PDA

View Full Version : How many Canadians find Pprune their choice to communicate?

Chuck Ellsworth
12th Aug 2010, 18:01
The discussions on the Air Canada fiasco got me to wondering how many Canadians come here rather than use the Canadian forum?

And why?

Idle Thrust
12th Aug 2010, 18:49
I have been a devotee of Danny's site for over eleven years and read it with interest daily. Very occasionally I contribute.
I like it for its wide international coverage especially the contributions from the Brits and the expats - good stuff from those who have done (or are doing) flying that was beyond my experience. The tech stuff is great.

I also read AVWeb (if that's the forum to which you referred) and used to read the ACPA one. Now that it's gone and AVWeb is heavily censored I guess we have to thank Danny and his mods for their tolerance allowing free speech albeit under anonymous ID's. The bitter nature of many posts on the Age 60 topic must amuse those outside Canada but one does not have to read it, does one?

Idle

clunckdriver
12th Aug 2010, 21:23
Idle Thrust, AV WEBB and AV CANADA are two totally different sites. Av Canada lost me some time ago, they are PC and self rightous to the point of being totally absurd, to call Chuck{A man and pilot I truly respect}, a racist when his folks were here thousands of years before us is just one example of their bloody stupidity,I often dont see things the way Brits do but they do understand frank discussion, after all they did invent "Speakers Corner" {And if in London its the greatest entertaiment on a sunny afternoon!} So to answer the question, yes, as a Canuck I use PPrune.

CD
13th Aug 2010, 00:43
There are actually quite a few other Canadian aviation forums out there as well that I contribute to from time to time. Generally, I don't get too involved in the more heated discussions so haven't been directly impacted when threads are locked or deleted (here or elsewhere). However, all forums have some level of moderation and even here at PPRuNe there are some sections that are moderated quite closely ... and I understand how that can be a necessity at times.

Truly, I haven't seen that happen very often here in the Canada section but I am sure that we get checked up on from time to time in order to ensure that we play nice.

For me, I will continue to make contributions to topics that are of interest to me or when I am able to share information in answer to questions that others might pose.

polyfiber
13th Aug 2010, 01:33
I pretty much gave up on Av Canada for the same reasons as you Clunk Driver. Some of the statements about flight manouvers from the "instructors" left me baffled as well. There is a lot of good posts and good posters also but the rest of the crap is too over the top for my tastes.

OldCanuckPilot
13th Aug 2010, 01:34
"Communicate?"

Have you become so accustomed to this that it can still hold that definition? This isn't communication, it's childish bickering that accomplishes nothing. Three forums now have seen it that way, when will the message be heard? Defending one's position is one thing, hurling abuse and insults is another.

Would you read these posts over the PA on your next trip? Not a chance.

Jim

Big Pistons Forever
13th Aug 2010, 04:06
I had just about given up on Avcanada when the moderators started cracking down on serial abusers. There was less than a dozen frequent posters who were only interested in bating and insulting all the other posters, and who managed to derail and then ruin almost every thread. New posters were being chased away and the the site was slowly being stangled. All have now either cleaned up their acts (like Hedly) or like a typical bullies, took off when held accountable for their actions (like Cat Driver). I still like pprune for its international contributors and for the often very learned comments by folks with obvious deep qualifications in a large number of technical fields on the aircrew thread. I think it is no coincedence that these forums are heavily moderated.

Many of the other forums are pretty lame. Sadly the travesty that is the Air Canada over 60 thread is a good example of what happens when mods are MIA.

I used to post a fair amount on the pprune instructor forum but there seems to be little interest in many of the regular posters to actually post usefull information. Instead pompous gas bags pontificate on trivia or revel in there self proclaimed superior knowledge, thus there are usually only one to three new posts a day and hardly any interesting and engaging threads. The Avcanada instructor forum used to be the same way but has recently become, largely IMO due to the efforts of the mods, what I think is the best instructor forum on net.

polyfiber
13th Aug 2010, 04:33
Interesting comment Big Pistons. Cat is a pretty decent guy and I never found Hedly's post to be offensive, maybe not tolerant of an opposing view but never offensive.

Actually of all the people who posted there were three I enjoyed the most. Hedly's, Cat's and yours! A few of the moderators like to steer the discussions toward their view, which is human nature of course, but in the last year it has become so blatent with so many comments deleted at times you found it hard to follow the thread.

