PDA

View Full Version : Capt Burkill to re-join BA

Lotpax
29th Sep 2010, 08:48
From todays Independent.

Hero pilot to rejoin British Airways - Home News, UK - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/hero-pilot-to-rejoin-british-airways-2092808.html)

I hope it is true.

fmgc
29th Sep 2010, 09:09
What about his seniority?

boredcounter
29th Sep 2010, 09:30
and I am not a pilot but am industry on the ground.

I have no doubt at all that the actions of the Crew saved the hull and pax from a very nasty prang. fair play to both of the guys at the sharp end and the boys and girls in the cabin.

Is my track of this one correct?

Capt took VR from BA?

Capt posted response on PPrune stating wife has to work 2 days a week? as he could not find work as a B777 driver?

Capt and wife #3 wrote book?

#3 left

Money ran out?

Now back at BA?

I gess here, SFO upgrades knocked back by one?

Flightmech
29th Sep 2010, 09:32
Just proves some clouds do actually have silver linings. Good on both BA and Capt. Burkill.

fmgc
29th Sep 2010, 09:42
If he gets back his old seniority position then surely all the pilots' contracts have been contravened, and seniority has been made a mockery, hero or not.

Dave Bloke
29th Sep 2010, 09:49
As a Nigel who was/is junior to Captain Burkill, I have no problem with him resuming his previous seat, even if my seniority drops by one place.

IMHO, his judgement was clouded (for what I would hope are obvious reasons!) when he made the decision to leave. I believe common sense has prevailed.

Airbrake
29th Sep 2010, 10:22
If you leave a seniority list that's it. You cant just say sorry that was a bad idea and come back, otherwise where would it all end?

coldair
29th Sep 2010, 10:40
I'm very pleased that he is rejoining BA.

He seemed to have got a lot of 'stick' from his colleagues which obviously got him down and he felt he had to leave BA.

Well done to BA for letting him back, a happy ending at last and shame to the BA colleagues who slagged him off.

Skipness One Echo
29th Sep 2010, 10:44
If you leave a seniority list that's it. You cant just say sorry that was a bad idea and come back, otherwise where would it all end?

With a very particular set of circumstances with both parties realising it could have been handled better? Wise men allow exceptions to even good rules, which are for guidance rather than prisons for men.

Doors to Automatic
29th Sep 2010, 10:45
Hear hear - the man was responsible for saving over 150 lives due to an incident which arose through no fault of his own (or of his FO).

I am delighted he has been re-instated in his old position and at his old seniority level and wish him the very best for his future career with BA.

Flightmech
29th Sep 2010, 10:47
Awaiting the arrival of 411A:{

wiggy
29th Sep 2010, 10:51
If you leave a seniority list that's it. You cant just say sorry that was a bad idea and come back, otherwise where would it all end

Tricky one this, do you make an exception in this case or do you have to consider applications for remployment from everyone who took voluntary redundancy and is now regretting the decision.

That said the circumstances of Pete's departure were somewhat exceptional and I have a lot of sympathy for him, I'm another one who believe's Pete's judgement was clouded by the things that happened and things that were said at BA in the aftermath of the accident.

26er
29th Sep 2010, 11:08
Other people will be able to confirm this with greater knowledge than I but many years ago when BEA HR was called Mr Stephenson and flight managers had some authority a fairly newly promoted Trident captain ( Howard ******? ) went downhill and eventually became a "down and out". He lost his wife and family. Then one of the company doctors became aware of this chap, realised he was suffering from an affliction which could be treated, and dealt with him. He recovered and was re- instated after being sick for a couple of years. Don't know about his "dragon" though. Also, although the contract specified a maximum sick leave of six months flight management authorised extensions in some cases. One guy I know was on full pay for a year and then on half pay for a further few months until he regained his medical category. It may have cost the airline a few quid but the effect on morale was worth it and we even stopped slagging off the flight manager for a short time.

ETOPS
29th Sep 2010, 11:08
There is a precedent for this already. One of our SFO's returned after overcoming a medical problem - he was away for a number of years. Everybody was pleased to see him back and the "loss" of a single place didn't upset too many.

I lost 330 places just after joining BA - but that's another story.........

fireflybob
29th Sep 2010, 11:16
Am pleased to hear this news. In this case, I say b****r the seniority list! Difference between doing "things right" (aka management) and doing "the right thing" (leadership) - BA have shown leadership, in my opinion.

stansdead
29th Sep 2010, 11:26
I am delighted for Peter.

The immense stress that he was under after this incident has been recognised and he has been vindicated by the AAIB report.

I am really chuffed for him. One place of seniority doesn't matter. Or it shouldn't.

Just think how you'd like to be treated in the same circumstances............

IvorBiggun
29th Sep 2010, 11:27
Well done to the two senior BALPA reps who have massively influenced this.

You know who you are and well done to both of you.

Happy to lose a place on the list for Peter.

arem
29th Sep 2010, 11:50
Well done Peter - and also BA for showing some compassion.

captplaystation
29th Sep 2010, 11:56
Great news! ! :ok: nice to hear that BALPA achieved something positive too, although I think taking someone out for a curry & a few beers also fell into this category ;)

gsky
29th Sep 2010, 11:58
Brilliant.

Deserved and appropriate

Best of Luck to Peter and his family

Bealzebub
29th Sep 2010, 12:03
About a year ago almost to the day, I wrote this reply to a thread in the Terms & endearment forum on this subject. (http://www.pprune.org/terms-endearment/389788-ex-ba-captain-jobseeker-allowance-5.html#post5209518)

So where is the help?

You go to work everyday and then one day something serious happens. Suddenly the skills, reactions and responses that you trained and briefed all those years for, are compressed into a few seconds, where what you do will have an impact that will affect hundreds of people for years afterwards.

