PDA

View Full Version : KOS evac

maybepilot
5th Sep 2010, 14:11
Found video of the evac that happened yesterday in the greek island of Kos:

Kbgp9OEUr8o

People getting off with suitcases, one slide shot into ground steps, rear service door and overwings never opened , flaps never lowered as per non normal procedure.........
Amateurs.

spider_man
5th Sep 2010, 15:43
FIVE minutes to evacuate a 737 down the slides...!! Must be a record.

Brenoch
5th Sep 2010, 16:28
Anyone in the know as to why they evacuated? The fire brigade seems interested in the left main wheel but from the video, not much can be seen.

stagger
5th Sep 2010, 16:43
Two reports here...

Incident: AirExplore B734 at Kos on Sep 4th 2010, engine fire at the apron (http://avherald.com/h?article=43080a4f&opt=0)

Jet lands in Greece with engine on fire (http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world/jet-lands-in-greece-with-engine-on-fire-20100904-14vgn.html)

The first suggests an engine fire developed during taxi / at the stand. The second report suggest the fire occurred in the air.

Hotel Mode
5th Sep 2010, 20:09
Thats surely a joke!

How do these outfits get AOCs?

kazzie
5th Sep 2010, 22:25
Shocking Footage.

What shocks me, Is that if in fact engine No.1 was on fire during landing, taxi then how on earh is there time to 1, Have stairs pre-positioned at L2, 2, Open the rear hold door, 3, 4, Have the A/C coned at the Starboard side? Have Dollys at the A/C ready?

Also, If a prompt evacuation is needed then why dose it take 45 seconds into the video to activate the slide at L2?

Also it is stated, that R2 is not used due to the Dollys in the way? Sorry, But If the ramp agents come to remove the stairs at L2 (with no matter of urgency it seems) then why can they not remove the dollys at R2? R Over wing exits? on the R side?

It just seems to me there is no organization or any professionalism within this evacuation. I can certainly see a few People getting called in for tea and biscuits over this!

TBSC
6th Sep 2010, 02:26
Fire truck driving through the line of running pax is another interesting phenomenon.

Carbon Bootprint
6th Sep 2010, 15:24
Fire truck driving through the line of running pax is another interesting phenomenon. Perhaps not that unusual. I've seen seen similar with the London Fire Brigade responding to a hotel alarm and the Grampian Fire Brigade whilst responding to an alarm at the Aberdeen Convention Center.

ATC Watcher
6th Sep 2010, 17:51
I can certainly see a few People getting called in for tea and biscuits over this!

In Greece ? in Kos ? Don't think so. They probably think it is the airline's problem.

One thing that is interesting in almost all recent evacs is that the pax disregard the announcements an most will take their belongings with them.
I have seen a video taken from a mobile phone of a pax ( yes they also now stop to take films while evacuating) out of AF/Toronto and it looked more like a looting party running out of a supermarket than an emergency evac.(but at least they did it in 90 sec )

hetfield
6th Sep 2010, 18:11
Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

HighLow
6th Sep 2010, 18:14
This has to be the WORST Pax Evacuation of all time, how NOT to do it, where do we start......Terrible!

No Doubt, Boeing will be scratching their heads, looking up their manuals, and reminding themselves what the requirement is for ALL pax to be off the plane in HOW MANY SECONDS?

Hey How about 4 MINUTES :(

this video is terrible

ZeBedie
6th Sep 2010, 19:41
Pax getting to the door, stopping, sitting on the sill, then sliding down - a properly trained cabin crew have a way of preventing that kind of dithering - a good shove in the small of the back.

TBSC
6th Sep 2010, 20:14
Quote:
Fire truck driving through the line of running pax is another interesting phenomenon.

Perhaps not that unusual. I've seen seen similar with the London Fire Brigade responding to a hotel alarm and the Grampian Fire Brigade whilst responding to an alarm at the Aberdeen Convention Center.

