PDA

View Full Version : Wing fold / remove non microlight

Chevytriker
26th Jul 2010, 18:18
I have a PPL(A) night and imc rating and am looking at aircraft for private ownership. I'm drawn to the wing fold microlights (kitfox etc) but they are day VFR only, so plane spotters, what options (if any) are out there for 2 / 2+2 seat, low fuel burn, preferably non-complex a/c that you can take home when you're done for the day / night / clouds?

Jan Olieslagers
26th Jul 2010, 18:24
Europa is trailerable.
Also the BD4 has a folding wing option.

shortstripper
26th Jul 2010, 19:18
There are very few non LAA/BMAA type permit aircraft that I can think of with wing folding capability. In fact the only ones I can think of that could legally (if not practically) fly IFR are all vintage types such as Moths!

SS

Them thar hills
26th Jul 2010, 20:26
Chev
You've more or less answered your own question. Much any aircraft that's a wing folder is day VFR. But you could fly on top of cloud if you have an IMC rating.
Someone recently did a wing-fold job on a Tiger Moth but it looked permanent to me .......:ouch: tth

KeesM
27th Jul 2010, 05:26
If I remember correctly the Bolkow Monsun had folding wings as an option.

Chevytriker
27th Jul 2010, 07:29
Cheers for the replys.

Oh well. Seems to me that the cheap thing is buying the plane; basing it at an airfield (plus the annuals) seems a small fortune - you can do a lot of renting for the same as just the fixed costs of aircraft ownership. As my instructor said, if it floats, flys or f:mad:, rent don't buy. But then I tend not to pay much attention to good advice, so 'a plane is born' DVD is on the way and there's space in the shed......:eek:

EDMJ
27th Jul 2010, 07:32
If I remember correctly the Bolkow Monsun had folding wings as an option.

Yes, but you need to remove (unscrew) a fairing on each wing first and undo further bolts in the wing structure as well. I sincerely doubt that they have been folded often, except for MBB press photos.

Doesn't the Remos GX (EASA PtF) have folding wings? It's predecessor, the G3/600, did.

Chevytriker
27th Jul 2010, 09:46
I know it's a microlight, but this looks exciting (Dyn Aero MCR01),

Dyn Aero MCR01 VLA (Sportster) (http://www.afors.com/index.php?page=adview&adid=15846&imid=0)

VP I know but bloomin' quick on not a lot of fuel, and wing removeable.

Anyone flown one?

Brooklands
27th Jul 2010, 15:17
I know it's a microlight, but this looks exciting (Dyn Aero MCR01),
Not necessarily. Rod1 will be along in a little while to enlighten you fully. While one variant of the MCR01 IS a microlight then other two variants are not - they are SEPs.

I'm also pretty certian that none of the varients of the Kitfox are microlights.

As the others have said there are very few certified types with folding/removable wings, nearly all of them are on permits and so not allowed to fly at night or in cloud.

Brooklands

gasax
27th Jul 2010, 17:28
A number of earlier Kitfoxes are microlights. But that is pretty irrelevant as to quote one of my friends who built a VLA Mk2 (they can also be microlights) - 'it was the worst aircraft I have ever flown'.

For folding wings and non-permit - a few vintage DeHavilland types just about cover it.

But there is an interesting contrast in IMC flying and folding wings and keeping it in the garage - hence the paucity of types. Decent IMC performance typical needs a certain amount of weight - my own 560kg aircraft might be theoretically IMC capable but it would be very hard work. Folding wings on anything much over a ton and you're looking at aircraft which may be ex-Fleet Air Arm!

I have a friend with a Glastar - a pretty big 2 seater with folding wings - he has never used them 'in anger'. The idea of trailing the aircraft home is a theoretical possibility - which again has never happened.

Genghis the Engineer
27th Jul 2010, 17:46
Most of the aeroplanes mentioned so far are light aircraft, but on permits so still can't be flown night/IMC.

The Italian SkyArrow might meet the bill, but is VLA, so still can't be flown night/IMC.

In short, I've no idea - but I don't think anybody else has either.

G

Rod1
27th Jul 2010, 18:22
The MCR 01 Sportster is an SEP, Most Kitfox aircraft are micros, as is the MCR01 ULM. None of which makes any difference to the problem as all are daytime VFR only. I notice you are midlands based, so if you want a ride in an MCR01 I can arrange it…

You can run an MCR for £4200 inc 100 hours flying, so if you spent the rest on renting you could do a lot of flying.

Rod1

tinpilot
27th Jul 2010, 19:42
Stemme S-10 VT (http://www.stemme.de/daten/e/index.html)

Two seats only, but it comes with an EASA CofA, has folding wings & can even be trailered.

You don't have to turn the engine off.

cjm_2010
29th Jul 2010, 12:33
The MCR 01 Sportster is an SEP, Most Kitfox aircraft are micros, as is the MCR01 ULM. None of which makes any difference to the problem as all are daytime VFR only. I notice you are midlands based, so if you want a ride in an MCR01 I can arrange it…

You can run an MCR for £4200 inc 100 hours flying, so if you spent the rest on renting you could do a lot of flying.

Rod1

the performance differences between these 'kit' aircraft and the ageing examples available for rent at training schools etc are simply staggering. 13 l/hr @ 120kts?

and storage for the trailer could be had for a fraction of hangarage prices.

looks like i've got something to save up for now :D

UL Power
29th Jul 2010, 23:34
Glastar has a neat wing fold like the Escapade.

Mark

gasax
30th Jul 2010, 07:26
Yes it is a neat wing fold - but...

You really need to make sure there is a minimum amount of fuel in the tanks - otherwise it is difficult to disengage / reengage the locking pins. If you do fold the wings with a significant fuel load the aircaft with sit on its tail due to the c of g movement. And if it sits on its tail the fuel vents overboard.

Putting an aircraft as large as a Glastar on a trailer has more than one or two challenges as well. It can be done but it is a big trailer and needs to provide additional support to the tail and wings - so it starts to look complicated.

In practice my friend has used a large flat bed trailer a total of once in the near 6 years he has had the aircraft - for the initial movement to the strip.

Mariner9
30th Jul 2010, 10:44
looks like i've got something to save up for now

CJM - you might not have to save up quite as much as you think :ok:

Check your PM's