Through no fault of your own, a large transport aircraft suffers a total power failure on the edge of a highly populated city at a late stage of its landing approach. The actions of the crew throughout and immediately afterwards result in everybody surviving and the only obvious significant damage being that to an insured lump of metal.

Despite a very positive outcome that results from the crews control, it is ironic in that it will probably be the last time they have very much control of anything that happens subsequently. With any serious incident or accident, there is an enormous level of trauma and stress that will affect all of the participants. Initially this is masked by the adrenalin and plethora of events taking place around you. The adrenalin will wear off over a few days, but the stress usually won't. The results for the individual can (and will) run an entire spectrum of emotions and physical consequences. Recovery from this condition takes time, and that period of time varies enormously from person to person. It is also often a great deal longer than the individual themselves thinks.

Despite a fantastic outcome, this accident was obviously a very high profile one. As soon as it happened, a whole host of machines went into action. The worlds press decended. The airlines management and public relations departments went into overdrive. The various operational and regulatory authorities demanded information. The Sky news/ CNN/ ITN/ BBC viewing public either had their own "expert" opinion on what happened, or wanted to have someone else provide one for them in a a 30 minute rolling news clip. Like the audience in a roman gladiatorial contest, they wanted to give their thumbs up or down as they were guided to see fit. They wanted labels, hero's and villains.

There can't have been many professional airline crewmembers who didn't cringe at the spectacle of this clearly traumatised crew being paraded before the worlds press within 24 hours. The smiles didn't hide a great deal. No doubt the action was by consent and seemed a good idea in the overall context of corporate support and good P.R. However it didn't appear to be putting the interests of the crewmembers welfare paramount?

With the media circus in full swing, as it became obvious that answers were (as often is the case) going to outlive the attention span of a soundbite audience, so others sought their 3 minutes of fame with their own tittle tattle, previously innocuous photographs, and supposed human interest stories. The TV cameras were quickly off covering something fresher, but the newspapers are able to extract a longer story lifespan by knocking down the heros they or a competitor created. Nevertheless, good, bad, hero, villain it all serves to fill the space that has to be sold for a profit.

In the meantime what happens to the individuals involved? How do they cope with the stress left behind after the interest has waned? How do their families cope? What are the long term repercussions? How have their own lives been changed? What help is still being afforded to them?

There must be a very real desire to make it all just go away and reset the world to a previous point in time, that is simply not going to happen. There must be a desire to eventually dismiss help, and simply get things back to a perception of normality. Even "professional celebrities" shun the stress that comes from the attention. Those that never courted it, must find it a greater version of hell. The unforseen consequences start to become apparant.

So my question is, where is the help for these people, but in this context, the crew involved in this accident? Irrespective of the fact that someone sought voluntary redundancy, I believe (and perhaps they do to) the previous employer has a moral obligation to provide whatever support and assistance it realistically and conceivably can. What of the pilots union (if one was involved)? What influence and pressure can their offices bring to help and support these individuals in continuing their careers and rebuilding their lives?

These are special cases that deserve special treatment. There will have been a great deal of stress and trauma to be overcome, and it is entirely justified that those with a vested interest and the ability to do so, go out of their way to provide whatever assitance they can.

I am very pleased that after a period of time, all parties have shown a high degree of common sense, maturity and compassion. For those people whinging about seniority lists etc. These were very unusual circumstances with profoundly extenuating aspects. I am sure mistakes were made on all sides, and it is entirely right and proper that the situation is restored as closely as possible to that that existed at the time of the incident, for all parties. Well done to everybody concerned and involved. Hopefully this family can now resume their lives in a manner that best suits themselves.

SkyRocket10
29th Sep 2010, 12:04
If you leave a seniority list that's it. You cant just say sorry that was a bad idea and come back, otherwise where would it all end

Maybe not, but this is an exceptional case and I'm glad commonsense has finally prevailed. :ok:

Despite that, I understand the contract is yet to be finalised and I'm pretty sure as much as BA may be happy for Pete to retain his original seniority, they will be very reluctant to bring him back on PP24. There is also the fact that he walked away with a significant amount of redundancy, which again the company aren't just going to write off.

Helen49
29th Sep 2010, 12:17
Good news for Capt. Burkill. Whilst a few may have lost a seniority position, this guy played a major role in saving many lives. The circumstances of his re-instatement are rare and therefore a rare 'excursion' from the rules is justified. Surely justice has been done.......I bet the survivors from BA38 would wish for this outcome. I wish him well.
Helen49

Mmmayday38
29th Sep 2010, 12:26
Thanks so much for all your support.

I am delighted that the discussions with British Airways, have come to a mutually, happy conclusion. In my opinion British Airways is the pinnacle of any pilots' career and it is my honour and privilege to be returning to an airline that I joined as a young man.
As a British Airways employee, I will comply with British Airways rules on Social Media interaction. My family and I would like to take this final opportunity to publically express our thanks for all the support we have been given over the past couple of years, from family, friends, colleagues and strangers. We are looking forward to resuming a 'normal' life and anonymity once again!

"Mmmayday38" signing off :ok:

HKPAX
29th Sep 2010, 13:01
Helen49 - not only saved lives (isn't that enough?) but if BA had took a total loss that day it would have had a humungeously bad impact on employee jobs. (Swissair anyone?). So whose seniority would he be displacing exactly?

Evanelpus
29th Sep 2010, 13:06
Congratulations Peter, at last some common sense seems to have prevailed.

Ex Cargo Clown
29th Sep 2010, 13:33
Well done Peter, and as the saying goes,

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men."

And thankfully you have found some of the wise men in BA management, you deserve it.

ChiefDM
29th Sep 2010, 13:43
I'm not a pilot (yet, although I have asperations :p) and have no flying experience at all (apart from being a passenger). But from what I have read and seen about this incident, the pilot and crew not only saved the lives of everyone on board, but possibly countless people on the ground that were in the way at the time just outside the fence.