The main reason I don't visit Av Canada is the negative atmosphere that hangs over the website. Constant whinning about pay and the "we are all going to die because flying is soooo dangerous" attitude.

Zombywoof
13th Aug 2010, 05:21
I think you guys take it too seriously. Internet forums are not real life, they are an alternate universe, an entity unto themselves. Nobody should ever get their shirt in a knot over something that happens in a forum, because it's just a forum. It ain't real. People can argue with you, curse at you, delete your posts, ban you...... who gives a fiddler's fart? It ain't real life.

Left Coaster
13th Aug 2010, 14:21
Jeez...how do you follow that? I was going to post about how Avcanada has dissolved into a kiddy v kiddy poop tossing forum filled with such grammatical gems such as "there" instead of "their"...or words like alot, and my favourite...loose instead of lose...that one somehow sends me to the edge of reason... (cmon guys and girls did you actually go to your English 10 classes?) and much more...and I agree with those postings above about the instant and vociferous shouts of rage if a post doesn't meet with approval...but hey they did jump on the racists pretty quickly when that got out of hand a while back. Suffice it to say that what I witnessed on Avcanada is intrinsically what seems to be wrong with aviation in the old country...pure hatred of those who might have more that oneself...I bailed out some time ago...maybe if the maturity level of the brats who wrecked it grew a bit I would go back...:rolleyes:

clunckdriver
13th Aug 2010, 14:34
Well said Left Coaster, My good lady and I recentley got a chuckle out of one Av Can poster slaming me for pointing out that we made more $ flying our little twin the we were ever paid for driving the heavy stuff, the next e mail we recieved was from the same poster looking for a job! He even stated that he would work for less than my present F/O! Im sure he is still out there bitching about his lot in life. By the way, dont get too critical of spelin/grama/, my generation hired ladies to do the spelling/punctuating, also the two finger typin system aint very fast! Yours in jest, Clunck.

Zombywoof
13th Aug 2010, 17:42
filled with such grammatical gems such as "there" instead of "their"...or words like alot, and my favourite...loose instead of lose...that one somehow sends me to the edge of reason...For a fine example of the high grammatical standards here on PPrune, may I refer you to the thread in this forum entitled "ppllzzzzz help me". Oh, never mind, that kid probably came over from Avcanada anyway.

hey they did jump on the racists pretty quicklyOver there it's quite easy to be branded a racist. There are some moderators who see racism everywhere. Chuck could tell you about it.

I still don't see why you guys can't just ignore the stuff you don't like. If a jet-flying moderator calls me a racist and I know I'm not, why should I give a sh*t about what he thinks? Arguing with moderators is a complete waste of time, so I'd ignore him and move on.

It's not the mental midgets that don't know the difference between a hanger and a hangar that are screwing the place up, it's the numbskulls that come in frothing at the mouth and talking about lawsuits and libel, two words that cause the ownership and the moderatorship to tremble in their wee widdle booties.

The place would be better if the lot of you came back and carried on where you left off. It's only a forum, you do have the option of reading a post, deciding the author is an idiot, and moving to the next one. Works for me.

M-rat
14th Aug 2010, 14:23
I like PPrune a lot. It's my only option. We don't have a union here, nor a pilots' association, in the sandbox.

After I retired from AC, the three amigos running the OAC site declined to allow me to continue participating there, so...

PPrune is it!

It is a well moderated site, not too PC, as there are more truths to the issues than Trudeu's "just society" would allow the typical Canadian to comprehend. It's good for old boy contact stuff as well - I was able to re-establish contact with an old friend some years ago and that was real nice. I like to keep up as much as I can with what's happening in Canada. I wish there was more participation and posting actually!

Happy Contrails

Flytdeck
15th Aug 2010, 07:21
PPrune is a great spot for "lurking" for Canadian Pilots who want to keep aware of the international scene. It also has some great information and tips on specific aircraft and destinations (along with a lot of "heads-up" material). For airline employees in Canada, there are better forums for information and participation on current topics.
Short answer. I consider PPrune is a supplemental resource, not a primary.

Big Pistons Forever
17th Aug 2010, 01:43
PPrune is a great spot for "lurking" for Canadian Pilots who want to keep aware of the international scene. It also has some great information and tips on specific aircraft and destinations (along with a lot of "heads-up" material). For airline employees in Canada, there are better forums for information and participation on current topics.
Short answer. I consider PPrune is a supplemental resource, not a primary.

My guess is you have accurately captured the habits of the majority of Canadian pilots who visit pprune.

