PDA

View Full Version : Which option

Incus
17th Nov 2010, 17:26
My UK CAA PPL (A) SEP rating has expired by more than 5 years, I also have a current NPPL (M). I’ve been flying a 3 axis for the past 4 years, recently bought a share in an LSA, reading through LASORS & the NPPL web site it appears I have 3 options to obtain a licence/rating to fly the LSA:
1. CAA PPL (A) - renew SEP rating.
2. CAA PPL (A) to NPPL SSEA.
3. NPPL (M) to SSEA.
The process, skills test + oral exam, for options 1 & 2 appear to be same – are they? Option 3 is a tad more involved.
I would like to go with option 1, but with the upcoming EASA licence changes I have read that the CAA PPL (A) will have to be replaced by a EASA licence. Also there is talk about the introduction of an EASA LAPL to replace the NPPL. Which way to go?

Whopity
17th Nov 2010, 18:59
I would suggest that you renew your existing JAA SEP rating, the test will take about an hour, whilst most examiners will ask a few oral questions there is no mention of it in the test schedule (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/FORSRG1157.pdf). A JAA licence will be accepted by EASA as an EASA licence so it gives you the greatest range of options at a time when all other options have a degree of uncertainty.

Incus
18th Nov 2010, 12:30
That would solve the problem, but my licence is a CAA PPL (A) issued before the JAA was a twinkle in some eurocrates eye. I renew the SEP rating only to find the EASA take away my grandfather rights and tell me I need an EASA license which will cost more. Maybe that won't happen for a few years?

flybymike
18th Nov 2010, 15:50
If you have a current or expired IMC rating, or proof of radio nav training, then your CAA PPL should be directly exchangeable for an EASA licence with no further test requirement . I have no idea what the fee might turn out to be for this (totally unnecessary) exercise in violation of human rights and emasculation of a perfectly valid ICAO licence

EDMJ
19th Nov 2010, 21:41
my licence is a CAA PPL (A) issued before the JAA was a twinkle in some eurocrates eye.

I´ve been in the same situation, letting my German ICAO-PPL expire about 5 years ago while flying 3-axis microlight. I recently took some refresher training and a skill test, and then got my ICAO-PPL back.

You should therefore also be able to get your ICAO-PPL back again fairly easily?

sunday driver
20th Nov 2010, 16:22
MY CAA PPL(A) SEP renewal date was spring 09
Last month I booked some refresher sessions at my local and after two hours the CFI told me he was happy to sign my C of Test

Simples:)

SD