In my humble opinion they all deserve medals the size of diner plates and at the very least the right to continue doing what they do best.

Great news on this outcome, my very best to Peter and his family. :D

411A
29th Sep 2010, 14:09
Awaiting the arrival of 411A

You called?:E

The concerned Captain demonstrated, at a quite critical time, an unusual ability to 'think outside the box' (by selecting a lower flap setting), something many pilots are unable to do, so...his re-hiring is, in my opinion, a good thing.
I would futher suggest that he be assigned to the (now First Officer) who was in command of the airplane in the Caribbean, where it was apparently considered a waste of time to actually use the entire length of the runway for takeoff.
Perhaps in this way the BA operation can actually be improved.:ooh:

Tom the Tenor
29th Sep 2010, 14:15
A measured reply from 411A!

Well done, Captain, really pleased with the welcome turn of events and that you are back flying again. Looking forward to seeing you above Cork in the summer mornings again.

d71146
29th Sep 2010, 15:01
I concur with the above post and wish Pete all the best for the future with B.A.

Nubboy
29th Sep 2010, 15:30
Common sense and natural justice. I'm delighted for him:ok::ok:

JEM60
29th Sep 2010, 15:32
I'm sure that I can speak for 99.9% of SLF. We'll fly with you ANY TIME Capt Burkhill!!!. Best wishes for the future.

Fargoo
29th Sep 2010, 15:52
Fantastic news :ok:

Deep and fast
29th Sep 2010, 16:11
All the best, I'm going to buy the book to show support. We all need a little help at times.

D and F :8

Jal
29th Sep 2010, 16:32
Good Luck Peter, and it's about bloody time BA did the right thing.

doubledolphins
29th Sep 2010, 17:01
Peter is a top bloke. I am proud to call him a friend. We only met after his last flight for BA and I am delighted that every one has seen sense and he is going back. Now lets all draw a line under it. All rules have exceptions, and he is exceptional.

If he was American he would be celebrated as a Hero. Lets leave it as that.

Iver
29th Sep 2010, 17:26
This is fantastic news - for both Peter and for BA. It is surprising that he was not taken by other airlines (like EK, QR or EY) but it is their loss.

BA did the right thing.

Neptunus Rex
29th Sep 2010, 17:28
This is an exceptional case, and the outcome is quite right and just. It took just 21 minutes for post #2 in the thread to raise the question of the seniority list. Those whingers banging on about seniority come across as being extremely selfish individuals, perhaps better suited to being clock-watching bank clerks than thinking, professional pilots.

Captain Burkhill has won his spurs. You 'List Watchers' should just hope that you never have to prove yourselves in such a testing manner!

Arfur Dent
29th Sep 2010, 17:38
What brilliant news! No question that it's the right thing to do. Well done to the BALPA reps and all concerned. I just ordered the book too. Shame on the whisperers.:ok:

Aileron Drag
29th Sep 2010, 17:41
Good on you, Pete. Flew with you on the dear old DC10. You're a good bloke, and I'm so pleased you're back where you belong.

p1fel
29th Sep 2010, 18:14
Fantastic news, onwards and upwards. I join with everyone to wish you an enjoyable continuation of your well earned career as an experienced top class Captain.

411A
29th Sep 2010, 18:15
Quote:
Those whingers banging on about seniority come across as being extremely selfish individuals...

Quite possibly.
However, BA could blunt this objection by simply carrying an extra Captain on the seniority list...so as to not disadvantage those senior First Officers who are in line for the next Command course.
A win-win scenario, for all.....and is exactly what I would do if I were in
charge at BA flt ops.
Because....line pilots can actually learn from the experience of those few Commanders who are gifted with the ability to 'think outside the box'...a very rare commodity, in my opinion.

Now, it may appear that I constantly bash British Airways, as...after all they are sometimes such an easy target.
However, as I have mentioned before, I have flown with several BA First Officers at other airlines (secconded) and I can say with certainty that these folks are (possibly) second only to QANTAS (First Officers...which I also have operated with, secconded) in their thinking ability as, after all, when it all goes pear shaped, the last item one might desire, in a very critical point in time, is a pilot who might say...'oh gosh, I wonder what the QRH has to say?'

NB.
As a twenty six thousand hour airline pilot (and, TRE/IRE), it is my opinion that the ultimate ability for a pilot is to adapt an abnormal situation to, at that point, to his (her) best advantage, for a successful outcome.
The referenced Captain did so, and he should be congratulated...not forgotten, and discarded.
Ever.

lexxie747
29th Sep 2010, 18:20
he has never met warren......
seconded.

Spunky Monkey
29th Sep 2010, 18:22
Peter
I listened to your interview on Radio 4 several months ago.

I must admit, that it made me feel quite emotional, the disgusting way that you were treated by some individual post match critics.

It would appear that you have a lot of support from the rest of the down to earth line pilots. I hope that your detractors eventually eat a little humble pie.

I wish you the very best of luck in the future. Please do another interview on Radio 4, this time in a positive light, so that we can all applaud you again.

SM

oopspff7
29th Sep 2010, 18:30
This is the best news I've heard in a very long time.Good luck for the future.:ok:

PanzerJohn
29th Sep 2010, 18:30
BA has shown common sense and decency, I never thought I would say that!.

aterpster
29th Sep 2010, 18:38
411A:

However, BA could blunt this objection by simply carrying an extra Captain on the seniority list...so as to not disadvantage those senior First Officers who are in line for the next Command course.

In my 27 years at TWA I saw perhaps 15 or 20 termination cases. Once the initial grievance was heard and denied they were all removed from the seniority list.

Perhaps 80% of them (certainly a serious majority) eventually had their job restored after arbitration. When restored they went back to the seniority they held at termination. That has been the standard industry/government practice in the U.S. under the Railway Labor Act.