Chuck Ellsworth
17th Aug 2010, 03:02
I wonder how many Canadian pilots who have flown for many years in Europe and the rest of the world are attracted to Pprune for the simple reason they relate to these areas of the world from having worked there?

And like me have lost touch with the Canadian scene?

bunkhog
17th Aug 2010, 22:02
Hi Chuck.

Actually, I viewed the ACPA forum before they pulled the plug. We could have probably kept the site going, and all benefited from some of the good threads about layovers, cell phone plans, computer stuff, etc...except that they closed it down because of the 60+ stuff. Used to be seniority that made people's blood boil...now it's a bunch a hangers-on that benefited from those ahead retiring, and now want their cake...and mine too.

It was easy to avoid though;; I just ignored those threads.

Lo and behold I come back to pPrune after a 3 year absence to find Captain Hall et al polluting this forum as well. Had I my way, we would have just said the retired guys no longer have access to the ACPA Forum. Or set up a "Retired" section and locked everything else. The benefit of having a few decent, retired good posters was far outweighed by some of the baiting of the retired guys with no life now, who could sit around on the Forum and cast hooks for Ray to use in court.

So, while I would have to say pPrune has only been put back in to my favorites because my union's forum was closed down, after only a few days, I am disappointed with most of the content on this forum. People hiding behind a "handle" are unusually verbose about things. I actually miss EzBoard. With people having to use their real names, it seemed a little more gentlemanly...even with a few grammar nazis like there seem to be here.

polyfiber
18th Aug 2010, 02:57
Hi Chuck,

The "Canadian scene" simply doesn't exist anymore on Av Canada. No pilot I know can relate to the negative garbage they view as Canadian aviation.

Chuck Ellsworth
18th Aug 2010, 03:49
Polyfier, I still read Avcanada and have noticed that most of the posters now are fairly recent ones.

A lot of the older long time posters are gone.

I guess the generation gap plays a fair bit in the changes that have taken place.

I know that I have very little in common with a lot of the pilots who are now in aviation, and therein lies most of the reasons I got tired of being involved in the discussions.

Rhys Perraton
18th Aug 2010, 20:00
Hello, I would have to agree with some of the sentiments posted here. PPRUNE has some great stuff such as Aviation History and so on and many people seem to be on it because they have a real interest in, and enjoy, aviation.
Sharp contrast to the moaning, whining, snivelling bunch of ninnies that inhabit Avcanada.
I will never look at it again.

Zombywoof
18th Aug 2010, 22:18
Well, I miss Cat, and I miss BPF, and I miss all the guys who've taken their bat and ball to another playground. We all lose when this happens.

Pilot DAR
19th Aug 2010, 03:37
PPRuNe is the only such website I use. I did look at Av Canada, but was not impressed, and did not appreciate the whining I read. Though there is bunk here too, even the whiners seem to generally conduct themselves at a higher level.

That said, the Canada forum here does not offer a great deal to me, several other forums are much more useful on a day to day basis.

When you find a good PPRuNer, they're great!

+TSRA
19th Aug 2010, 14:17
Personally, I began using PPRune when I was working in New Zealand and brought it home with me - so I was using this site long before I even knew forums like AvCanada existed.

I've never been a big AvCanada fan and left when I realised it was really just a bunch of 'chip on their shoulder' kind of posters who were more interested in making stupid comments and stirring gossip, rather than providing information.

I guess the big catch for me here on PPRune is what Rhys Perraton was getting at:

PPRUNE has some great stuff such as Aviation History and so on and many people seem to be on it because they have a real interest in, and enjoy, aviation.

You actually get an answer that is professional, rather than sorting through 10 posts of "how the hell do you have a license?" type responses before finding one, tiny shred of information.

Big Pistons Forever
19th Aug 2010, 15:02
I think Avcanada has significantly improved in the last year both in tone and the value of its content. If you want current info on what is going on in Canada, it is the place to go. This forum IMO does not seem to attract much interest as evident by the low number of new posts on any given day...

OldCanuckPilot
6th Sep 2010, 18:24
Has it occurred to anyone that a forum is made up of its membership, and as such the tone is set by it? Doesn't look like it from the cheap seats.

Chuck, just b/c posters are "new" doesn't mean we aren't old a full of experience. This is about my 5th post here on Pprune, does that make me irrelevant in your eyes? Must I have 5000 posts before my thoughts are pertinent?

