PDA

View Full Version : US PPL Flight Schools

Mr F
3rd May 2001, 23:35
Hi all,

I'm planning to do an intensive (3 week) PPL course in the US soon and would be interested in hearing from anyone who has recently completed a course (was it value for money, quality of instruction, treated like cattle by the school ?, etc).

Looking at the following schools:
Britannia Flight Centre, UK Flight Training, Ormand Beach Aviation, Orlando Flight Training, Naples Air Centre

Is it really feasible to do a course in 3 weeks (providing some study is done before) ???

cheers for any help

[This message has been edited by Mr F (edited 03 May 2001).]

FNG
4th May 2001, 00:29
Mr F, try posting this in Private Flying, where there is regular debate as to whether or not training in the US is a good thing.

PPL in 3 weeks? Well, maybe, just maybe...... if you are sharp, focussed and have continuous luck with wx and aircraft, but I suggest that it might be unwise to believe in "guarantees" in this regard. No doubt you already appreciate that even if you could get a licence in 3 weeks the learning process would then be just beginning.

I looked at the US places but ended up doing the ppl in the UK (it took me 11 months). I do not regret my choice, but can see arguments both ways. Try the other forum to see what they are... Good luck, whatever you do.

fcit
4th May 2001, 22:49
I did my PPL in 5 weeks in KFXE, which turned out flying nearly every day. I would guess that 3 weeks is too short, since you have to calculate some bad days (due wx) and some pratice time (a friend of mine tried to do it in 6 weeks and was unable, since he got sick). Beware of a school that promises you it may be done in that time without any problem (the only one having completed it within this time is probably the son or daughter of the instructor - since they obviously already spend some time in the right seat before :)).

I did mine at Sheffield School of Aeronautics (since I already knew the staff). I was pretty happy with the setup, however, there is a whole bunch of schools out there.

Cheers
fcit

Mr F
4th May 2001, 22:52
Thanks, have posted in the Private Flying forum now.

willbav8r
5th May 2001, 02:42
My tuppence would be to pass the written before attempting.

Still a push, as others have observed, but with the written out of the way, there is a much better chance of accomplishing.

FNG, well said: it is just the beginning. 3 weeks must leave out a lot of learning whatever the school/weather etc.