Aquatone1
29th Sep 2010, 18:39
I think that BALPA, Captain Burkill and the individual who made the decision to reinstate, have just put "British" back into BA!:ok:

As a humble member of the SLF fraternity it will be an honour to be a passenger on your flight Captain.

Thank you BA. :ok:

CONF iture
29th Sep 2010, 18:40
Peter,
I am very glad to hear that.
In the mean time, I feel a bit sad you will have to close your website and blog. I hope they will stay visible at least, they are part of your life and may well have something to do with this happy ending ...
Bon vol !
CF

411A
29th Sep 2010, 18:45
In my 27 years at TWA I saw perhaps 15 or 20 termination cases.
Ahhhh well, to my recollection, the concerned Captain was not terminated.
Therefore...your scenario does not compute.
Sorry.:rolleyes:

rowan11
29th Sep 2010, 18:52
As another member of the humble SLF, I am thrilled for you and your family, and well done BA. Hope I will be fortunate enough to be on one of your flights.

Thank you for your indulgence in allowing this post - great book, read it twice, using it in my workplace.

flash8
29th Sep 2010, 18:57
Impressive, Big Airways and Commonsense.. in the same sentence!

And, a compliment from 411A.

High praise indeed.

Dunbar
29th Sep 2010, 19:34
"after all, when it all goes pear shaped, the last item one might desire, in a very critical point in time, is a pilot who might say...'oh gosh, I wonder what the QRH has to say?"

411A,

You'll be pleased to hear that at BA we train Aviate, Navigate, Communicate as the initial response to any threat...only when it's safe to do so do we train reference to ECAM/EICAS/QRH.

So, at that critical point in time, I would hope none of our pilots are thinking of the QRH. That has it's time though.

Pete reacted in the way he had been trained, glad he's back aboard.

ChristiaanJ
29th Sep 2010, 19:43
I've always hated the "hero" bit, and the "heroic struggling with the controls" nonsense in the tabloids.
So did he, it seems, and it must affected him greatly.
He is a professional, and did a professional's job outstandingly.
To me, that doesn't make him a "hero", but somebody far more worthy of respect.

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too:..."

"If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And---which is more---you'll be a Man, my son!"
(Kipling)

That could have been written for him.

CJ

Psr777
29th Sep 2010, 20:09
Very pleased Peter is going to be back flying.

Was cabin crew and flew with him when he was flying Cally planes; he was a thoroughly decent bloke.
:D:D:D

nicolai
29th Sep 2010, 20:15
There is also the fact that he walked away with a significant amount of redundancy, which again the company aren't just going to write off.

It would be up to BA whether or not they wanted to leave him with the redundancy payment, but one has to be very careful in such cases about whether the taxman thinks the redundancy was genuine - if the taxman thinks it was not, he is going to want his cut of any payments (Employer NI, employee NI, income tax, etc). Employers are free to give employees whatever remuneration they wish, as long as the taxman gets what he thinks is his share. My personal feeling is that airline Captains with proven experience and success under pressure do not grow on trees and BA may well want to regain his services despite the additional cost. I wish Captain Burkill the best in his job and trust he is receiving good advice on the tax point from professionals.

Stu666
29th Sep 2010, 21:07
Only the other day I was reading about the 777 incident on Wikipedia (I know, I know) and it saddened me to learn of the outcome for the Captain involved.

What a refreshingly happy ending for a change. It has certainly restored my faith in human nature a little.

Good on Captain Burkhill and long may he fly for BA!

captplaystation
29th Sep 2010, 21:23
Jeez Pete, even the French (plural too ! there were a couple there) are supporting you (with some very well chosen prose, Merci to ChristiaanJ ) Bravo also to BA for seeing sense, nothing to do with looking "pilot-friendly" for the impending recruitment campaign of course. . . cynical ? moi? Ah! only a tad.

Finally got off me ass & ordered your book too :rolleyes: To quote an ex instructor mate of mine's Dad, who was a Tristar skipper with your esteemed employer a while back (Peter Black) . . . . . PFM ! ! ! !
Sums it up nicely methinks.
Happy Landings! welcome back to the sky, with all us other wobegones, where you belong & no doubt want to be.

Reverserbucket
29th Sep 2010, 21:41
Excellent news - restores your faith in human kindness.

411A - are you feeling alright? :}

WindSheer
29th Sep 2010, 22:16
Great news!! Loved your book Pete!
:ok:

Flash0710
29th Sep 2010, 22:25
This is absolutely fantastic..... There are so many reasons this MAN should be back.

Big Hugs....

Xxxx

aterpster
29th Sep 2010, 22:53
411A:
Ahhhh well, to my recollection, the concerned Captain was not terminated.
Therefore...your scenario does not compute.

I was making an analogy, not creating a scenario.

The analogy: slots are given back to terminated pilots reinstated by an adiminstrative law judge. It is a reasonable inference that a lawsuit brought by a pilot made to resign under duress would find the court giving the same award.

Landroger
29th Sep 2010, 23:01
This is certainly very good news - there is too little of it around at the moment. :D I must say I hope to find myself as SLF on a BA 777 with Captain Birkhill in the pointy end very soon. :)

ROger.

Desk-pilot
29th Sep 2010, 23:07
This is superb news and I'm thrilled for Capt Burkhill, planning to buy his book ad hoping that he continues to support his book sales via the website. I'm delighted to see BA reacting so positively and righting past wrongs.

Personally I hope to fly with him one day, it would be a privilege for he exemplifies everything I aspire for.