Chuck Ellsworth
7th Sep 2010, 01:05
OldCanuckPilot, why would you feel I would find your thoughts to be not pertinent?

I believe you are referring to this comment I made?

Polyfier, I still read Avcanada and have noticed that most of the posters now are fairly recent ones.

A lot of the older long time posters are gone.

What I was saying was a lot of the posters who had been regulars for years gradually quit posting and were replaced by new members in the forum, which is to be expected over time.

The newer posters seem to be of a different mindset and some are new to aviation thus have a different perspective on the industry.

I found over time I have little in common with them thus have lost interest in being part of the group.

Judging from some of the comments made here about my not posting on Avcanada anymore it has improved Avcanada so it is a win, win for everyone.

Seems I was perceived as a bully and my departure will be a plus for them. :ok::ok:

clunckdriver
7th Sep 2010, 10:55
Old Canuck Pilot, If indeed you, and others of your ilk do in fact have an aviation background then why not give some indication of such experience on your public profile? This way one is able to craft replies to your posts based on this information, if you dont post some information then most of us write you of as just another "Walt", as the Brits say.

airtids
9th Sep 2010, 20:03
I used Avcanada as a way to keep abreast of, and involved in, the industry in Canada when I was living and running an operation far removed from any reasonable "center" of aviation. I posted with my real name, occasionally posted things that some took offence to, and occasionally ran into afoul of a $hitdisturber or two. I am generally proud of my contributions to that forum over the years (since the old days when it was the ladder-style forum!!), and shake my head at how much money I have made off that site. I don't see it as being any better or worse now than it always has been.

That being said, I have also always come to pprune for a refreshing, professional, more worldly view of my chosen industry.

I find that now that I 1) am no longer an owner, and 2) am based in a bigger center, my contributions to Avcanada have pretty much dried up. Just no longer enough incentive to tolerate the BS.

Robin

OldCanuckPilot
9th Sep 2010, 23:37
Old Canuck Pilot, If indeed you, and others of your ilk do in fact have an aviation background then why not give some indication of such experience on your public profile? This way one is able to craft replies to your posts based on this information, if you dont post some information then most of us write you of as just another "Walt", as the Brits say.

Pardon??? My "ilk?"

If indeed you were a "Clunck" driver, I can assure you we are about the same age, and I have been around the proverbial block more than a few times. I am however rather new to this whole aviation website world, and I am also a bit perplexed at the attitudes on display, as evidenced by your post, among others. Why don't you post your c.v. for us and we can debate whether or not it is worth responding to further?

Chuck Ellsworth
10th Sep 2010, 00:32
Before this thread comes off the rails due to personalities clashing let me assure you that Clunkdriver has a very impressive C.V. OldCanuckPilot as I personally know him.

When I started this subject my intent was to find out where people prefer to post and read not to generate a sand box fight among pilots.

How about everyone taking a deep breath and staying on track here?

By the way when you ask someone to prove their background and show proof of what they have done that works two ways.

Fortunately I use my real name and my C.V. is not a problem.

OldCanuckPilot
10th Sep 2010, 00:49
If indeed you, and others of your ilk do in fact have an aviation background then why not give some indication of such experience on your public profile?

You mean like this Chuck?

It seems my motivation in joining here is a bit different than other people's. I'm not here to beat my chest, drag out my c.v. for all to see, and generally make it all about me. I'm here to see what others have to say, perhaps learn a thing or two, and contribute where I can.:8

To date my only real contributions have been on the medium itself, as in all my years dealing with people, I can't say I've ever seen anything quite like these 'forums.' Odd culture to be sure.:ugh:

If you're going to leap to the defense of someone who in turn is jumping to conclusions about me "and my ilk," then I could gently suggest you apply your standards with a little broader brush stroke.:=

To be on topic, I think for Canadian aviation information this particular site is nearly useless, just not enough going on. There are some good and active parts of the site however, but there seems to be a lot of nastiness floating around.:sad:

Chuck Ellsworth
10th Sep 2010, 02:25
I can't say I've ever seen anything quite like these 'forums.' Odd culture to be sure.

Yes, for sure the culture lacks civility and respect for others probably due to the anonymity of the posters.

I sometimes feel that being a participant in these forums is a waste of time, however there are some good discussions and that keeps me involved.

If you're going to leap to the defense of someone who in turn is jumping to conclusions about me "and my ilk," then I could gently suggest you apply your standards with a little broader brush stroke.

