PDA

View Full Version : Airports in Sardinia?

IO540
26th Aug 2010, 13:40
I need one with IFR, avgas, customs...

Most (and there aren't that many) are not replying to emails/fax/AFTN messages.

I have been warned off Cagliari as taking half a day for fuel, though they have responded, giving a phone # for the fuel company.

Any recent experiences?

I know for sure Algero has no avgas, Oristano no avgas or customs.

silverknapper
26th Aug 2010, 13:57
Olbia? It shows in AC-U-KWIK as having avgas, and it certainly has customs and IFR.
When you going? Wil be there in next fortnight hopefully so could report back.

IO540
26th Aug 2010, 14:02
No avgas at Olbia - just got a reply.

I am going 31/8.

Destination is LIER but they have nothing at all.

Jan Olieslagers
26th Aug 2010, 14:10
Had you seen the below site?
Generally, my experience is that in Italy, like in several countries, your chances of getting a reply are much better if you write in their own language.

www.campidivolo.it: il portale dei campi di volo italiani (http://www.campidivolo.it/Dati/Sardegna.htm)

IO540
26th Aug 2010, 14:12
Of course; are you offering a translation service?

FA10
26th Aug 2010, 14:12
Waiting time for refuelling in CAG highly depends on the traffic situation.
If you try to fuel during the peak days (FR/SAT/SUN), you might indeed wait for some time. Generally you can get all you need in CAG, people are really helpful (itīs Sardegna! I know, Iīm based here).
My favorite from the small airfields on the island is Tortoli / Arbatax.
Spectacular landscape, RWY threshold directly on the waterfront, tiny little airport with a very limited amount of commercial (charter) traffic.
Worth a view, try cancelling IFR around Olbia and fly VFR along the coastline - you will remember!
IFR is possible there (cloudbreak procedure with the local beacon). Donīt know about customs and avgas.

Jan Olieslagers
26th Aug 2010, 14:40
Of course; are you offering a translation service?

I am - but offering even less certitudes than my navigation software... not really recommended.

IO540
26th Aug 2010, 15:00
Many thanks FA10 - we have decided Cagliari is the one to go for, since we will have loads of time post-landing to sort out the fuel :ok:

Apparently it is a 2-3hr drive to LIER... would you concur?

Artistic Intention
26th Aug 2010, 15:08
Just looking at the website for Alghero LIEA there is a contact number for avgas:

AV GAS - General Aviation
(+39) 333 9432834
(+39) 349 1099309

You can tell it's been a busy day, looking at the fees page you can be announced on the flight information display board for €1. ;-)

Reminds me of Shoreham.

IO540
26th Aug 2010, 15:12
No avgas at LIEA right now.

chevvron
26th Aug 2010, 15:13
Visited Alghero about 4 years ago in June; it was quiet, a few light aircraft (piston) parked plus 'military' helicopters. No scheduled traffic in those days (may be different now) just IT charters.

FA10
26th Aug 2010, 16:36
IO540, drive from Elmas to Fenosu is not more than one hour on a motorway - like road.
Donīt know about Avgas in Oristano, however it would make me wonder, if they donīt have it at all - as most of the local aircraft will certainly need it! However, as usually in Italy, the fuel is owned and distributed by the local flying clubs, for use in their machines. There might be limitations in giving that fuel away.
BTW - there is also some scheduled traffic into Oristano:
A couple of months ago Denim Air from Holland started scheduled services with Fokker 50s to FCO and - I think - Pisa. Heard them often on the frequency, donīt know the current situation.

FA10

LEGAL TENDER
26th Aug 2010, 17:17
IO540

I am bilingual, PM me your request and I'll translate for you

IO540
26th Aug 2010, 17:30
Many thanks LT; I may well go for that. Currently I have had no reply only from Tortoli LIET, and the Oristano situation is from a local so should be accurate.

LIEA and LIEO are no good (no avgas), LIED shows as military and only Jet A1.

So I will go for Cagliari, with Figaro or Bastia (Corsica) as alternates, since (currently) no other airport in Sardinia seems to have avgas. Having flown direct from the UK I will have enough fuel for only ~400nm after Cagliari so can't mess around too much.

However, as usually in Italy, the fuel is owned and distributed by the local flying clubs, for use in their machines. There might be limitations in giving that fuel away.Yeah, don't I know it, having got shafted over on that at Treviso :) The "aeroclub-only avgas" is a situation not unknown in Greece, too, but at least they don't advertise they have it.