Desk-pilot

glad rag
29th Sep 2010, 23:20
Brilliant period.:ok::ok::ok::ok:

Norman Stanley Fletcher
29th Sep 2010, 23:33
I am not a BA pilot and work for 'the opposition'. Nonetheless, I have been saddened that Captain Burkhill was not disuaded from leaving BA at a time of immense personal stress. It is clear to everyone that he and his crew were faced with a situation few will ever have to deal with - they did the right thing at the right time and saved not just many lives, but the standing of their company. I wish Captain Burkhill nothing but a wonderful return to flying and a well-deserved return to British Airways. They have gained a great pilot and he has been returned to the company he should never have been allowed to leave in the first place. I am delighted for him personally and am also delighted to see that common sense has prevailed in the potentially contentious issue of seniority. What is also very gratifying to see is the almost universal graciousness of his fellow pilots towards him - it is very heartening to see them hold a hand out to one of their own who has done so much to benefit their profession in the eyes of the travelling public. I am delighthed Captain Burkhill is back where he should have been all along.

racedo
29th Sep 2010, 23:45
Good luck Captain Burkhill

stilton
30th Sep 2010, 00:19
Congratulations Captain Burkill.

I am very happy to hear of your reinstatement and, finally a happy ending to this story.

And, since it should be repeated, congratulations on your fine judgement that morning.

Your judgement and immediate actions in a potentially catastrophic situation were responsible for saving everyones lives on your Aircraft.

You truly proved yourself 'under fire'

I wish you many, many happy landings old chap.

John Boeman
30th Sep 2010, 00:19
Absolutely the best news for ages!
Like everybody else, I am delighted that common sense has prevailed. A rare thing these days.

Slickster
30th Sep 2010, 00:55
There has been mention of the seniority list. I think you will struggle to find any BA pilot resentful of moving down one place (we should never have moved up one in the first place), to accommodate Capt Burkill where he belongs. Please let me know if you find one.

Welcome back, fella.:D

broadreach
30th Sep 2010, 01:09
Norman Stanley Fletcher, think you've said it perfectly for many of us.

wongsuzie
30th Sep 2010, 01:30
I would send my kids up with him without hesitation.

Bally Heck
30th Sep 2010, 01:55
What a shame our national carrier have sullied their name by ahem "dissing" a pilot who did his job. I trust if Virgin ever carry that torch they will never carry that shame.

vickers vanguard
30th Sep 2010, 02:55
great news ! a good guy back on the job.

timperrott
30th Sep 2010, 04:08
The Best News That I Have Heard In Years, Well Done Pete !!!!!

Oleo
30th Sep 2010, 05:45
Wonderful wonderful news Capt Burkhill.
What a tragedy that this man and his family have endured the full gammit of grief by his constructive dismissal from BA. Shame on BA and shame on BALPA for not publicly and loudly standing up for this hero, instead allowing the whispering campaign to drive him out.

Anyway, all's well that end's well.

(Jazzy: Constructive dismissal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constructive_dismissal))

JazzyKex
30th Sep 2010, 06:24
Oleo

Constructive dismissal from BA????

I think you should go back and read a little more before discharging such garbage!

Now back to the subject...welcome back Pete...looking forward to flying with you very shortly. The most welcome drop in seniority I could imagine!

Jazzy

TheChitterneFlyer
30th Sep 2010, 07:50
Pete, congratulations upon your return to BA.

You've indeed come a long way since our first meeting on the flight deck of a TriStar many years ago. From my perspective (from the middle seat), I was very impressed with your handling skills and the way in which you 'instinctively' displayed all of the required attributes of that of a future airline captain. Many of those 'top notch' captains that we flew with in those early (seconded) Caledonian days have now retired; nonetheless, I feel sure that they too would join me in saying, "Well done Sir". It was my privilige to fly with you.

Having now, regrettably, retired from flying I'll look forward to hearing your voice from the PA system... hopefully from seat 1A!

Kindest regards

JB

Will Hung
30th Sep 2010, 08:06
And well done to SFO Coward too !

SR71
30th Sep 2010, 09:56
Brilliant news and all the best for the future.

4 engines or 2?

;)

Bruce Wayne
30th Sep 2010, 10:33
Peter,

Congratulations in being able to continue the career that you have trained and worked to achieve.

As others have mentioned, the capacity to think outside of the box in high pressure situations, allowing the recovery of a bad situation is indeed what the professional aspect of the profession is about.

Furthermore your actions in managing a bad situation have gone have resulted in updating procedures and training. Having your actions as the basis for updating abnormal procedures in high stress, critical event is perhaps the most flattering example of your professional skills that could be achieved.

Following your 'blog' it has proved disheartening and anger inducing that such skills and professionalism was not welcomed by alternative employers. It seriously makes me wonder as to the direction of the industry as whole in this country.

In a similar situation I wonder if 'Sullenberger' would have not experienced such animosity to employment with alternative carriers following his actions in managing a critical situation; Moreover, perhaps the capacity to capitalize on employing such a figure would have been exploited.

We really need to consider the future of professionalism in the industry here in the UK.

Once again, congratulations on recommencing your flight deck career and to all those who recognize and place value on professional capabilities in this industry.

Love_joy
30th Sep 2010, 10:57
I for one, am delighted that Peter is returning to BA.

The aftermath of this accident was an embarrassment to the industry, and a true example of what not to do.

If any good is to come from this, I hope the support processes from within airlines, the authorities and the union sharpen up.

Pete, best of luck mate! :ok:

Iain Wilson
30th Sep 2010, 11:09
Delighted to hear Captain Peter Burkhill`s great news. In my view, the only appropriate and decent outcome.
Very best wishes to Peter, his family and colleagues.
Iain

The Green Goblin
30th Sep 2010, 11:47
Congrats Captain Burkill,

It was devastating hearing what happened to you. I am glad commonsense (which is not so common) has finally prevailed.

See you up there!

GG

go around flaps15
30th Sep 2010, 13:19
Fantastic news. Great to see common sense prevailed. Great to see you joining us in the skys again.

