PDA

View Full Version : What to do next!!!!

JONATHAN PEARSON
16th Nov 2001, 11:55
Hi to all,
I have a CAA PPL with 140hrs TT.
And would like some advice on what to do next! ie IMC,Night or ????
I am considering the "commercial" world of aviation BUT not at the current market problems!!!plus the loss of SFT.
Is it worth the money to start the ATPL ground school as a distant learning package??

Thankyou in advance for any info :p
SB1089 :confused:

Genghis the Engineer
16th Nov 2001, 12:02
If you enjoy flying and aren't feeling an urgent desire to fly airliners, why not learn to fly something else. It'll be fun and will probably make you a better pilot as well. Gliders, microlights, balloons, helicopters, etc. all offer their own challenges at varying costs.

G

LowNSlow
16th Nov 2001, 12:24
Sb1089,

Do the IMC rating, it's useful and sharpens up your flying.

Also join the PFA and sample the delights of flying vintage taildraggers and other interesting types. It can be a lot cheaper than renting club aeroplanes plus it's lots of fun. A visit to the PFA Rally will show you what you can get outside the world of Messers Piper and Cessna. Have a look at their website on PFA.org.uk (I think).

Alternatively, as I'm sure Genghis will agree, the current generation of "microlights" make a C152 look pretty dated, thirsty and slow.

Whirlybird
16th Nov 2001, 13:01
Ah yes, I remember that feeling. September 1999, with a PPL(A) and around 140 hours TT, I was wondering what to do next, and went for a trial helicopter lesson. I did it just for something different, and commented to all my friends that it was lucky it was so expensive that even an addictive personality like me would never even consider taking it up. Half an hour, and instant addiction! I decided to go back for a day, which wouldn't break the bank. Then I decided I'd just learn to hover, then just get my PPL(H) and fly helicopters very occasionally. The day of my GFT I realise that would never be enough and I had to do more. I passed my CPL(H) Skills Test last week, and am now realising my original plan of a little part time instructing won't be enough either, and I'm thinking about the North Sea...

So whatever you do next, have fun, but be careful out there. Flying should carry a health warning: This may change your life. :D

Southern Cross
16th Nov 2001, 13:47
Go fly a Yak. It'll change the way you think about flying. :D

Shaggy Sheep Driver
16th Nov 2001, 14:54
I'm right with SC here. Fly a Yak and you'll never be the same. Power like you only dreamed off, and handling that positively discorages anything approaching straight and level flight.

Once you've flown a Yak, everything else in GA is about as interesting as agricultural machinery. You'll realise that in evderything else you've flown, you've been short changed by the manufacturer.

And having just read the Yak 18T article in 'Pilot' - I want a go! Vertical rolls 4-up, aeros-contest winning capability, good touring capability, and STOL performance - and that glorious Venedeyev sound! OK it's a little thirsty, but heck you only live once!

Messers Piper and Cessna should be forced to fly yaks to see what aeroplanes SHOULD be like ;~))

SSD

foxmoth
16th Nov 2001, 15:05
Go and do an aeros course, flying a little more expensive, but you get more REAL handling experience in 30 mins aeros than you do in 5 hours cross country.

Southern Cross
16th Nov 2001, 15:45
SSD - I'd be the first the remove blinkers and admit the 18T does look exceptionally "industrial", and for those who do not like having to pull through their 4 seat tourer, it is probably not ideal. But the the only other alternative for aeros in a 4 seater (I find it hard to say that with a straight face I admit) might be a Bonanza - mutiple tax brackets away in price methinks.

For now I will selfishly stick to the 50... :cool:

A7E Driver
16th Nov 2001, 16:03
I've got a pocket full of ratings/licences and while Yaks and helos are fun, if I had to do it over again, I'd go for the instrument rating as soon as possible. It will really make you a much better pilot --- add discipline and precision to your flying. I understand it's almost impossible to get an IR in the UK now --- so do the next best thing and get your IMC. My two cents worth anyway.

