PDA

View Full Version : Upholsterers

AC-DC
2nd Jun 2001, 21:08
Can someone recommend good upholsterers to recover leather seats? Car upholsterers can do a good job too I believe.
Forgot to mention, they need to be N.W of London

Thanks

[This message has been edited by AC-DC (edited 02 June 2001).]

VP8
2nd Jun 2001, 22:34
One of the guys in my VW club is an aircraft upholsterer, he recentley did GOWAR at Denham but mostly does VIP a/c , will ask for contact details if he is at club on Tues

BRGDS
VP8

john_tullamarine
3rd Jun 2001, 00:17
.. all fine to use motor trimmers .. but do make sure that they use materials which comply with the relevant burn standards ..

Toppers
3rd Jun 2001, 02:53
I can recommend an excellent person for upholstery. He gave my A/C a superb set of new seats and I know they do the full monty (head linings, carpets, seats, panels etc.). They are based in Andover (Thruxton is their nearest) and if you mail me I wil give you their details.

Chow

AC-DC
3rd Jun 2001, 22:08
Thanks to all of you.
It is going to be leather, therefore no fire problem.

VP8 - Thanks, I am waiting.

Topperes - Thanks, I have emailed to you.

john_tullamarine
4th Jun 2001, 02:16
leather - no fire problem ? ...please don't necessarily believe that yarn. I spend a lot of my time involved with seating design, certification, and manufacture and the reality is quite different.

There is often a problem (principally) with the dyes and other treatments in the leathers.

Generally, for horizontal burn requirements, the leathers are usually ok. However, if you elect to go with a horizontal burn test for your interior, then make sure that you don't get injured in the prang ... and get out ... real quick .....

For vertical burn tests, it is a case of suck it and see for each dye lot.

For the flamethrower test, leather can be a real pain. Again, it is a case of suck it and see.

But, leather, no problem ? .. not necessarily so .....

[This message has been edited by john_tullamarine (edited 03 June 2001).]

AC-DC
4th Jun 2001, 19:11
John
Thanks for the input. I always thought that leather is safe. I know someone who was inside the flames, not a pleasant sight.
I have ordered the hides from the company that supplies Piper so I believe that it should be to standard. Yet, I will appreciate if you can explain a bit more about the hazards. I have noticed that the shop that will perform the work for me uses foam for the base and the back. That made me think. Is it safe? You know, all my assets are there.

Thanks.

john_tullamarine
5th Jun 2001, 01:42
AC-DC,

Leather is a fine dressing - don't get me wrong.

But be aware that there are different flame standards - as in horses for courses. I see that you are in the old country so your rules may be a little different to the US standards with which I usually work.

Consider that

(a) most of the usually encountered civil commercial flame Standards are not of much use in, or relevance to, the aircraft situation

(b) light aircraft of the FAR23 variety only require a flame resistant performance which usually is demonstrated by a simple bunsen burner test with the test specimens held horizontally

(c) heavy aircraft have a requirement for a similar test but with the specimen held vertically. This is rather more demanding of the specimen.

(d) larger aircraft have a comparatively involved flamethrower type of test requirement which is very demanding - leathers can have some considerable difficulty with this test in particular, as we have experienced with some recent jobs.

I would presume that the hides to which you refer are supplied to the horizontal test Standard. Consider that you might prefer to have a better chance of post prang evacuation if you spec a vertical burn test performance, as is your option for all fabrics in the interior refurb.

While not speaking to leather specifically in the following comment, be aware that many (especially "ordinary" commercially sourced fabrics) may perform nicely on the horizontal test, but burn with a most impressive display on the vertical. Additionally, many commercial fabrics, some with commercial flammability certification, burn like a bonfire even with the horizontal test.

This is a sufficient problem that the manufacturer with which I was involved over many years adopted a policy that we would use only vertical performance fabrics unless the customer insisted on a fabric which passed the horizontal but not the vertical test requirement.

So far as the foams go, there are many fire retardant foams in the marketplace.

Presuming that your aircraft is a lightie, I suggest that you consider making your refurb a FAR 25 vertical burn standard. It ought not cost you much more, if at all, but is worth a degree of peace of mind .....

I know what my approach would be if I owned the aircraft ....

[This message has been edited by john_tullamarine (edited 04 June 2001).]

AC-DC
5th Jun 2001, 03:57
Thanks John.
My a.c is an 'N' reg (based in the old world)with the original PVC seat covers. It will be FAR 25
Thanks again.

Pdub
5th Jun 2001, 21:39
Foam wise , all the foam, available in the UK is flame retarded to the standard for domestic furniture, and has been since about 1988.

john_tullamarine
6th Jun 2001, 03:59
Pdub,

While I can't speak to what foams are available in England, your comment highlights my concern.

The Standards to which the foams may comply is very likely to be one or other of the various civil tests.

My experience over the past 25 years or so in Australia, but looking at materials sourced both locally and imported, is that the existence of a domestic Standard compliance means nothing. When tested to the relevant aircraft Standard, the fabric might perform well, or go up like a bonfire. The latter is the more usual observation.

Please, just make sure that you test the prefered materials first - by batch lot. You ought not to give any reliance to domestic or commercial test requirement compliance.

Ask yourself why the airlines don't go to the local department store for their upholstery supplies ......

[This message has been edited by john_tullamarine (edited 06 June 2001).]

LowNSlow
10th Jun 2001, 19:41
There's a chap with a workshop based at Rush Green (near LTN). He has turned out some beautiful work for a variety of aircraft from Tiger Moth seats to full interiors for 172's. I don't have his number but I can find it out if you're interested

AC-DC
11th Jun 2001, 00:38
L&S
Yes please, but I need it within a week if poss.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to answer and to educate me.