PDA

View Full Version : Private Instruction

winguru
12th Sep 2010, 22:55
Hi everyone

I was thinking its possible to have private instruction for ppl, cpl, multi and instrument, in private aircraft, not registred for charter or air taxi operations.

This happens in FAA land and other icao countries, i was wondering if this works for JAA.

I ask this because some people might have acess to private plane where the pilot is a FI and could go along and get instruction.

Thank you

Whopity
13th Sep 2010, 07:39
IN JAA land shortly to become EASA land all license training must be conducted at an Approved Organisation. At the moment under JAA rules, PPL training only has to be Registered but after April 2012 it has to be Approved.

IO540
13th Sep 2010, 07:57
What areas is private instruction allowed in Europe?

In that Q I include non-JAA qualifications such as the IMCR, which I thought can still be taught by a freelance instructor.

If the OP is more interested in having lessons in his plane, rather than a school plane, surely that is possible. I know of people who did the JAA IR in their own plane; even an N-reg one in one case, in the UK.

BackPacker
13th Sep 2010, 08:45
Another issue is that for some types of training the plane has to be maintained to certain standards. And the owner might not be maintaining the plane to that specific standard, but to a lower standard that's adequate for his needs.

From memory (but correct me if I'm wrong), ab-initio training requires the plane to be maintained to Public Transport standards.

Furthermore, you may want to check whether the plane is insured for ab-initio training. Possibly the instructor plus the student (for solo flying) have to be named in the insurance documents as covered PICs, and there might be increased premiums and/or an increased excess for this type of training.

Whopity
13th Sep 2010, 13:27
No problem doing a PPL in your own aircraft however it would have to be included in the Schools Registration. That is not a problem so long as it meets the maintenance requirements for public transport because you will be paying the school for the training.

The IMC rating and the NPPL are about the only things left in the UK that you can do outside a Registered Facility directly with an instructor.

The poster is in Portugal so the rules may well be different there.

winguru
13th Sep 2010, 14:40
So i guess a IFR together with MEP rating would be possible without needing an approved school or instruction program.

And also the maintenance standarts that was needed for ppl wouldnt be required also.

Correct me if im wrong