PDA

View Full Version : I hope I am not jumping the gun!

flightranger
12th Aug 2010, 08:05
I am going to sign up next month for my PPL and thought it would be a good idea to start up on some reading material …do you think it’s a good idea to just get the PPL Theory books (although I haven’t started) and start reading up and preparing myself for the exams?
My fellow guru’s … how do I approach this? I am looking at flying as a long term career … Although I am really excited and eager to start I want to start on the right foot and keep my focus, attention and enthusiasm at the right level and not crash!!!!:\

Fuji Abound
12th Aug 2010, 08:16
Yes. Get all the theory out of the way as soon as you can - it usually holds up most students at some point.

Parts of the theory will make more sense once you start flying but I wouldnt worry too much about that particularly as you intend to start flying so soon.

It is worth mentioning that you might just as well get the medical done as well just in case it reveals any issues. You cant solo without it.

The usual PPL theory books are fine and will enable you to pass the exams. If you are considering a commercial career and have the time and inclination you may want to read more widely around the subject but this will only come in use later in your career. Personally I wouldnt bother yet.

Good luck.

impulse9
12th Aug 2010, 08:33
I've just completed my NPPL in July...and looking back I >really< wish I had read "Stick and Rudder" by Wolfgang Langewiesche (ISBN 978-0-07-036240-6) at the start of my training.

The section on landing using perspective would've saved me a good 5 hours prior to going solo!

Genghis the Engineer
12th Aug 2010, 08:47
What Fuji said.

There are several alternative sets of books to choose from although personally I'd recommend the ones by Jeremy Pratt.

G

trident3A
12th Aug 2010, 08:53
It's certainly worth getting air law out of the way as soon as possible as not only is it the worst exam but you'll (usually) need it to go solo - as mentioned above, you should get your medical done before you commit to anything.

Where are you learning?

impulse9
12th Aug 2010, 08:56
I've just completed my NPPL in July...and looking back I >really< wish I had read "Stick and Rudder" by Wolfgang Langewiesche (ISBN 978-0-07-036240-6) at the start of my training.

The section on landing using perspective would've saved me a good 5 hours prior to going solo!

znww5
12th Aug 2010, 09:06
When you say that you are going to 'sign up' for your PPL, I hope that you aren't going to part with large sums of money by paying for an entire PPL course!

You will find numerous stories on this forum from people who paid large amounts of cash 'up front', only to find that the school went bust shortly after. If you must buy blocks of training, use a credit card because that protects your money if the training establishment fails - it takes a while to get it back, but at least you don't lose everything.

Good luck with your training, I'm sure that you will enjoy it . . . oh, and 'not crashing' is a very good skill to develop!

flightranger
12th Aug 2010, 09:58
Hey Mate,

Thanks for the advice! Looks like I need to get cracking with a Doctors appointment.

I have narrowed down on two schools/clubs
1. Surrey and Kent school of flying
2. EFG school of flying

I have not taken the leap of faith and paid up as yet only because I want to get a block payment option and some recommendation from fellow students or flyers from these school. Are you familiar with them?

Do you flying around in the local area?

TractorBoy
12th Aug 2010, 10:25
I have not taken the leap of faith and paid up as yet only because I want to get a block payment option and some recommendation from fellow students or flyers from these school. Are you familiar with them?

Be VERY careful if you're opting for a block payment option up-front. If the school goes belly-up you'll end up losing all your cash. Most people on here don't recommend them.

stevelup
12th Aug 2010, 10:45
If you do pay anything up front, make sure it is on a credit card and not any other kind of payment (cash / cheque / debit card).

If the worse does happen, you will be protected if you paid by credit card.

Fuji Abound
12th Aug 2010, 10:52
Looks like I need to get cracking with a Doctors appointment.

You probably know but for a PPL not just any old doctor will do. It must be a doctor that "does" CAA medicals and usually this is all they do - they arent on the whole found in your GP's surgery. Ask at the school and they will recommend someone.