PDA

View Full Version : FlymapLD

stickandrudderman
28th Jun 2010, 22:34
Looks like a nice piece of kit. Anyone got any comments based on first hand experience?

Genghis the Engineer
29th Jun 2010, 07:10
I don't know if they've changed the software much, but I made the error of buying a GPS PDA with pocket flymap some years ago, and have been very unimpressed.

The user interface is often counter intuitive with some significant bugs (such as the failure to consistently find the nearest airfield) and the linkage with flymap win (the packaged PC planning package) is erratic at best.

The availability of chart updates was very poor, although I understand that the new supplier have sorted that.

G

Stik
30th Jun 2010, 16:31
Expensive when compared to other offerings. If price not a huge concern, you should be looking at the Garmin G3X first.

stickandrudderman
30th Jun 2010, 19:08
Thanks for the replies.
I'm struggling to find anyone who can give me clear and unbiased data (layman's) on the pros and cons of the various devices available.
The Flymap LD appeals because:
It's european, not american, so with the exception of Garmin perhaps, I'm more confident that the design is more aligned with the european LAA flight envelope and I'm likely to get more immediate support in the event of a problem.
Build quality seems good.
It has dual screens and therefore built in redundancy (AIUI)
It's light. (2.7kg)
It's bright.
Dimensions are in keeping with the remit.
It has a touch screen. (This may actually be a disadvantage in years to come once the screen is old I suppose)
I quite like the USB port instead of a data card port, I don't really know why.
It can incorporate just about all of the functions I desire in the one unit, including AOA and turn and slip, not to mention the moving map (with european data)
I'm not really bothered by synthetic vision, I have windows in my aeroplane....
probably lots of other things I should consider....:confused:

First_Principal
1st Jul 2010, 10:41
I'm not really bothered by synthetic vision, I have windows in my aeroplane....

:eek: What!! I wouldn't brag about that, what if it crashes, or you get the blue screen of death or something :uhoh:

:E

P.