PDA

View Full Version : Terminology question

FrenchAviator
23rd Aug 2010, 16:42
Hi all.

A long-time lurker and flying enthusiast here.

I'm trying to work out how to say (correctly) in English, the following French term:

"chaîne radio-téléphone de sécurité"

I think it is "Safety radio channel" or something along those lines, but I'd welcome and help in finding the exact expression.

Moira
23rd Aug 2010, 18:37
Emergency radio/telephone system?

Spitoon
23rd Aug 2010, 19:01
Don't know much about how things are done in France but here are a few possible equivalents from the UK.

SAFETYCOM - a frequency that can be used at an aerodrome when no other frequency is promulgated. It's intended to be used to announce the pilot's intentions with out any response from anyone. More details at CAP 413, Chapter 4, Section 6 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP413.pdf).

Air/Ground Communications Service - a sort of cut-down aerodrome Flight information Service. Frequency is promulgated for an aerodromeand there is supposed to be someone on the ground answering calls during hours of operation - although who they are and what they can do for you is pretty much undefined.

121.5 - the international VHF aeronautical distress frequency. Sometimes just called '121.5' or Guard.

Are any of these what you are looking for?

Moira
23rd Aug 2010, 19:15
FrenchAviator,

can you give us a broader context? Does it refer to some kind of VCS radio emergency system?

This (http://www.ineo-es.fr/action/detailes/en/Offres/SC.html) company website calls it a "security radiotelephony line"
French company though, so not sure at all if that would be a correct translation :uhoh:

FrenchAviator
23rd Aug 2010, 20:16
"In the event of a power failure, there must be backup power the the Flight Plan Processing System, "chaine radio-téléphone de sécurité", and Digital Audio Legal Recorder.

I'm tempted to think it's just a fancy way of saying "the radio" as I can't find any real equivalent for it.....

Many thanks for your input, it is much appreciated!

Minesthechevy
24th Aug 2010, 06:40
Hi

Given the context, I would be tempted to say its the 'Guard Frequency', ie 121.5.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
24th Aug 2010, 07:14
Dunno M...... he's talking about some Flight Plan Processing System now.. all very puzzling.

aluminium persuader
24th Aug 2010, 15:58
I think it might be about a stand-by transmitter, in case of mains failure, powered from a separate source?

grizzled
24th Aug 2010, 16:59
A suggestion...

Transport Canada has a division called "Aviation Terminology and Linquistic Services". Their sole purpose is translation of aviation terms between French and English. You can call them at: +1.613-990-2309 (during normal Ottawa office hours).