PDA

View Full Version : Ansett and the Fokker Friendship

Pages : 1 2 [3]

megan
6th May 2023, 02:01
I’m not sure what you mean by fixed card, but the really primitive ones that I was once familiar withWhat you describe Mach is what is known as a "fixed card".

ricketyback
8th May 2023, 03:44
....."and just how many times did you hear a Merlin in your working day?.

Went to airshows in the early 1960's. Jack McDonald (?) in his Mustang was a sound and sight to behold!

F27 - to taxi one competently could be difficult. The 'suck-blow' pneumatic NWS was designed by some sadistic engineer on one of his bad days!
It was unserviceable one day on a 4 leg flight I had out of Sydney. Checked the MEL (minimum equipment list) and it was OK to depart if the forecast terminal wind at destinations was light and variable. Had a fun day (not) using primarily brakes with a little help from assymetric juggling of the throttles.

prickly
10th May 2023, 01:28
A story I was told once by a then ex-AN pilot about a certain AN captain who during his initial FO line training on the F27 cranked up the aircraft and taxied to a new position on the tarmac as requested by ground staff. This supposedly happened at a large regional airport whilst the training captain was in the airport FSU offices having a cuppa. Can anyone confirm or refute this. The guy went on to be known as FIGJAM I am told

Dora-9
10th May 2023, 06:26
Prickly - sadly, it's true. Initials RT, aka "Storm Boy". See post #319.

cooperplace
10th May 2023, 11:07
Drop down oxy at F310 not required if no pax, say a ferry flt. :}

My first flight was in a TAA F27, Essendon to Canberra, aged 14. I already knew I wanted to fly but that flight was just mesmerizing.

Me too, in Adelaide. I was about 12, this was about 1967. A 30 minute flight.

Saintly
24th Aug 2023, 03:43
Why didn't Fokker use a different nose and front windows on the f50 - heard that it is the only thing stopping it being a 250 kt + machine...

Thoughts?

It got up to 270 kts TAS

Xeptu
29th Aug 2023, 02:37
I heard this one among the engineers back in the early 90's. The F50 was originally intended to be certified for 250 kts indicated, but failed the windscreen bird strike test. Apparently you only get one go at it. So that dropped it down to the next level of certification. 224 kts indicated