PDA

View Full Version : Turkish Airlines jets collusion avoided by 100 meters

Entaroadun
21st Oct 2010, 12:34
Turkish press have published radio logs of a talk between THY pilot and tower of istanbul ataturk airport.
I do not have the English translation but it has been reported that due to tower error two THY planes were near collision on 13 oct. The collision was avoided by 100 meters.
When you read the recording, flight controller begs and tries to convince the pilot not to report him, and the pilot accepts...
I wonder what professional pilots think about this incident?

dontdoit
21st Oct 2010, 12:54
The same that I think about having 2 TCAS RAs over central London and ignoring them...the same as 3 pilots on a rushed approach to AMS missing the fact that thrust was at idle...the same as mis-identifying the landing R/w at AMS and running off the end...the list goes on and on. Look in any of the online job search engines and ask yourself why most of the jobs nearest to the EU are in Turkey.

The Ancient Geek
21st Oct 2010, 13:29
Turkey is not in the EU.
(Yet).

BOAC
21st Oct 2010, 14:49
the same as mis-identifying the landing R/w at AMS and running off the end. - have I missed something or are you planting a red herring?

Lonewolf_50
21st Oct 2010, 15:06
BOAC, it is my impression that he is alluding to the industry being continually hampered by human errors due to how it is being run, of which each example he cites is a data point.

But maybe I misunderstood his post.

BOAC
21st Oct 2010, 15:09
Fine - but which 'data point' is that?

Lonewolf_50
21st Oct 2010, 15:11
I'll defer to dontdoit, as its his point made ... or not. :cool:

Beavis and Butthead
21st Oct 2010, 15:17
BOAC

I think he is referring to the Correndon 737 that put it's nosegear in the mud at the end of Runway 22 recently.

BOAC
21st Oct 2010, 15:30
Yes, we think so - but does she/she have 'inside information' on what happened - as far as we know

a) It landed on the intended runway
b) did not go 'off the end'

ddi thinks differently. This is new 'information' (or crap)

BrATCO
21st Oct 2010, 15:42
How does the press know there were only 100 m ?

Why did the controller ask the pilot not to report the incident ?

Why did the pilot keep the information ?

Is there a "just culture" policy in Turkish ATC ?

If there's no report, no investigation, nobody will ever know what happened, thus this will happen again...

Sallyann1234
21st Oct 2010, 15:49
A rather ironic error in the thread title, if the report is true.

BrATCO
21st Oct 2010, 15:56
That's the answer to my questions 2 and 3. :)

akerosid
21st Oct 2010, 17:23
Sallyann1234 got there before me; there does seem to have been some mid air collusion!

"flight controller begs and tries to convince the pilot not to report him, and the pilot accepts..."

Does anyone know what types are involved?

Seems a little naive of the TK crews to participate in the collusion when they know their conversations are being recorded!

camel
21st Oct 2010, 18:00
All the Man United boys 'feel like a starrrrrr' playing footie on the aircraft ?

oooops what we gonna do with Wayne now Bobby?

Wayne who?

(this tempting fate or what ?)

Marcus777
21st Oct 2010, 18:53
Yeah all good,but what about Rooney? City bound?

camel
21st Oct 2010, 20:03
Man City 2/1.... Inshallah..bit close to the ex tho
Real Mad 5/2...suits u sir
Chelsky 5/1...ahem no monkey biz alllowed
Spurs 25/1...dream on 'arry !

fly fun
21st Oct 2010, 20:14
I do not approve acts of both sides but you talk like you have heard this first time in your life. A few months ago Spanish controller was late to direct trafics and asked us whether report the situations. He/She was not too brave to say not report the situations but cannot disguised his intention..

Yellow Pen
21st Oct 2010, 20:24
My experience of Istanbul ATC is generally fairly negative. It's the only place I've had a push back stopped mid-push to allow a local aircraft to get ahead of me. Twice. I've also been number two for approach to a local aircraft which was slower and 80 miles behind me. Go figure. Mind you Ankara are generally fine.

BrATCO
21st Oct 2010, 21:36
Yellow Pen,I've also been number two for approach to a local aircraft which was slower and 80 miles behind me.
In a sequence, changing a number is much more difficult than taking number one, land it. Then number two, land it, and so on.

If you were number one, faster. I imagine around 250kt that's 15 min on the runway.
Why did they bother ?

BrATCO
21st Oct 2010, 21:45
Fly Fun,

He/She was not too brave to say not report the situations but cannot disguised his intention..

As I understand it, in regard of the unusual situation in Spain, the controller might have wished you would file the report.

Yellow Pen
21st Oct 2010, 21:59
BrATCO - we did ask why we were being delayed. Strangely enough we didn't get an answer. Or an EAT. We were simply instructed to hold at FL230 whilst the TK aircraft we'd overhauled somewhere over Romania was descended below us and sequenced ahead of us. The runway was open at IST and a small number of other TK aircraft landed ahead of us from other directions.

BrATCO
21st Oct 2010, 22:09
Ok, I just find it surprising.
And, all in all, more difficult thus less efficient than the method I described above.

Shell Management
21st Oct 2010, 22:09
At least this incident became known because the airline industry's squimishness on CVRs does not extend to air to ground communication.

akerosid
22nd Oct 2010, 03:20
Report from a Turkish newspaper:

Big collision narrowly missed at ?stanbul airport (http://www.todayszaman.com/tz-web/news-225026-101-big-collision-narrowly-missed-at-istanbul-airport.html)

OldChinaHand
22nd Oct 2010, 04:24
I think the thread starter intended to say "collision", not collusion !!

fermented herring
22nd Oct 2010, 06:36
and the heading states that the collusion was avoided:)

jackx123
22nd Oct 2010, 07:05
I remember way back, 20 odd years ago, when BA got the preferred sequence by ATC requiring most other airlines to hold whilst waiting for BA to finish their business.

If you have a few hundred flights arriving a LHR a day 15min hold is worth $$$$

BOAC
22nd Oct 2010, 07:36
Ah! Istanbul - the mysterious orient - my pervading memory is being short final 05 at about 1/2 mile in a 737-800 to be asked excitedly by the controller if I could switch to 35.................................:ouch:

Derry turns not in my repertoire in 737s:)

crispey
23rd Oct 2010, 08:41
Is there any more definitive reporting on this incident?I flew in there as SLF on THY from MAN on the day in question and have listened to liveatc's archive for the appropriate time slot of our landing.Nothing untoward there but that's just one half hour portion of a 24 hour day.