Oristano airport notam:

TESTO ITALIANO: AVGAS 100LL NON DISPONIBILE ENGLISH TEXT: AVGAS 100LL NOT AVAILABLE REF AIP ITALIA AD2 LIER 1-1

Jan Olieslagers
26th Aug 2010, 18:31
Make that Figari - Figaro is from a different competition.

FA10
26th Aug 2010, 19:46
Donīt try LIED (Decimomannu AFB) - theyīll give you a hard time, if you show up there!
Rumour is, that a commuter aircraft on a visual app into CAG messed up the two airports, that are in close proximity (CAG is directly at the water, Deci about 8nm north). Since that day visual approaches into CAG are strictly prohibited...

IO540
26th Aug 2010, 20:12
One Q I have is whether there is any other avgas airport in Sardinia, apart from Cagliari?

BTW, Cagliari has a PPR system like Turkey; they give you a permission number which you put in Box 18 of the flight plan. 24hr PPR.

LEGAL TENDER
26th Aug 2010, 22:41
Since that day visual approaches into CAG are strictly prohibited...

Well it's quite a nasty and complex story. The ATCO in question was charged and jailed. I am surprised the union haven't extended the ban on visual approaches to the rest of Italy.

The aircraft was a bizjet making a visual approach into CAG at night. I believe 6 were killed.

Sorry, off topic

IO540
27th Aug 2010, 08:24
Not really off topic given how much effort it took me to establish the avgas situation...

A lot of people have told me to fly (and refuel) via Figari. The issues with that appear to be:

1) Inbound: a delay at Figari could push the arrival at Oristano past its closing time (which I have not yet managed to establish, due to the airport not replying to emails, faxes or AFTN messages, but it no longer matters).

2) Inbound: Oristano is VFR-only and sub-VFR weather would result in a diversion to a non-avgas airport - except Cagliari which is pretty well strictly PPR, though I am sure would accept a mayday arrival, and a non-issue of a landing clearance by the filed alternate is a legitimate mayday :) And a diversion to a non-avgas airport would possibly result in a flight to Cagliari anyway the following day, without the "benefit" of an emergency situation and thus exposing one to the full PPR requirement, which is a helluva lot easier to sort out when still at home on ADSL :)

3) Outbound: hard pushed to make the UK before closing time, if refuelling at Figari.

4) Any refuel/turnaround delay at Figari would result in a hotel for 3 which would wipe out the fuel cost savings.

Time to get myself a turboprop :)

thing
27th Aug 2010, 08:34
Excuse the thread creep but I got to tell you a story about Deci. I was there in the 70's on Harriers and the IAF had F104's at the time. The Italian conscripts who did the guarding etc were very badly paid (we used to buy beer for them it was that bad) and totally uninterested.

So one night, our conscript is guarding a row of 104's out on the pan. He gets a little bored and has a swing on the pitot probe on the nearest jet. He then realises he's bent it. So panic ensuing he then bent the pitot probes of the other 11 jets to match the one he had already bent and hoped no one would notice...

IO540
27th Aug 2010, 10:48
Very funny and entirely believable :)

Update on Cagliari LIEE, from info (at) aeroservice.it

AVGAS price is 2,97 € x lt. (DUTY Included & VAT Included)

Handling service price is 50 € for each aircraft until 3 ton of MTOW and
8,50 € for each pax (10 € for extra CEE flights)

Landing fees few 2,75 € + 13,74 € for apron mangment + 0,08 € for each ton x
parking hours.

AfricanEagle
27th Aug 2010, 13:28
Check fuel availability at Figari. A couple of weeks ago they had none and everyone was flying into Propriano to refuel.

IO540
27th Aug 2010, 17:54
Thanks for the tip... checking them now.

I have finally heard from Oristano (2 days later). No avgas, and indeed it is notamed too.

If Figaro has no fuel, the alternate would have to be Ajaccio (H24, the works).

Jan Olieslagers
27th Aug 2010, 19:10
Sorry to insist IO540, but Figaro is a barber, a very famous barber. The Corsican city and a/d are called Figari. Asking for Figaro a/d in Italy or its vicinity might lead to unexpected behaviour from local authorities.

IO540
27th Aug 2010, 19:57
Don't worry :) :) I just email and fax them, and use the ICAO codes.

I've never heard of Figaro...

