PDA

View Full Version : A/G Operators i.e. callsign 'Radio'

Ryan5252
3rd Oct 2010, 18:14
Quick question if you don't mind. What kind of licence is required to conduct A/G operations at my local club? I have a PPL so I have an FRTOL but as I understand it this allow allows me to operate the radio in the air from my own aircraft hence the 'F' in FRTOL!

Any help would be appreciated as I am looking to relieve the pressure from a few hard working guys who spend endless hours bored in the tower!

Cheers,
Ryan

jarvis123
3rd Oct 2010, 18:27
In the old days the CAA would issue an A/G radio operator licence on the basis of your FRTOL. Not anymore, now you need to sit an exam with your friendly RT examiner. Some details here:

Radio Operator's Certificate | Air Traffic Standards | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=43&pagetype=90&pageid=10268)

2 sheds
3rd Oct 2010, 18:38
If the service is worth providing, why should they be bored?

All the references are in the link provided by jarvis123. You will note that the required qualification is a certificate to operate, it is not a licence.

2 s

Ryan5252
4th Oct 2010, 00:49
Thanks for the help, will get the exams done asap. Im starting to think I should just leave a blank cheque book with the CAA!!

If the service is worth providing, why should they be bored?
The service is absolutely worth providing and is second to none, there can be stretches when the weather is less than perfect but the tower remains open regardless. I can think of better things to do with my time than sit up there listening to the rain on the glass - but all for the common good I say.

chevvron
4th Oct 2010, 03:14
The cost is charged by the examiner and so varies.
With an FRTOL you should have no problem with the written exam, just make sure on the practical you don't lapse into FISO terminology eg 'at your discretion'.(get a copy of CAP452 for the phraseology)
I used to be an examiner but when the CAA introduced reams of paperwork for the practical, I let my authorisation lapse. By the way, I just looked at the list of examiners to see if I was still on it; would you believe the examiner for Surrey is apparently based in Cornwall!

Talkdownman
4th Oct 2010, 06:08
the examiner for Surrey is apparently based in Cornwall
That's our very own 'Evil Jethro' at EGHQ on the forums. Check first for any examiner travel expenses!

2 sheds
5th Oct 2010, 11:36
the CAA introduced reams of paperwork for the practical

I am not quite sure what the objection is. It's only a written record of the practical test and can be easily done with self-evident abbreviations. If there were no such record, there would be problems if there were an appeal against a failure. Further, the CAA reserves the right to moderate the result and there could, in an extreme, be evidence to overturn a pass decision. Surely, it is just a matter of running the procedure on a formal, organised basis?

2 s

airpolice
8th Oct 2010, 17:29
The, very impressive, examiner who did my test recorded the whole thing on a C60 and that seemed to tick all the boxes from debrief to CAA record keeping.