Stierado
30th Sep 2010, 14:21
Congratulations to Captain Burkill !!!

Think this is great news and he deserves to come back.

Wish him all the best !!! :D:D:D

Tamazi
30th Sep 2010, 14:35
Good show. Well done Sir.

Mr Angry from Purley
30th Sep 2010, 15:59
Well done BA and a well done to Balpa if they assisted. Hope lessons can be learned and shame on those airlines that turned his services done in the meantime :\

TIMA9X
30th Sep 2010, 16:22
It makes my day to hear this wonderful news, to Peter and all involved at BA for making it happen. A positive outcome for a great pilot and his airline. I wish you well Captain Birkell.:D

Tima9x

RB311
30th Sep 2010, 16:22
Congratulations Peter, have followed your story from the beginning, read your book and delighted for you.

xsbank
30th Sep 2010, 16:30
Congratulations, and I don't even work for BA!

See Toto, sometimes there are happy endings!

Bellerophon
30th Sep 2010, 16:40
Peter,

Many congratulations - from one of the 78ers who left on the same day as you - on a well deserved return to BA, and all best wishes for your future career in BA.

I'm sure that the pilots in BA will welcome your return, and see this for what it is, a rare outbreak of common sense prevailing in an overly process driven airline.

And for their assistance in enabling this to happen, our thanks should go not only to the BALPA reps involved but also to the senior BA managers who authorised it.

Best Regards

Bellerophon

Nerik
30th Sep 2010, 16:45
Back where he belongs! Well done Pete. All the best for the future!

Rockhound
30th Sep 2010, 17:05
I should think so...although I hardly think BA deserves to have Pete back on the roster, after the way they treated him. It's lucky for them that he seems to sincerely want to rejoin them. To think that he might have ended up as a publican or an ambulance driver, ideas he toyed with...
All good fortune to Pete and his family!
Rockhound

finfly1
30th Sep 2010, 17:30
Wonderful news which gladdened the heart of an slf from across the pond!

ws737
30th Sep 2010, 17:34
Congratulations Peter..I've been following this from Canada and I was sickened when your story unfolded the way it did. Obviously none of this should have happened. It must feel great to return to flying status. I can only imagine what you have endured the past few years.

TopBunk
30th Sep 2010, 17:36
Peter

As with Bellerophon, as you know I am also a fellow 78er, and would like to congratulate you and your famlly on the outcome.

Also to recognise the very senior management in BA together with B & M from BALPA who have played a major part in achieving what many probably considered the immpossible.

Go back to BA and enjoy the rest of your career safe in the knowledge that you have the support of every right thinking person.

ehwatezedoing
30th Sep 2010, 17:49
Pete,

I do not know you, I don't work for BA but I truly hated the outcome of your personal story.....
Until I read this fantastic news of you coming back 'on line'

This is just great for yourself and your family!

Now about British Airways F/A's Union..... I would hope it at list smacked some in the back of their head :rolleyes:

411A
30th Sep 2010, 18:35
Now about British Airways F/A's Union..... I would hope it at list smacked some in the back of their head

I expect it made little impact...as they have their own distorted agenda.
IF I was WW, I would have fired the lot, and hired anew.
Poste haste.

G-BHZO
30th Sep 2010, 18:53
Congratulations from a mere PPL who bought the book a couple of months ago.

Great news for all concerned.

Kiltrash
30th Sep 2010, 19:06
Memo to Queen

MBE for the Captain??

Now the faceless ones have agreed that you and your team did no wrong and saved everyone

Hope be a pax on your plane

Best wishes:D

james brown
30th Sep 2010, 19:19
Best wishes :D

British Grenadier
30th Sep 2010, 19:29
Welcome back Skipper , Bravo :D:D:D

DB64
30th Sep 2010, 20:01
The bureaucrats finally got it......great news in a world of too many pen pushers where rules have taken over sense and intelligence.

DozyWannabe
30th Sep 2010, 21:47
Congratulations Sir, and I hope returning to the position that gave you so much pride and happiness turns out to be all you hope it can be.

Personally, I think that the book that you and your wife wrote should become required course reading for HR and management training across the board, being a cautionary tale for how prolonged success can be just as corrosive as failure when it comes to organisational complacency.

sierratangomike
1st Oct 2010, 09:42
This SLF is delighted. Hope to be on one of your flights soon :ok:

korrol
1st Oct 2010, 10:32
I've supported Captain Burkill ever since I read his account of the accident. His long experience on the 777 gave him , like many other high-time pilots, a seat-of-the pants awareness of "draggy feel" of the aircraft.
I hope this has taught the "whisperers" a lesson. PB was - in effect - bullied out of his job, not by the company, but by the malicious rumour mill within BA. The stress of being on the receiving end of all that must have been terrible and, it goes without saying, totally undeserved.

toro
1st Oct 2010, 11:10
Korrol,

you make a very good point. No one in Flight ops have I heard in anyway criticise Capt Burkill, and that included Management. The vindictive/malicious/pettiness that comes from a very specific section of BA employees is appaling and clearly got a lot worse in recent months. I sincerely hope it will improve soon.

I haven't as yet met any of the guys involved in BA38 but be assured from their fellow pilot colleagues they will not be buying their own beers downroute.

togsdragracing
1st Oct 2010, 11:16
Peter: This SLF says that BA should have begged you to stay, or they should have begged you to come back. I'm 46 years old and I thought I was too old and too cynical to have heroes...then along you came with your 777. Great news; here's to many more years of flying and hopefully having the privilege of sitting in a cabin behind you one day.

Sallyann1234
1st Oct 2010, 12:22
If there is one for Honours Capt Burkill should certainly be way above the usual footballers/fashion designers/soap stars.

Memo to Queen

MBE for the Captain

tanimbar
1st Oct 2010, 12:36
"Bloody marvellous".