LH2
28th Aug 2010, 00:59
I've never heard of Figaro

A not particularly notable story about some bored nobleman pretending to be a penniless student in Seville in order to impress a chick. Typical XVIII century pulp fiction kind of rubbish, eventually made famous largely due to its opera adaptation. To this day you still hear more or less approximative renditions of the first aria from showers around the world.

(Not that I'm qualified to judge, having been kicked out of conservatory after the first semester, due to incompetence. :{)

LEGAL TENDER
28th Aug 2010, 10:20
While in Italy, look for some "Figa" as well ;)

IO540
29th Aug 2010, 16:38
I have not got a response from Figari for past 3 days, to emails, faxes, AFTN messages, and the ARO phone # is not answered. Great stuff.

I just need an alternate for Cagliari LIEE which has avgas and which is less than 100nm away... :)

Now trying Ajaccio LFKJ (an H24 airport with "everything") but the person who knows about fuel will not be back till tomorrow :ugh:

I have done this kind of stuff many times but this one is taking longer than usual.

No wonder the Americans take the p1ss out of Europe.. though one must admit that part of Europe is really N Africa. Greece (which many people find hard) is much easier.

Jan Olieslagers
29th Aug 2010, 19:24
Have you tried the aeroclub at Figari?
Aeroclub Sud Corse - Figari (http://aeroclubsudcorse.free.fr/)

Contact : roger . fillinger at wanadoo . fr ([email protected]) ou 06.33.67.88.26 (from http://aerofil.monsite-orange.fr/page1/index.html)

and, should you want an interpreter/translator, my French is much better than my Italian...

IO540
29th Aug 2010, 19:31
Many thanks - have emailed him.

BTW I have finally heard back from Tortoli LIET.

FLT NON SKED MUST OBTAIN PPR 48HR
BEFORE BY PHONE +30 0782 624900 OR FAX +39 0782 624901.

and NO avgas.

So I now have confirmations from the actual airports of NO avgas in Sardinia except Cagliari LIEE.

Ajaccio LFKJ in Corsica have just told me they have avgas. Figari I have been unable to contact by any means.

pa_24_260
30th Aug 2010, 15:28
I just called the Figari airport managing authority (+33495711001) and got a reply. The lady who answered confirmed that there had recently been issues with the supply of 100 LL but she assured me it was now sorted out and that everything was in order again.

Being a native French speaker, I'd be happy to assist with any further contacts you may need for French airports.

IO540
30th Aug 2010, 16:48
Many thanks PA24 - that was the number on which there was no reply earlier. I will take this on board but it is too late to change plans now. We are flying direct from the UK tomorrow morning, 900nm. The forecast tailwind is impressive but not necessary :) On the way back, due to headwinds, I may stop at St Yan LFLN which is a stop well known to me, where there won't be any problems.

Fuji Abound
30th Aug 2010, 18:46
http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz66/fujiflyer/2xeu_jt1.gif

Well with the jet stream looking like this and a well established high with no frontal activity you will have an easy trip.

Just be selective about your return routing if you wish to make good speed having just come the wrong way! :)

Enjoy.

IO540
2nd Sep 2010, 08:07
I am "pleased" to report that in line with Italian tradition Oristano LIER does have avgas but won't sell it to anybody that anybody present will own up to knowing :)

We landed at Caglieri LIEE, with efficient handling by aeroservice.it for about 50 euros plus some small charge for parking. I doubt any ATCO south of Corsica would have qualified for ICAO Level 1 English but one is used to that down there :)

6hrs or so airborne time; loads of tailwind. Got some reasonable pics e.g. (http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m74/peterh337/alps-201008.jpg)

Fuji Abound
2nd Sep 2010, 21:37
Super photo - how were the winds coming back?

IO540
3rd Sep 2010, 17:09
Headwind 5-10kt most of the way. Took about 6hrs, on best-economy cruise.

I can understand the resistance to ICAO Level 4 English among ATC. Italy might make Level 1 :) Quite dodgy stuff goes on the radio, at times.

hegemon88
29th May 2016, 20:46
Dear All,

Does anyone have up-to-date experience with Alghero LIEA? I am going to visit north-west Sardinia with my family (by CAT) and would like to explore possibilities to get checked out on a PA28 and fly solo for a bit. Years ago, i.e. before the previous family trip there I recall finding a website of a local flying school, now nowhere to be found. Closed down?

/h88