PDA

View Full Version : Literature preparing you for an ATC career

Dystopia
31st Jan 2011, 18:27
Dear reader,

I'm currently in my first year of University but I've quit half way because I've lost all interest in my current field of study because my dream is to do something aviation-related, air traffic control to be more precise. But the problem is math wasn't exactly my best subject at school, nor did I ever get any Physics.

So I was wondering if anyone knew the title of some books I could read in order to fresh everything up, to prepare me.

I've been looking at the "CBT SET: Essential GCSE Maths and Physics Part 1 + 2" (http://www.oatmedia.com/products.asp?cat=12) by OAA media and I was wondering if this is a decent choise or if there is anything better. Any other beneficial books are welcome as well

Thanks in advance,
Dystopia

SS10
2nd Feb 2011, 10:08
You don't exactly need A-levels in maths and physics anyway mate. As long as your competent with basic maths I wouldn't worry too much.

chevvron
2nd Feb 2011, 10:30
But if you've got a record of quitting courses, the question will be asked amongst the selectors 'he's done it once, will he do it again?'
Theyll be unwilling to commit vast sums of money starting to train you just to have you quit halfway through. Training to be an ATCO requires dedication, not just an attitude of 'if I don't like it I'll resign'.

Avoiding_Action
2nd Feb 2011, 12:21
Then again I know many different validated Air Traffic Controllers who dropped out of Uni.

Not Long Now
2nd Feb 2011, 13:59
Just like me. At my interview, I was asked why I hadn't finished Uni, said I had no idea why I was there and no interest in the course so left, and we simply moved on to talk about really hard stuff like times of arrival at an airfield from various ranges at various speeds. Learn your 60 times table and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Dystopia
3rd Feb 2011, 09:40
@ Chevron;

Same thing crossed my mind, but during my studies I kept thinking "This isn't what I want to do, I'm not passioned about it. I want to do something I'm really interested in, which is aviation and Air Traffic Control, something I'm willing to do for the rest of my life."

I'm aware of the necessarily dedication and the amount of money they have to put in me. I will do my best to convince them that I dropped out because I really want to go for a career as an ATCO.

@ SS10;

I wasn't really sure about the required knowledge of math and physics, thanks for clearing that up, but I'm afraid my basic maths isn't that great either. I could really use some freshing up. Perhaps those books could be of any benefit?

pewpewpew
6th Feb 2011, 20:43
Don't worry too much about the 'quitting' thing. I quit two separate uni courses and that came up at the interview. I was honest about it (not where I saw myself going). I managed to turn it into a positive as it's taking positive control of your life as opposed to letting it run. Something that many a mentor later on will drill into you with regards to ATC.

ILS 119.5
7th Feb 2011, 11:48
The only maths you will need is to calculate where the top of descent will start and compression rates if you work at a busy approach unit.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
7th Feb 2011, 12:43
<<compression rates >>

I'm not familiar with that term and I worked in an approach unit for 31 years...?

AJArkley
8th Feb 2011, 16:05
<<
Literature preparing you for an ATC career
>>

MATS Part 1 and CAP413 if you're in the UK :ok:

Aethelwulf
8th Feb 2011, 17:20
HD: Could it be by what rate two aircrafts come closer to each other as the first one starts to slow down?

just a happy guess

EDIT: Unless he means Compression Ratio, but I would be quite surprised if we are to study that at an ATCO-class...

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
8th Feb 2011, 17:43
<<compression rates >>

Just spoke to a fully valid Heathrow radar controller with almost 10 years experience - they'd never heard the term..

Dystopia
8th Feb 2011, 20:53
I'm currently reading a speed maths book, should be quite helpful afaik

45 before POL
8th Feb 2011, 22:02
Plenty of controllers have either stopped their uni courses to pursue a career in Air Traffic. Thay will ask. If you are still studying say so and how you wish you had gone straight into it from the start.
There is an element on motivation and being able to complete something but a solid response and proof of motivation will help

Good Luck

BTW ...No degree, left 2 months before A level exams for my goal and yes they took me.

On the beach
9th Feb 2011, 15:36
Why bother with literature when you can learn everything you need from a video?

oDSA7bpchXQ&feature=feedrec_grec_index

On the beach :)