UKPPL
16th Nov 2001, 21:14
Hi,

I agree with some of the others;

a) Go get a share in a Yak (there's good Yak-52 share for sale at popham right now, email me if you want more info)

b) get yourself a decent aeros instructor.

c) have loads of fun and learn how to really fly an aircraft!!

Forget the IMC/Night rating etc (I have them) but you can't really do aeros at night or in IMC :D

Heli-Ice
17th Nov 2001, 00:31
SB1089: I suggets you do the IMC, as LowNSlow said: "it's useful and sharpens up your flying" also its quite a challenge. I have an IR on airplanes and helicopters and I must say that its very useful, it opens up a whole new world of flying. When you're flying IFR you have to deal with a lot of things. Consider the fact that non IR rated pilots who were put in IMC in a flt sim, the average time until they lost control of the aircraft was around 30-40 seconds if my memory isn't playing with me. I also agree with the others who told you to go fly the Yak, one of my friend has one and he tells me that its a great fun to fly, improves your skills also. If you're thinking about saving your money....... I'd suggest you spend it on something else than flying :D

Cusco
17th Nov 2001, 04:48
Forget the Yak and the aeros: Go do an IMC and do it in the UK not in Florida.

Costs more but is more representative of the type of weather you'll find tomorrow and sunday and throughout the UK winter.

And keep it current: never could understand the many signatures on the various UK lists that end *IMC(lapsed)*

Go do it, do it, do it, do it.(with apologies to the Inland Revenue) ;)

Shaggy Sheep Driver
17th Nov 2001, 20:10
IMC? Insrument rating? Fun??

You lot must be accountants who love nothing more than procedures and dusty ledgers.

The hedonists among us will roll heaven and earth in our Yaks ;~)

SSD

A and C
17th Nov 2001, 22:06
both the IMC and aerobatics are worth doing as both will increase you skill , i would advise the IMC first as CFIT seems to be the biggest killer of PPL holders.

As for the aerobatics i would start with a low powered aircraft such as a chipmunk as it is takes more skill to fly good basic aerobatics in a chipmunk than an extra.

As for the yak i,v not flown one but i,m sure its great fun but remember as with all high powerd aerobatic aircraft your lookout is imperitive as other pilots are not expecting some of the manovers that will become your stock in trade and so there lookout may not be as sharp as you my wish also it gives you a responsibility to avoid these manovers in areas of high trafic density.

What ever you decide to do have fun and be safe !.

englishal
18th Nov 2001, 05:07
Don't bother with the IMC rating, go and get yourself an FAA IR, this will give the IMC for free. Plus the extra time on instruments will make you a far safer pilot....And its not much more than IMC rating.

Do it in California, and don't be fooled when people tell you that the weather is always too good. Have flown in all conditions over here.

If nothing else, once you have the FAA IR if you come to do the JAR IR you should be able to complete in minimum time (saving money in the long run), or you may decide to get the FAA CPL and CFI, build your hours, get the FAA ATPL and then convert. There's loads of options, and this way will certainly cost less than the 55,000GBP that OAT charge (and you only have a few hundred hours when you leave!)

LAN
18th Nov 2001, 05:10
Gentlemen, gentlemen...

Yes the Yak is splendid...
...but they put the tailwheel at the wrong end!!! :D

My first flight after my PPL skill test was transition on a Bellanca - so my recommendation would be : learn flying tailwheel aircraft! It sharpens up your flying tremendously. You might even combine it with glider flying and get some towing time as well - lots of fun!

Hang in there - the tide will turn again :cool:

:p Ivan :p

Julian
18th Nov 2001, 05:10
I would recommedn doing sort of aero stuff for the spin awareness training.

If you have the time, forget the IMC and go over to the US and do the FAA IR rating - you wilo come away with 40 hours, and FAA IR rtaing and a JAA IMC to add to your UK licence - so effectively you get two licences for the price of one!

Heard it said by a few instructors - the IMC gives you just enough info to get into trouble....

