / - .... . / ... - .- - .. --- -. / .- -. -.. / -- .- -.- . / ... ..- .-. . / .. - .----. ... / - .... . / ... - .- - .. --- -. / - .... .- - / -.-- --- ..- / .-- .- -. - .-.-.-

Turbine D
26th Mar 2011, 02:22
Very clever compressor stall. :ok:

sevenstrokeroll,
Tune and identify. Tune the VOR frequency in the navigation radio. It will be listed on VFR and IFR charts as well as instrument approaches if it is a part of the approach. Identify that you have the correct station and the signal is reliable by listening to the Morse code identifier.:cool:

Capn Bloggs
26th Mar 2011, 02:25
the book kept stressing something called: TUNE AND IDENTIFY

What does that mean? How do I do that?
Wouldn't have a clue. Must be part of the procedure for using some new igadget that has hit the market.

That's something that those still flying real airplanes (instead of Gucci jets) still do.
Even in our gucci jet, if the navaid identifier eg "LHR" isn't displayed on the ND or PFD, we have to identify it with our ears.

And if you gen-Yers can't decode Compressor Stall's message, you can do it online here:

Online Conversion - Morse Code Conversion (http://www.onlineconversion.com/morse_code.htm)

("Find and replace" the slashes with spaces first! ;)

c100driver
26th Mar 2011, 02:41
- .... .- -. -.- ... ..-. --- .-. - .... . .-- . -... ... .. - . -.-- --- ..- .-.. . .- .-. -. ... --- -- . - .... .. -. --. -. . .-- . ...- . .-. -.-- -.. .- -.--

Capn Bloggs
26th Mar 2011, 02:54
- .... .- -. -.- ... ..-. --- .-. - .... . .-- . -... ... .. - . -.-- --- ..- .-.. . .- .-. -. ... --- -- . - .... .. -. --. -. . .-- . ...- . .-. -.-- -.. .- -.--
-- -.-- .--. .-.. . .- ... ..- .-. .

SNS3Guppy
26th Mar 2011, 03:31
. ..._ . ._. _.__ ... / ._ / _._. ___ . _.. .. ._ _.

doubleu-anker
26th Mar 2011, 06:35
I used/use S.I.D.

Select/tune the frequency

Identify the aid.

Display, check.

172_driver
26th Mar 2011, 07:15
TITS works well too... if a mnemonic should be necessary. Easy to remember for the "average" pilot :8

Tune

Ident

Twist

Standby

lion-g
26th Mar 2011, 07:38
hi

"YOU LISTEN TO THE DITS AND DAHS COMING FROM THE STATION AND MAKE SURE IT'S THE STATION THAT YOU WANT. "

"THANKSFORTHEWEBSITEYOULEARNSOMETHINGNEWEVERYDAY "

.. ..-. --- -. .-.. -.-- .. -.-. .- -. -.. --- .. - .-- .. - .... --- ..- - - .... . .-- . -... ... .. - . :(

Good fun, have a nice weekend,

lion-g