Regards, Tanimbar

Flexable
1st Oct 2010, 13:11
To BALPA and BA management who made the decision to reinstate Captain Burkill: Congratulation , job well done. :D

Dave's brother
1st Oct 2010, 13:13
I've never seen so many Ppruners peacefully agreeing with each other! What a wonderful side-effect arising out of great news!:D

Trinity 09L
1st Oct 2010, 20:51
If only we could hear a PA, this is your Captain "Welcome aboard Burkill Airways" :)

The BEM gong is appropriate

Sick Squid
1st Oct 2010, 22:17
There are three major players behind the scenes in this; from BALPA, the BACC Chairman and the lead Postings and Promotions rep (not naming them, but B and M come to mind as posted before,) and the third is Willie Walsh himself. The decision came from the very top, as I am hearing it. Well done BALPA and kudos to Willie Walsh for looking out for someone who is, after all, a fellow pilot.

It should be highlighted that this indeed came to pass through the offices of BALPA acting with the unanimous will of the British Airways membership, and the active, and proactive support of the CEO. Well done to all.

Pete, great to have you back where you belong. I'd put my family behind you any day. Respect, from the other copilot (Captain now on another fleet, but you know that) on a heavy trip we did many, many moons ago when we were both copilots on the triple :)

I've never been so happy to drop one place on the seniority list! Back to where I should be. :D

Welcome back, Pete! See you down the traps soon, I hope....

Squid

Pitch Up Authority
2nd Oct 2010, 17:50
A crucial question that has never been answered is the following.

Irrespective of the problems caused by the fuel and its associated systems is the fact that the B 777 may have been outside the enviromental envelope.

This envelope is part of the limitations and certification and needs to be respected a all times.

Landroger
2nd Oct 2010, 18:12
A crucial question that has never been answered is the following.

Irrespective of the problems caused by the fuel and its associated systems is the fact that the B 777 may have been outside the enviromental envelope.

This envelope is part of the limitations and certification and needs to be respected a all times.

That'll need a bit of clarification. :uhoh: I have wondered for some time when - and if - the definitive cause of BA038s loss of thrust response will be decided, because I don't think it has, yet. None of which, it seems to me, has anything to do with Captain Burkhill, who dealt with the consequences of the failure. :)

Roger.

Prober
2nd Oct 2010, 19:01
Many years ago I went to FRA one afternoon on a B757. En route I noted the OAT as -70 something which, on checking with the miniature Limitations chart, seemed to be one or two degrees outside the environmental envelope. I took advantage of the turnround to visit the wonderful (then) new multi million POUND met HQ. There I was informed, in no uncertain tones, that they had sent a sonde aloft from Paris at 0600 that morning and the temperature at that Flight Level IS -66, so your aeroplane is wrong!:ugh::ugh: I thanked him very much for his help and returned home, still showing -73/4 (whatever).

Coireall
2nd Oct 2010, 20:33
Peter,
I am delighted that my former employer has seen the light and welcomed you back into the fold. I was extremely moved by your story and very embarassed that your flight crew managers so demonstrably failed in their duity of care to you.
Enjoy the flying the Tripple again and hold your head high. You deserve it ...and big time.
Ceejay

777fly
2nd Oct 2010, 20:35
Peter,

Delighted to hear that you will soon be back where you belong. All best wishes to you and your family. See you at a holding point sometime soon.....

stilton
2nd Oct 2010, 21:06
'Environmental Envelope'

What are you talking about ?

The flight in question was never operated outside of any limits, although I still do not understand your statement.

The fuel temperature was a concern, but, once again this remained within limits.

Captain Burkill and his crew were and are entirely without blame and deserve a lot more credit for their tremendous, life saving performance.

KBPsen
2nd Oct 2010, 21:46
There are times when mankind fills you with you joy, and the there are time when mankind just make you want to despair. Why the f---- can't the uninformed mob just keep their mouths shut?

Machdiamond
2nd Oct 2010, 21:47
Pitch Up Authority, speculating in this particular thread is insensitive.

I am sure this was not your intent though, here is a better place (http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/340666-ba038-b777-thread.html) for discussing such things like challenging the conclusions of the report.

tailstrikecharles
2nd Oct 2010, 22:05
There are times when mankind fills you with you joy, and the there are time when mankind just make you want to despair. Why the f---- can't the uninformed mob just keep their mouths shut?
Then they wouldn't be the uninformed mob then eh?

carmel
2nd Oct 2010, 22:19
Many congratulations to Capt Burkill for regaining his old position at BA. No doubt it was a very distressful period for both him and his family which they can now hopefully put behind them and I wish them well. Also, well done to BA for doing the right thing in this instance.

I hope both parties have learnt some lessons from this episode. I know some here are blaming BA for not nipping the whispering campaign in the bud. They certainly can't be blamed for allowing Peter to take VR as that was his prerogative, even if ill advised - what counsel was given to him by BALPA?

Did BALPA make strong protestations at the time to BA regarding stemming these false rumours? If not, why not? I can't help but think this issue got caught up in both union and management politics, but could BALPA have pushed the issue harder?

With regards to the other airlines not recruiting Capt Burkill I agree that it was unfair, but understandable. The public's perception of an airlines safety is paramount and a risk/reward calculation was made. If another incident ever happened (however unlikely) there would be a lot of uncomfortable questions raised. Nobody wanted to stick their neck out, so this should serve as a warning for anybody stuck with a similar curse.

Neptunus Rex
2nd Oct 2010, 22:33
A great result, if somewhat overdue. The bent metal can be replaced, unlike the many precious souls that Captain Burkill and his crew saved that day.

Bravo Zulu!

13Alpha
2nd Oct 2010, 22:56
I am but a humble pax, but having followed the BA038 story from the beginning and read Capt Burkill's book I am delighted to hear this news.