Julian.

QNH 1013
18th Nov 2001, 17:46
"heard a few instructors say the IMC rating gives you just enough information to get into trouble" Maybe they have said this but that does not mean that they are correct.
I would worry about any instructor who left a student in a more dangerous state after training than he/she was in before. Part of the training should enable you to understand your limitations and how these vary with currency.
Practice and currency is everything with instrument flight and the limits of what you can do with an IMC rating are (with one exception) quite clearly written by the CAA.
It is certainly not a "get you into trouble" rating.
In my opinion all training should improve your skills and make you a safer pilot. If it doesn't there is something wrong either with you or with your instructor.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
18th Nov 2001, 18:52
'Tis true the '52 has the little wheel at the wrong end (that's why I fly a Chippy as well!), but its character is military taildragger none the less.

SSD

Final 3 Greens
18th Nov 2001, 23:40
Do a night rating first: it will make you realise how much you need to fly on instruments.

Then either do an IMC or a FAA IR and build your confidence.

When you have doine that, then by all means do the areos if you wish - but you will be a more capable pilot.

Whatever you do, ENJOY IT!

:)

LAN
19th Nov 2001, 02:04
Shaggy - a brother in choice of aircraft! ;)

I fly the DHC-1 as well - only 6 of them left in airworthy condition in DK :( - but what fun they are! And yes - it IS very "non-civilised" and not something to tamper with unless you have some prior tailwheel experience - only the british could have made an engine turning in that direction :p :D

Where is your Chip based? I am a frequent visitor of UK airspace and will trade beer for some good stories! :D

SB1089, my advise would still be going with the tailwheel / aero stuff. This has something to do with basic A/C handling and is something you will actively want to keep current (whereas IFR is - alas - only a way of transportation and grows rusty fast if its not constantly honed). The basic handling stuff is something you practice on every flight! And besides - if you go commercial at some time - you will never again have the time to do it! Learn it now!

Keep safe!

Rgds,
:p Ivan :p

[ 18 November 2001: Message edited by: Ivan the Horrible ]

englishal
19th Nov 2001, 08:44
"heard a few instructors say the IMC rating gives you just enough information to get into trouble. Maybe they have said this but that does not mean that they are correct. "

Then this makes the IMC a red herring, ie. You can do it in 15 hrs, but you won't be safe, so you need the extra hours to make you safe, and low and behold you're over 20 hrs. I wouldn't want only 20 hrs of training and to enter turbulent, IMC conditions and then have to shoot the ILS, popping out of the clouds 100' above DH in rain.....( do IMC instructors teach stalls under the hood?)

I haven't checked what an IMC rating allows with rgds to DH's etc, but someone who thinks they're capable of flying in IMC should be able to do all of the above !

oops, sorry to get carried away....now back to the topic....Yep spin awareness would be good....

Shaggy Sheep Driver
19th Nov 2001, 15:19
Ivan - the Chippy's at Manchester Barton (G-BCSL). Been flying it over 20 years now and it's still a challenge to grease it on ;~))

The '52, however is IMHO the easiest aeroplane bar none to land. (As long as you remember to lower the gear! - unlike one of our group members last year).

SSD
null :eek:

[ 19 November 2001: Message edited by: Shaggy Sheep Driver ]

LAN
21st Nov 2001, 00:14
Shaggy - you've got to think positive! It keeps the landing distance next to nothing :D Hope you have it in the air again by now.

Manchester is not too far off our regular places - may I drop you a mail if I get to anywhere near?

Best rgds,

:D Ivan :D

Shaggy Sheep Driver
21st Nov 2001, 15:59
Ivan

Please do. But be aware that Barton gets flooded about now 'till March ;~((

SSD

LAN
24th Nov 2001, 00:37
What???

:eek: A Chipmunk WITHOUT floats :eek:

Well, rest of UK WX goes along those lines as well, so not much point in going grass-floating until spring anyway :D

Stay :cool:
Ivan