They are definitely much more limited on the street but these guys had a lot of space on the apron. Seems strange to approach the right side of the nose through pasengers while their buddies were already lined up on the other side to take care of #1. Not that I have any clue about firefighting :) only it looks a bit odd to me.

Magplug
6th Sep 2010, 21:01
When the video opens we see the aft cargo door already open with baggage carts in place, cones had already been placed forward of the wings and rear steps positioned close to the a/c. This indicates that the beacon had been switched off (safe to approach a/c) for at least a couple of minutes when the crew became aware of a fire.

Nothing ever happens like it does in the sim. Cabin crew are trained only to use exits and deploy slides where it is visually clear of obstructions outside and free of hazard such as fire. It appears as if the deployment areas of both rear slides at doors 2L+R were blocked by ground equipment so were not used by the crew.

With all the pax standing up in the cabin ready to get off I am not surprised everyone ignored the overwing exits.... the pax would have been in the mindset of going forward or aft to make a normal exit, and no crew would be by the overwings on the ground. The doors would have already been put to manual so all escape slides would be in the wrong config.

This seems to be and after-shutdown fire at the most awkward of moments with everything and everybody in the wrong place.

Perhaps you should devote some thought to how you would best managed it?

BOAC
7th Sep 2010, 07:44
As Magplug says - a challenging exercise and I am not sure how I would react to that scenario. It would appear that pax steps are sort of 'in place' front and rear but presumably the decision was taken not to use them due to the 'fire' or the brave ground staff had scarpered when they saw smoke etc before they were moved up close?

Back to the 'Jet Airways' thread. How many of you would remember to lower the flaps (electric hydraulics still on, or on standby switch?) and get the pax to move away from the front door? There would, in that scenario, be one usable slide and two overwings on the starboard side. Passengers would already probably have their hand-baggage out of the lockers and in their hands.

Perhaps maybepilot and others would like to tell us how they would have reacted in the time available - as 'professionals'?

Boomerang_Butt
7th Sep 2010, 08:05
Correct, at my company we are trained not to operate a door if ground equipment is in the way. On the 737 it is quite difficult to get a full view via the viewing port on the door so the crew obviously believed that some of the slides were unusable.

As mentioned an evac on boarding/disembarking is the worst possible moment, as the doors are not ready, there is cr@p everywhere in the aisle and the pac are all over the place.

My guess is not only did the crew have to re-arm the doors, they would also have had to have made themselves seen/heard over the crowd and then do their best to keep bags from coming off too. Sometimes it's easier to just let the bag go than to stand in the door arguing about it while people fry. (Though personally I'd be lobbing it out to an empty space on the ground rather than letting them slide with it, but on the day- how do I know what I'll do?

Bear in mind also if the pilots/ground crew knew something the FAs didn't- quite possible they were instructed to only use certain exits- something you cannot know from a video.

One last point: Do we KNOW that this is an "evacuation" as opposed to a 'precautionary disembarkation' using slides? Would appear that way to me in the speed of the passengers... urgent enough to warrant the slides but not so to open overwing exits and have people braking bones etc...

Hotel Tango
7th Sep 2010, 08:16
Finally, three sensible posts from people in the know and who realise what may have indeed really happened and the dilemma the crew faced.

BOAC
7th Sep 2010, 08:19
Yes, BB - I reckon that makes 3 of us who actually understand this problem. The rest of the popcorn-munchers above who have criticised the crew will probably snuggle down into their seats and hope no-one notices that they had - I doubt we will hear any serious suggestions from them.

I too assess this as a 'precautionary evac.' and actually give the crew a 'thumbs up' for a difficult scenario - and maybe 1 or 2 minutes to sort it out.

EDIT: Thanks HT - make that 4

Boomerang_Butt
7th Sep 2010, 08:32
Question for the 737 pilots- is APU power enough to run the hydraulics to lower the flaps anyway? That is, if they were about to disembark I'm guessing they've shut down so *if* lowering the flaps for an evac was necessary- can it be done on APU power alone?

BOAC- there seems a propensity for people to assume that crew from certain countries aren't up to par, sad really as I'm sure there's plenty of shoddy crew in Oz, UK, USA etc...

