PDA

View Full Version : Aerobatic Clearance

Liamoc123
15th Jul 2010, 22:52
Hey guys,
Just wondering if someone can explain this to me as I have no idea and am just a little curious...

When flying in controlled airspace and one wanted to perform aerobatics and just have some g-filled fun :cool: how would you go about requesting permission or are there strict rules or any CAA guidelines I can look at to explain a bit better?

Cheers

Liam

Mark 1
16th Jul 2010, 04:38
The only rule is rule 15. So just a request to the controlling unit.

I'd expect them to treat it no differently to a request for a VFR transit. i.e. to permit it unless traffic levels or controller workload suggests otherwise.

BackPacker
16th Jul 2010, 04:58
Agree with Mark. It's generally a non-issue but what you need to include in your request is a rough position and the altitude block you'll be using. Furthermore, be cooperative if they need that bit of airspace for something else (it's not controlled for nothing) and report when finished.

I regularly fly aerobatics in class E and although legally I'm not required to say anything, I treat the flight as a controlled flight. So I request permission to do aeros in their airspace, keep ATC updated on where and what I'm doing, work with them when they have IFR arrivals or departures through that airspace and so forth.

We have a very good understanding with ATC because of this and that regularly helps us in other places/situations.

Liamoc123
16th Jul 2010, 05:30
Ahh I see, not as complex as I had thought... just depending on where you're operating. :ok: Just another slightly related Q; What class airspace is Biggin Hill and I'm guessing no aerobatics anywhere near due to being so close to Heathrow and Gatwick and being a busy airfield itself?

Cheers Guys
Liam

Piper.Classique
16th Jul 2010, 05:45
What class airspace is Biggin Hill

I suggest you look on a map

stiknruda
16th Jul 2010, 07:16
7004 is your friend

aluminium persuader
16th Jul 2010, 09:59
Biggin is class G, but the whole area is very busy, esp the corridor between Heathrow & Gatwick zones, and base of CAS is low. Aeros near that could cause multiple TCAS RAs & general havoc! Probably further east &/or north?

NazgulAir
16th Jul 2010, 10:13
Once, flying a PA28 cross-country East-West through the "corridor" -- the space between LHR and LGW -- with London Info on the box, something small, fast and Ferrari-red that looked like a Falco shot up from underneath dead ahead of me just outside a distance that I would call a near miss.
Had he seen me at all before starting his manoever? I was above and behind, maybe the worst place to be conspicuous. But still... the corridor is a very busy place. If you absolutely must block it with an aerobatics box, it's not the cleverest idea to keep radio silence about it.

MichaelJP59
16th Jul 2010, 12:35
Re. Biggin airspace, I was watching that new NATS video about flying around that area and couldn't help but wonder how Kenley manages to offer sensible gliding facilities in such a constrained zone?

Liamoc123
16th Jul 2010, 16:18
I suggest you look on a map

If I had one I would

Cheers for the replys guys

thing
16th Jul 2010, 18:12
I remember when we sold a K7 to a couple of guys from (I think) Kenley. They came up to Newark to test fly it and it was a glorious day. They kept asking us if it was OK to thermal above 2,000.......

If I remember correctly the Cadet Force gliders at RAF Sealand were limited to 2,000 due to proximity to Speke. Or John Lennon I should say. Mind you they flew barges, I would imagine 2,000 feet in one of those would be a champagne popping event.