13Alpha

His dudeness
3rd Oct 2010, 08:47
Congrats to Peter & his familiy. Your book was an eyeopener for me.

With regards to the other airlines not recruiting Capt Burkill I agree that it was unfair, but understandable. The public's perception of an airlines safety is paramount and a risk/reward calculation was made. If another incident ever happened (however unlikely) there would be a lot of uncomfortable questions raised.

Excuse me, but that is :mad:. He was either handling the situation right (which he did IMO) or heŽd been found guilty of operating the airplane outside envelopes, limits, whatever. He was not. So he is innocent and by doing the right thing at the right time he had saved the lifes of all on board and probably a few people on the ground. That was his job and he did exactly that. (and his crew)
Not hiring a pilot that on one side sticks to SOPs as long as possible and then in a split second decision doing the right thing 'outside the training envelope' is stupid.Such an example of airmanship isprobably the best pilot you can get.
IŽve asked myself many times if I could be as cool, calm and composed in the same situation he or Capt.Sullenberger was in.

Nobody wanted to stick their neck out, so this should serve as a warning for anybody stuck with a similar curse.

Thats exactly what is wrong with us today, most folks, especially in management levels, not having a backbone any more.

With one thing you are right, its a warning.

suninmyeyes
3rd Oct 2010, 12:51
Pitch up authority

It is totally incorrect to say the aircraft may have operated outside the operating envelope. You clearly do not have any understanding of Boeing 777 limitations and your comment infers that the crew may have done something wrong which is certainly not the case.

Unlike some other aircraft the 777 does not have a minimum operating outside air temperature limitation. The only limiting factor is the fuel must not get colder than 3 degrees above fuel freeze temperature of -47C, ie -44 C. In the case of the BA38 the fuel temperature never got below -35 degrees

Unlike the 747 wing the 777 wing is such that cold fuel temperature is rarely a problem even on winter flights over Siberia. So although 747s on the same routing that day had to descend to stay within air temperature and fuel temperature limitations the 777 did not need to. Additionally even at its higher flight level the fuel temperature of MMM would have been warmer than that of 747s which had had to descend to lower flight levels due temperature. The 777 RR engines have since been modified, the limitations on fuel temperature have not.

Welcome back to BA Pete. It's bad enough having idiots in the BA cabin crew training fraternity spreading untrue rumours about you let alone people like Pitch Up Authority casting aspersions on what is supposed to be a thread about welcoming you back.

speedbump59
3rd Oct 2010, 16:35
It is a rare thread that goes up to 7 pages in length in just 3 days. And even rarer when the subject of the thread is a positive item.

I landed on the parallel runway just shortly after BA038 made its splashdown and have followed this topic with considerable interest.

Making a successful splashdown and now having Capt Burkill back at BA makes it one of the relatively few crash stories with more than one happy ending.

Count von Altibar
3rd Oct 2010, 22:39
Proper order for BA to take him back, good news!

Human Factor
3rd Oct 2010, 23:43
Welcome back, Pete.

I'd like to hope this heralds the beginning of an outbreak of common sense from those above our paygrade.

idleopdes
5th Oct 2010, 18:12
Excellent news! Hope that the balance of your career is happy and safe... ;)
2 weeks to retirement for me... Cheers
Dave Main AC

upandoffmyside
8th Oct 2010, 18:17
Well done Pete, Balpa and BA - it was great to hear this good news ..

Good to see there is still some humanity and thoughfulness around.

Someone in management actually understanding what the job and the people who do it are about ?

stilton
9th Oct 2010, 00:43
Getting back to the main reason and purpose of this thread.

CONGRATULATIONS Captain Burkill on your return to work, there is not a more deserving Pilot.

PPRuNe Pop
9th Oct 2010, 10:57
Very true.

For those with a pocket full of stones you can find a pond, greenhouse or someone you dislike to throw them at - just stop lobbing them on this thread. Those who have been less than just plain nice have gone. As a matter of fact I cannot think of ONE reason why it should be impossible not to be nice.

PPRuNe is delighted to welcome PB back again - FOR ALL THE RIGHT REASONS.

KENNEDY TOWER
10th Oct 2010, 15:50
Well finally justice has prevailed, why BA adopted the attitude they did towards Capt Burkill beggars belief, to put he and his family through such an ordeal is cruel, I wonder how the people responsible for this would like to endure being treated this way. I say good luck to Capt Burkill and his family. What a ordeal!!!!.:ok:

SK8TRBOI
10th Oct 2010, 16:03
Welcome home (to the cockpit), Captain! :ok:

Aviophage
10th Oct 2010, 16:46
Peter, you should have joined us at Virgin!

Great news though.

doyll
10th Oct 2010, 17:54
Congratulations Peter:ok:

It's good to see experience and skill back where it belongs.

Airbus Unplugged
10th Oct 2010, 18:46
I know this didn't just happen, and I know that some people have done a lot of work behind the scenes to get to where we are. I include in that group WW himself, who I know has been invloved throughout.

BA is deeply disfunctional, and I am ashamed of the unrepentent behaviour of some within the company who sought to malign Peter and his colleagues as part of some sick internal political battle.

Sometimes, very occasionally, a ray of sunshine cuts through those clouds, and brings the propspect of hope that we will excise this canker.

This is one such day. To see this wrong righted is deeply heartening.

Peter, you are welcome back within our family where you belong. I am so sorry we ever let you leave.

yotter
15th Oct 2010, 11:02
Peter, I see from my log book that it's just 20 years and a few days since we were flying together on Tristars. I wish you the very best for your return to BA . Your story was discussed on many a golf course amongst us old stagers.
Good luck and well done BA management for seeing sense.
M.P.

Ancient Observer
15th Oct 2010, 13:36
Excellent news.
Probably better than the sand pit.

Keep counting the seconds.

AO