BOAC
7th Sep 2010, 09:48
APU will power the B elec hydraulic pump which will move flaps at a slightly slower then full rate - assuming the APU was serviceable, of course and (unlike Jet2) it was company policy to use it:).

Boomerang_Butt
7th Sep 2010, 09:53
Thanks, always wondered about that one!

A and C
7th Sep 2010, 11:22
I echo the opinion that the crew found them selfs with an evacuation at the very worst moment in terms of slide deployment and passenger expectation, most of the pax would most likely have already got the baggage out of the lockers and been in an "out the front door" mind set.

As to the overwing exits, I think it would be very hard for the average passenger to take it on them selfs to open one of these, the public attitude to emergency equipment is very strange. Have you ever been in a public building when a fire has broken out? I have and most people tried to ignore it despite the fire alarms and smoke, as to using the fire fighting equipment..............even the staff of this hotel ran away from this! It was left to myself and the Flight Engineer to put the fire out. (and not even a free beer as thanks!)
I guess that we were the only two people on site who has receved any realistic fire trainning.

So going back to the evacuation it is hardly a surprize that passengers don't want to open the overwing exits as the only reason for them sitting next to them is the extra leg room.

As to the lack of action from the ground staff, this will come as no surprize to anyone who flys to the Greek Islands, most of the staff are on the islands over the summer for a sort of long paid holiday from the Athens area. They have not the first idea when it comes to airfield operatons.

Ten years ago when I started flying to the Greek Islands I was told by the chief pilot that I could expect very little help from the Greeks in event of an emergency, as far as I can see very little has changed in the last ten years apart from giving the staff the safety cure all Hi-Vis jacket.

Lonewolf_50
7th Sep 2010, 12:42
Sometimes it's easier to just let the bag go than to stand in the door arguing about it while people fry.

I tend to agree with you. If a parent can carry a baby, a businessman (or authoer) can carry his "baby," which is his small valise with his little brain (laptop) as well with as little, or less hazard, since he/she is a bit less concerned with dropping his valise than a mother/father is with dropping an infant during the evac ...

Of interest seeing the comments on the apparent miscommunication between ground crew and cabin&cockpit crew: what provisions do most airlines have to facilitate easy communication between those within and those without during ground operations?

How often is a situation rehearsed based on this scenario, I wonder, with both ground crew and cabin/cockpit crew involved in the training scenario?

I too assess this as a 'precautionary evac.'

Aye, but are crew (ground and aircraft) prepared mentally for when "precautionary" turns into "emergency" during a ground evac? The cockpit crews have the benefit of training where precautionary turns emergency in flight ... do ground crews and baggage handlers get similar training?

Boomerang_Butt
7th Sep 2010, 13:17
If I recall correctly, there was a case in Sydney (QfF744?)where an evacuation was required at the terminal... (brake fire I think) in a couple of cases the catering staff drove the trucks away to enable slides to be used... if anyone has the exact details or a link it'd be appreciated.

But, I am sure the ground crew are briefed on possible scenarios, indeed in a few cases it has been the ground crews who first became aware that there was a problem. (engine surge/fire) and a few catering crew have told me they keep a wary eye on the doors as they are approaching in case one opens suddenly...

During my training, we were told if a catering/cleaning truck was blocking our door and we HAD to use it (due to being unable to use other exits) we had to get their attention however we could and wave them off... usually, once a slide is deployed the others become aware of it pretty quickly and scarper fast!

I vaguely recall reading something (could have been the same case above) about a slide deploying onto terminal building structure/roof and pax escaping that way...

Boomerang_Butt
7th Sep 2010, 13:22
Just to add, in my company we are told (very emphatically) that a precautionary can become a "full evacuation" at ANY TIME including immediately after a precautionary PA has been made...

