PDA

View Full Version : Lion Air 734 off runway at Pontanak

readywhenreaching
2nd Nov 2010, 09:02
bumby touchdown, limited runway lengh and wet conditions.
looks like a hull loss to me.

story here:
JACDEC - Current News (http://www.jacdec.de/news/news.htm)

parabellum
2nd Nov 2010, 09:23
I've seen the Boeing team put back together much worse cases than that appears to be. Just depends on what it's insured value was and just how difficult to access and recover, including any political crap Boeing might have to put up with regarding the importation of spares etc. from customs. The cost of repair plus bribes may well put the whole project beyond economic repair.

Doors to Automatic
2nd Nov 2010, 17:15
Ah the old Indonesian Flap 5 and 220kts VREF SOP in practice again?

Works best on rainy days with <1800m LDA :ok:

FlyingSerb
2nd Nov 2010, 19:18
Haha flap 5 Vref 220 ;)

Anyways again Indonesia unfortunaly. Aren't there a lot of European pilots at Lion Air?

OldChinaHand
2nd Nov 2010, 21:32
Well I thought that TUNDRA TYRES might be a good solution.

Capt. Inop
2nd Nov 2010, 22:08
Haha flap 5 Vref 220

Unfortunately, it's not a joke.

tiekerlove
3rd Nov 2010, 00:52
I was inside the airport and drizle at the airport and I saw Lion Air landing and crash land on the runway.02.11.2011 its look a like B-737 aircraft.:cool:

justasmallfire
3rd Nov 2010, 00:56
It was a 73/4 from what I believe,more a runway over run in kalimantan (borneo) by some 20m,

Sunstar320
3rd Nov 2010, 06:18
YouTube - lion air tergelincir di bandara supadio,pontianak (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BrGBPAXmqU)

arba
3rd Nov 2010, 06:57
so he's out 20 meters, is that Ok ? I saw the engine cowl touched the ground.

HamishMcBush
5th Nov 2010, 18:24
tiekerlove wrote

I was inside the airport and drizle at the airport and I saw Lion Air landing and crash land on the runway.02.11.2011 its look a like B-737 aircraft

Time-traveller, are you?

Doors to Automatic
6th Nov 2010, 13:51
WIth reference to the March 9th, 2009 incident in Jakarta, it never ceases to amaze me how it is possible for an aircraft which requires around 3000ft to stop to overrun a 12000ft runway! :confused:

fox niner
7th Nov 2010, 19:09
that depends on the mach number with which you cross the threshold.:}

Tmbstory
8th Nov 2010, 16:37
It is not just Lion Air that has problems in Indonesian Airspace, many Airlines do. A lot of it is " the land at any cost attitude", coupled with the weather / rain etc and the not over long runways.

It has not changed much in the 40 odd years that that I have watched it.

Shamrock767
14th Nov 2010, 12:20
Lion Air do suffer from some incident involving overrun

There are numerous incident involving Lion Air aircraft skid off from the runway/overrun but never been reported to KNKT (NTSB in Indonesia). So when they got one of their A/C overrun (any type...even their newest 737NG also had an overrun a while ago but never made it to the public), they simply drag it out from the grass using the tug..pull it to the apron, and finally put them back in to service again...i never knew how they managed to do it without anyone know..

that's why this airline still in EU blacklist..

and i believe the aircraft who involved in the accident is written of

btw, this's my first post :)

Flying Cangcorang
14th Nov 2010, 12:49
hahaha... it must be "insiders secret" for unreported accident...
It's not abou EU unfair about the black list, but JT performance like they don't want to be lifted fro EU ban.. :(

anyway, this is my first post.. :)

IFixPlanes
14th Nov 2010, 12:58
There are numerous incident involving Lion Air aircraft skid off from the runway/overrun but never been reported to KNKT (NTSB in Indonesia). ...
How do you know?

lomapaseo
14th Nov 2010, 13:06
There are numerous incident involving Lion Air aircraft skid off from the runway/overrun but never been reported to KNKT (NTSB in Indonesia). So when they got one of their A/C overrun (any type...even their newest 737NG also had an overrun a while ago but never made it to the public), they simply drag it out from the grass using the tug..pull it to the apron, and finally put them back in to service again...i never knew how they managed to do it without anyone know..

There are ICAO standards for reporting and to whom and I don't believe that they all include the public.

Shamrock767
14th Nov 2010, 22:36
How do I know ?

Well...some of my friend are working in Airline Industry in Indonesia..and one of my friend friend's happen to see one of the "unreported" incident in Padang and Pekanbaru

There is a thread in local forum discussing about JT, and I must say..those "unreported overrun" is only small pieces regarding JT safety..another one is smoke in the cockpit but didn't declare anything due to "do you want to declare emergency. Descent ? No don't ! It will make us embarassed !" And another one pilots flying above their hours limit of 110 hours..which resulted quite a fatigue...

Cheers

PT6A
29th Dec 2010, 14:49
http://www.dephub.go.id/knkt/ntsc_aviation/baru/pre/Preliminary%20Report%20PK-LIQ.pdf

Accident report.

