PDA

View Full Version : How relevant is a planning controler?

Daermon ATC
30th Aug 2010, 11:59
Just read an article in an aviation magazine (I can not link where as per site norms) stating that AENA (spanish NSP) is considering to get rid of the planning controlers to increase economic eficiency.

Now the article goes on pointing out that this would be asking for another crash like the one at Ueberlingen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_%C3%9Cberlingen_mid-air_collision). I take that this is probably an exageration as things are nowadays a bit tense at the spanish ATC and likeminded media, but I would welcome some other opinions on this issue.

Surferboy
30th Aug 2010, 14:52
Wouldn't want to do without..

DAL208
30th Aug 2010, 15:24
That sounds like the article author doesn't understand that planning or 'delivery' controllers are just normal controllers doing one of a number of positions. However, I think what the ANSP in Spain is after is a form of datalink which could, in the future with some tweaks, render the delivery position redundant thus reducing the number or controllers in the long term. However, having worked with datalink I think it's a fair way away...

shrimp42
30th Aug 2010, 18:41
Was the author writing about a 'planning controller' in the area or aerodrome sense? Two very different roles carried out by controllers with very different ratings.

ZOOKER
30th Aug 2010, 19:49
I suspect that whoever came up with this suggestion is not, (and probably never has been), an area radar controller, or a ground movement controller.
He/she probably has qualifications in accountancy/management.

Daermon ATC
31st Aug 2010, 07:17
@DAL208 Datalink is currently used only in the Canary Islands but not mainland Spain. As you say, I think it is the way to go but still "In a Galaxy far, far away".

@Shrimp42 This change is proposed to affect ACC controllers.

Apparently the justification (which I have no doubt is considered valid by an accountant) is that there are already single-position ACC controllers throughout Europe, used mainly on night-shifts and/or in sectors with reduced capacity. :ooh:

The fact that Ueberlingen was a night shift springs to my mind, but apart from that I wonder if some ACC controllers here have had this type of work at their workplace and if it is safe.

250 kts
31st Aug 2010, 08:40
(and probably never has been), an area radar controller

Could be you eh Zooker?:O:O

BrATCO
31st Aug 2010, 13:20
what the ANSP in Spain is after is a form of datalink which could, in the future with some tweaks, render the delivery position redundant
As it's (more and more) all about economic efficiency, redundancy becomes obsolete and useless in aviation.

The Spannish ANSP seems to have taken good decisions in the way of economical efficiancy during the last few years. :ugh:

ZOOKER
3rd Sep 2010, 19:45
Knots, Greetings.
Nah, Accountancy and 'Management' have never been my bag. More of a physical sciences type really. - (Oh, and spotting, naturally).
In fact I'm very interested in the 'Caledonian Terrane' that Mr Cartman lives on. :E
Rock On Eric! :ok:

bids
5th Sep 2010, 15:32
I'm sure it depends totally on what type of control you're doing and how busy the sectors tend to get, but from the point of view of a (stripless) UAC in busy airspace, it would be total chaos without planning controllers. We wouldn't be able to have anywhere near the sector capacities we currently have.

How are you supposed to be able to coordinate with other sectors as well as talk on the frequency with anything more than a couple or few aircarft in your setor?

I do actually have to coordinate with an adjacent sector which has an "on call planner" policy, and am frequently left hanging on the phone waitinng for the controller to finish speaking to the aircraft. Fine if its not urgent and/or you're not busy yourself. But when you have 5 other calls to make, its causing workload for us as well as them.

undervaluedATC
6th Sep 2010, 02:08
here in "world's best practice" TAAATS land, there is only ever one person to separate/coordinate/communicate - and in my group it's normal to have up 18 aircraft before you start splitting airspace... most times the 18 are beautifully spaced, all on rails, and it's no problem - other times, a 2nd set of eyes would be very useful, but not always available

Sonnendec
1st Oct 2010, 14:07
Hi,

AENA is trying to eliminate the planning controller in ANY sector ANY time in the day (not only night shifts) regardless the complexity of the sector or traffic density. No FHA, no safety study, just economic and profit priority.

OŽLeary is the new #1 fan of the actual AENA (dis)management...