In that case for us our commands change to express the new urgency/speed required... for example, from walking down the stairs to running down the stairs/sitting & sliding to jumping & sliding

In a precautionary using stairs, the crew are the ones in control of the stairs (if used) and ground crew are trained not to approach with them until we wave them over, in this case if an evac was required the fastest method would of course be to get the stairs over asap as opposed to closing a door to re-arm it... once that command is given to evacuate you use what you have- stairs if there, if your door is still closed, re-arm and go go go...

(Note, one SOP only, it might be different at other airlines)

flugholm
7th Sep 2010, 14:26
You can critizise or defend the flight crew as much as you want --- what worries me is the people in the high viz jackets on the apron. I don't expect them to be some kind of Bruce Willis type heroes, but... None of them shows any sign of urgency: It takes a long time for two of them to move the stairs away from L2 (starting at 1:20), also with no urgency. The baggage carts (which presumable prevent the crew from popping the R2 slide) are never moved out of the way.

Well, hetfield already uttered the "peanuts" sentence... :D

windytoo
7th Sep 2010, 16:05
To continue the theme about how other airline's procedures might affect a situation like this. In our outfit, we wait until we have reached the final parking position, shut the engines down and then the captain asks for the doors to be disarmed on the PA. Once he receives the check that the doors are all disarmed he switches the seatbelt signs off to start the disembarkation. On the other hand travelling as a Passenger on BA, I have noticed that the call for the doors to be disarmed comes some time prior to reaching the stand while the aircraft is still moving under its own power. Depending on which system was used in this strange above situation, it would surely have quite a difference on the eventual outcome. In these days where everything has to be written down and standardized for the lawyers, does this not lay someone open to be sued for damages? One would have thought that the airframe manufacturer would have come to the best conclusion when they conducted the evacuation tests, wouldn't they?
I also realize that passengers rarely pay any attention to the seatbelt sign, so maybe it's a theoretical scenario anyway!

Magplug
7th Sep 2010, 17:30
On the other hand travelling as a Passenger on BA, I have noticed that the call for the doors to be disarmed comes some time prior to reaching the stand while the aircraft is still moving under its own power. Interesting observation. All UK companies have their different SOP's and all variations are of course approved by the regulatory authorities.

The SOP's surrounding escape slides are shaped by the inherent dangers and the risks involved. There is a risk of the slide being unusable at certain stages of the operation if it is fouled by something. There is a risk to ground personnel (there have been deaths) due to receiving a slide in the face on the ground. There is probably the greatest risk - and expense - of inadvertent operation by crewmember who became confused over the door state. So you have to balance all the risks.

When an aircraft arrives and shuts down next to an airbridge at least one door slide has become unusable due to the proximity of the airbridge so you might argue that it is better to have to have the doors disarmed just before parking. On the other hand it is SOP in many charter companies for the Captain to order 'close + arm' before the aircraft leaves the stand. Both methods achieve the objective although both methods carry inherent risks.

Slide SOP's are best served by having a fundamental SOP for use and then allowing the Captain the latitude to arm/disarm for other unusual situations. One thing is for sure.... having an engine fire 3 or 4 minutes after shutdown is a most unusual situation and not one you can legislate an SOP for.

As for failing to lower the flaps...... in the big scheme of things that omission would not prevent passengers leaving via the overwing exits if they had a fire burning behind them. In the event that omission was academic.

In my book the event was handled successfully as everyone escaped without injury and they all lived to tell the tale. The can be no better outcome.

BOAC.......Popcorn Munchers....... Priceless!

ATC Watcher
7th Sep 2010, 17:51
There is always a big, often huge diffrence between theory, simulation and the real thing, as this evac proves again.

Reading the 3 pages of the Canadian report on the evac of the AF A340 in Toronto in 2005 does put back things in perspective. Hardly anything worked as planned. And what is in the report is not mentioning everything that went wrong in that evac.
The fact that 200 of the 290 pax exited most with their carry-on luggage though one single exit in the back in less than 2 min and that nobody was killed in the process are in fact the only 2 (very) positive things.
This AF evac is used in many presentations across the industry to demonstrate the difference between training ( and those AF CC were highly trained ) and reality.