I am sure that there would be more civility if it were not for the anonymity factor.

At least I don't hide behind anonymity.

I can understand Canadians preferring the Canadian site, however the last decade or so of my career my business was based out of London England so I feel quite comfortable here.

iflyforpie
10th Sep 2010, 03:57
It sure does seem a lot 'cleaner' and more 'civil' over here.

But I'm like where AirTids was, pretty far from the center of aviation and it's a lot easier to connect and relate to other aviators on the other site.

But more and more, I'd rather sift through irrelevant topics and posts here than the BS over there...

Good to read you again Chuck and clunkdriver!

Rollingthunder
10th Sep 2010, 04:16
I quite like the wide ranging discussions and far flung people. Keeps things interesting. 10 1/2 years in. Don't do other aviation forums.

clunckdriver
10th Sep 2010, 16:33
Old Canuck, may I sugest again that you give some info on your public profile of your aviation background {Dont need a full CV] then folks will know if you are not just another Troll/Walt thus your posts will merit informed replies, for myself if I published my full details I would be up to my neck in CVs every morning from deserving pilots looking for seats, as it is, I get far too many from pilots I cant help, thus I chose not to publish my full name ect, as it is I think my public profile gives enough info for folks to work out that I do indeed have an aviation background. {By the way 1750hrs on the "Sled", best fun I ever had!}

dhc2widow
10th Sep 2010, 18:13
I've been a member here for over three years, I only just filled out some info on my profile ... OldCanuckPilot is a total newb, give him/her a chance to figure out what he/she is comfortable disclosing ;) Oh, and I hope a lack of aviation background doesn't make one's opinions irrelevant (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)??!?

Users like Chuck and Clunck have an incredible amount of knowledge and experience that anyone can learn from ... god knows I learned more from these two gentlemen than from anything I've read, books, articles, research papers, whatever ... I hope they both know what a compliment that is meant to be.

They and others like them are sorely missed over at THAT place ... and frankly, they both hold a very special place in my heart. Even if I am a mod over there ;)

Chuck Ellsworth
10th Sep 2010, 18:30
Don't worry widow you are still special as far as I am concerned. :) :ok:

clunckdriver
10th Sep 2010, 19:42
Thank you Widow, Im afraid that some of your fellow mods at "the other place" have destoyed the site with their limited experience of the world and PC perspective which make any views which clash with their restricted opinions to be out of bounds, on this site I can state that "God meant the little wheel to be on the tail" and I dont get a lecture from some born again zelot, rather I get PMs asking for a tailwheel checkout, which once my little aircraft is back in tha air I will be happy to do , also I can use the normal phrase from my generation for "Gay" and not get chastized for its use. I think, as Chuck has stated ,that Canada is getting so bloody PC that soon there will be no meaningfull debates this side of the Ogin, we could learn from the Brits in this field. {Boy, hows that for thread drift?}

Chuck Ellsworth
10th Sep 2010, 21:05
The lack of respect for older pilots shown by so many on the Canadian site is mindboggling.

Judging from some of their comments us older pilots have done something very wrong by getting old.

Obviously they have yet to figure out that maybe we got old because we actually do know how to fly and make good decisions.

There was a time when I wanted to start a one person training business using my Cub to teach stick and rudder skills to the younger generation, however that desire has pretty well gone as being old is to much of a negative and I would have been wasting my time.

So screw it I will just fly it for my own pleasure.

One day I was at the airport and a couple of pilots flying a B1900 were looking at the PBY that is parked in Nanaimo and I got to talking to them. During the conversation I asked them if their company ever needed part time pilots on the 1900.

The guy with the four gold bars on his shoulders asked me why I was asking so I said maybe I would consided some part time flying.

He looked at me as if I were an untouchable and asked me if I had any turbine time.

So I asked him if he meant fixed or rotary wing?

He got even more arrogant and said what kind of a fixed wing turbine airplane did I last fly, so I said a B 767 and asked him how much time he had on one.

His F.O. almost pissed his pants trying to keep from laughing and the gold braided hero just walked away and never answered my question. :sad:

dhc2widow
11th Sep 2010, 07:33
Sounds like the lack of respect you attribute to the OTHER site is just as prevenlent in real life :(

clunckdriver
11th Sep 2010, 12:32
Old Canuck, ILK {From Random House Dictionary} "Family or class,or kind "From the same classs"he and his Ilk" In Scotland "of the same family name" ie Ross of Ross, Of the same equiv or like kind, I dont see anything insulting in the use of "Ilk", nor was any insult intended, Regards, Clunck.