ReverseFlight
29th Dec 2010, 15:37
I think the pilots performed well given the critical circumstances. No one was injured. Contrary to speculation earlier in this thread, the approach speeds were all correct and the overrun (on a wet runway, note) was very likely as a direct consequence of mechanical failure of the thrust reversers.

PT6A
29th Dec 2010, 15:44
I think I would have to disagree the approach was not stabilised, this is why the report makes reference to the fact Lion Air training is failing in the area of ALAR (among other areas)

BOAC
29th Dec 2010, 16:13
the approach speeds were all correct - that may well have been so, but they do not appear to have been flown!

Anyone know if LA have ANY stabilised approach criteria at all? Loc intercept at 1300'/180kts is sporty too!

PT6A
29th Dec 2010, 17:06
The bits that stand out to me are:- they were planning and briefed for a F40 landing, however due to a problem F40 was not available, so in IMC they continued an approach, flaps 40 finally became available at 600 feet.

I think this alone should of been enough to trigger a go-around find a nice place to hold see if they could fix the problem, if not look at the data for the airport... (short runway and wet) decide if it is still a good idea to land there.. If not bugger off to another airport with a longer runway.

Then, they land beyond the TDZ in an aircraft the commander knew had a history of speed brake / reverser problems.

This is why I conclude the crew fell short of what should be expected. But the biggest failing is that of the airline and its regulator for allowing the company to be operated in this way.

It was by the grace of god that nobody was hurt, not piloting skill.

PT6A

BOAC
29th Dec 2010, 17:11
due to a problem F40 was not available - without seeing the complete FDR trace my guess is that F40 WAS available, but they were too fast for it and the F40 flap load relief was operating. Still,.as you say, g/a country.

PT6A
29th Dec 2010, 17:15
Actually many reasons for a GA, but that is not the "Lion Air way" fast landings outside the TDZ that float are the norm.

I actually got that information out of the Boeing reps mouth after they had been looking at the flight quality assurance data....

I don't have that aircraft in my Lido/takeoff but I had been informed by others that the perf would not of been legally met for that landing. (I am informed that at the time of landing the runway would of actually been contaminated with standing water) easy to understand as the runways are not level and not groved... Thus easy to see how these situations arise!

PT6A

BOAC
29th Dec 2010, 20:14
I defer.of course, to your official Boeing source, but privately I wager that the speed was above 162kts when the flaps reached 30 and finally reduced below 157kts at 600'.:)

PT6A
30th Dec 2010, 04:41
The Boeing rep was referring to the trend in Lion Air (not just this accident) that the data shows they have a habbit of landing long and overspeed.

There have also been many cases where they have landed despite it not being legal to do so for perf reasons.

PT6A

mutt
30th Dec 2010, 05:55
The Boeing rep was referring to the trend in Lion Air So a Boeing representative has made a statement that opens them up to massive liability................. I can just imagine those Gulfstream 5's leaving New York right now with a flood of lawyers :):)

PT6A, you really appear to have a problem with Lion Air.... what is it?

Mutt

PT6A
30th Dec 2010, 06:30
Not just with Lion Air, but with these cowboy operators. Infact the attitude of the whole country as far as the aviation sector goes when it comes to safety.

Innocent passengers can't be expected to know what's going on, they place their trust in the authorities.

Sadly these in Indonesia are lacking, the EU has already banned them so there is not much more that can be done externally.

And would they not use a BBJ?

I don't see how it opens Boeing up? They don't tell Lion to land long and above speed....

PT6A

mutt
30th Dec 2010, 07:55
I don't see how it opens Boeing up? They don't tell Lion to land long and above speed.... If Boeing can be shown to have known about the lack of procedures and done nothing to change the procedures in the airline, then it makes them responsible.

Europe didn't ban Lion Air as they didn't fly there! Regardless of what that list states, it only affected Garuda. Lion then went on to get additional audits conducted by some of the countries where they flew long haul flights, they passed these audits!

I'm impressed with your tenacity against Lion Air..... you never mention Mandala, Air Asia Indonesia or any of the others...... Strange :confused::confused:

Mutt

A37575
31st Dec 2010, 12:28
Hey chaps - it's Indonesia. Prangs are SOP in that country:ok:

jetjockey696
31st Dec 2010, 17:27
Batavia... if you fly with these guys as pax,.. you dont want to see the cockpit... so many yellow stickers MEL.. they dont have the money to buy the parts.. so they just move the parts around. so the the aircraft doesnt exceed the MEL date..

Another problem with Indonesia flight safety.. is the loading of excess cargo on to a flight which is not authorised by the company..last minute extra tonne of cargo. Capt making a 1million rupiah (95dollars per trip) and Fo 45usd... per trip... this practice is common among many operators... just hope nothing happens to these guys.

Good luck besides its a new year. Happy flying.. be safe, and aleast follow some SOPs. :ok:

robtheblade
31st Dec 2010, 19:31
I have flown with Lion Air many times. Don't think they have time to load cargo.