Big Pistons Forever
12th Sep 2010, 04:52
The lack of respect for older pilots shown by so many on the Canadian site is mindboggling.

Judging from some of their comments us older pilots have done something very wrong by getting old.

Obviously they have yet to figure out that maybe we got old because we actually do know how to fly and make good decisions.

There was a time when I wanted to start a one person training business using my Cub to teach stick and rudder skills to the younger generation, however that desire has pretty well gone as being old is to much of a negative and I would have been wasting my time.

So screw it I will just fly it for my own pleasure.

One day I was at the airport and a couple of pilots flying a B1900 were looking at the PBY that is parked in Nanaimo and I got to talking to them. During the conversation I asked them if their company ever needed part time pilots on the 1900.

The guy with the four gold bars on his shoulders asked me why I was asking so I said maybe I would consided some part time flying.

He looked at me as if I were an untouchable and asked me if I had any turbine time.

So I asked him if he meant fixed or rotary wing?

He got even more arrogant and said what kind of a fixed wing turbine airplane did I last fly, so I said a B 767 and asked him how much time he had on one.

His F.O. almost pissed his pants trying to keep from laughing and the gold braided hero just walked away and never answered my question. :sad:

I see we are back to the Chuck "let me tell you how studendous I was and and how stupid the other guy was" posts. Well I am sure Chuck, and a few others, will be happy because this Canadian pilots' interest in using the pprune Canada forum to communicate anything...... is now officially zero.

clunckdriver
12th Sep 2010, 11:41
Big Pistons, many of us came to this site to avoid postings such as your one above, please keep to your comitment to stay away from PPrune so as to avoid it descending to the level on "The Other Place", Thanking you in advance, Clunck.

Big Pistons Forever
12th Sep 2010, 15:00
Big Pistons, many of us came to this site to avoid postings such as your one above, please keep to your comitment to stay away from PPrune so as to avoid it descending to the level on "The Other Place", Thanking you in advance, Clunck.

Happy to oblige :)

Chuck Ellsworth
12th Sep 2010, 15:41
I am sure that many here are wondering why anyone would display as much vitriol towards another poster as Big pistons forever does on a public forum for all to read.

Let me give you all the background on how he became so intent on dissing as many of my posts as possible.

To the best of my knowledge I have never met this individual, or if I have he has yet to indicate when or where.

Some time ago during a discussion regarding flight training someone remarked that the Fleet Canuck is an excellent training aircraft and B.P.F. stated that it was not a good training aircraft as it does not have brakes on the right hand side for the instructor.

I commented that that was not a real problem and he stated that he would never teach on one as it is unsafe.

I was amazed that a self professed class one instructor would take that stance towards an aircraft with an excellent safety record and commented that had he started his flight instructor career when I did he would not have become an instructor as the Fleet Canuck was one of the main aircraft used in ab-initio flight training.

He went a little off the rails by my statement and our internet interaction quickly decended to where it is today.

I will now in public apoligize for having maybe over stated the issue.

I was wrong saying he would not have become a flight instructor by refusing to teach on an aircraft without brakes in front of the instructor.

Of course he could have been an instructor, however he would have been self limited on the booking sheet to only flying dual brake equipped airplanes thus limiting his supply of students as most every student learned on the Fleet Canuck at some point in their lessons.

And that was how all this started.

Mechanic787
12th Sep 2010, 16:26
Unfortunately, unrelentless personal attacks tend to come with the territory here. The best means of dealing with them is to simply ignore them and soldier on, given the anonymity of the medium.

Console yourself with the thought that ad hominem is almost always the last resort of the challenged, for if the individual had something meaningful to contribute, that contribution would obviously take priority over the personal attack.

Chuck Ellsworth
12th Sep 2010, 17:06
Of course it is usually best to ignore personal attacks on these forums.

Usually I try to, however in this case the individual is not content with my decision to leave the Canadian forum, he follows me to Pprune with these constant efforts to denigrate me.

He is anonymous therefore he is at no risk personally due to being anonymous.

I on the other hand have chosen to use my real name and get tired of being attacked by someone who hides behind a keyboard.

CanadaKid
13th Sep 2010, 18:49
Mechanic 787 says>Console yourself with the thought that ad hominem is almost always the last resort of the challenged, for if the individual had something meaningful to contribute, that contribution would obviously take priority over the personal attack.<

Ditto.

Personally I read Pprune almost exclusively for aviation related material. Cheers, CK

xsbank
17th Sep 2010, 03:36
I MISSED YOU CHUCK! Good to hear you are still alive and kicking and as crusty as I am, still!:D

Actually, hello to all you Avcanada expats! I'm finding the 'other' place sterile and boring.... does that mean we should mess this place up??:=

Hi Kirsten!

jamiepilot77
17th Sep 2010, 17:50
I wonder what had happened to Chuck, and Doc and some of the others "over there". I never posted much but it was great reading your posts.

Chuck Ellsworth
18th Sep 2010, 02:50
One of the reasons I don't post there anymore is due to what they feel is objectionable and what is O.K.

Here is an example from one of their posters who uses this as his signature at the bottom of his posts.

Will supply vitamins, Viagra and laxatives for Captains over 60... but you buy the damn beer.

Interesting that it is in an Air Canada discussion and the poster seems to be an Air Canada pilot.

Maybe I am old fashioned but that is not exactly the kind of character trait I feel a pilot should have.

fesmokie
19th Sep 2010, 21:15
Ive been a Ppruner for some time now and quite enjoy it. Beats the crap out of most other Aviation sites that I'm aware of. When I was active flying around the world it became a usefull tool as well. Like where to find a beer in Eham or Kuwait. Keep it up Pprune dudes!:ok:

engfireleft
19th Sep 2010, 23:44
This same poster used this as his signature for a long time thinking he was making a point in his favour and sticking a needle into the side of pro-60 people. Unfortunately he has no idea that it is entirely consistent with Ray Hall's and many other people's efforts to get ACPA to deal with the issue as a matter of law instead of wishful thinking.

"This is not about fairness...It is about law." Raymond Hall

CD
20th Sep 2010, 01:27
Ah but Chuck, pilots now are just like they were then. A wise prophet by the name of Cat Driver said it like this (http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=29300&start=58):
Let me think for a moment....yeh..it was thirty nine years ago when I got my captain check ride on the DC3 and I can assure you there was no shortage of experienced pilots then.

In fact it was just like today, pilots would sodomize a goat on the city hall steps at high noon to get upgraded.
;)

Chuck Ellsworth
20th Sep 2010, 02:02
Delete double post..

Chuck Ellsworth
20th Sep 2010, 02:06
Wow where do you find these things I wrote CD?

Some would consider that comment to be slightly disgusting. :ok: :eek::E:E

Inverted2
21st Sep 2010, 12:11
First time poster on here, long time lurker. Avcanada was my forum of choice but as of late, the mods seem to be on a censorship/thread locking rampage, especially one called Widow. Now I know some can get a little stupid and carried away but its really becoming a bit "communist' over there! I find this forum has always been a bit more civilized and mature.:mad::oh:

dhc2widow
21st Sep 2010, 20:35
^^ Who are you calling a communist?

Oh, hey, Hi xsbank!!!

vv OMG someone else who doesn't like me :sad:

say what is that
21st Sep 2010, 20:58
Widow Hopefully you don't have mod status here and a even bigger hope they never give it to you.

There now this forum can be just like avcanada.

OldCanuckPilot
21st Sep 2010, 23:47
Widow Hopefully you don't have mod status here and a even bigger hope they never give it to you.

Oh, I do love how they let children post here. Tell me son, do you like cotton candy, or candied corn?

xsbank
22nd Sep 2010, 00:44
Widow does her thing at Avcanada (hi Sweety!) with integrity. If you have nothing nice to say, go away! Pilot Officer Prune will revoke your probation if you continue to be a dork. I will happily shop you.:=

North Shore
22nd Sep 2010, 01:48
I think this thread should really be re-named 'AvCanada on PPRUNE'...

OldCanuckPilot
22nd Sep 2010, 04:23
I think this thread should really be re-named 'AvCanada on PPRUNE'...

I think this thread should be renamed: How Canadian Pilots Embarrass Themselves All Over The Internet :ok:

Joker's Wild
22nd Sep 2010, 06:37
OCP

Well said! :D

Mechanic787
22nd Sep 2010, 06:55
All of which could be totally avoided if the contributors complied with one and only one simple principle: stick to the topic. Avoid the ad hominem attacks.

I remember reading somewhere about superior pilots being the ones who use superior knowledge and superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of their superior skill.