PDA

View Full Version : Which aircraft (not) to fly for tall persons?

jkveenstra
27th Jun 2010, 19:45
Since today I only flew C172's. Today I was at the Aero expo in Wycombe and sat in a Da-40 for the first time. I always wanted to fly in one. Unfortulately I didn't fit, since I am to tall for the aircraft. I was very disappointed.

Which aircraft can I (not) fly? My lenght is 1.91m (6 feet, 3 inch; which is not out of the ordinary in the Netherlands).

Thanks for your help.

ChampChump
27th Jun 2010, 20:19
You will get in a Rans S6; it was designed by a very tall chap in America. Whiskey Kilo Wanderer may be along soon to confirm that.

:ok:

Rod1
27th Jun 2010, 21:08
You will get on an MCR01.

Seat and pedals adjust.

Rod1

Gertrude the Wombat
27th Jun 2010, 21:15
1m92 - other Cessnas fit as well, including 152 and 206/207.

Flew a PA28 for an hour once upon a long time ago, don't remember any height problem.

Also didn't have a problem sitting in a PA12 - the difficulty was getting into it in a hurry whilst it was drifting away from the jetty towards something expensive, and getting out of it in a hurry when approaching the jetty again. Someone shorter would have had less folding and unfolding and complicated real-time 3D mental arithmetic to do.

And there's plenty of room in a Beaver.

AdamFrisch
27th Jun 2010, 21:46
And there's plenty of room in a Beaver.

It took considerable refrain on my part for not running with this in the lowest of low ways.:}:):mad:

Carbon Cristal
27th Jun 2010, 22:35
The TB's are very good, there is loads of space in them. I have been told that the CTSW is very good. I am tall but also wide!

eharding
27th Jun 2010, 23:01
Which aircraft can I (not) fly?

In the "NOT" category, I suspect the DH Heron or Dove would be out of the question - I remember trying to wedge myself into the left-hand seat of a Heron, it appeared to have been designed for munchkins - I then looked round, to see The Gorrilla (simian of this parish) with his shoulders wedged in the door to the flight deck - getting into the seat wasn't going to be a problem for him, because he couldn't even make it onto the flight deck.

My lenght is 1.91m (6 feet, 3 inch; which is not out of the ordinary in the Netherlands).

Is this genetic? - those with heads the highest above mean sea level (always a factor in the Netherlands) have an additional innate advantage of those of a more stumpy disposition?

chopper.al
27th Jun 2010, 23:28
I'm 6 foot 6 tall and I learned to fly in a Robinson R22 but I have since got my rating in the R44 which is alot more roomy. The 22 was quite a tight fit but for some reason I didn't find it to be a problem I even had an instructor who was about 6'2 and we both used to get into the R22 and someone else had to put a ratchet strap around the doors to stop us from bursting out of it. :)

FleetFlyer
28th Jun 2010, 08:14
Don't go for a Jabiru. I'm 5'10 and only just fit.

Dannyboyblue
28th Jun 2010, 09:02
Im 6'3" and PA28's are just fine, i have flown almost all the variants, T67C slingsby and surprisingly the DA20 were both ok, you do sometimes clatter the stick on your knees.

One i was hugely surprised about was the new PA32, Shiny glass cockpit, roomy rear passenger area, i cant fly it because im too big. Well ok yes i could fly it but i couldnt get my heels on the floor so it was the choice of rudder OR Diff brakes. There was a stupid armrest built into the cabin which pushes my knee into the yoke and my head was always at a sideways angle. Very dissapointed.

DBB

Genghis the Engineer
28th Jun 2010, 10:11
BIGFLYINGROB is much taller than you, and fits into his Auster easily.

When I used to have a PA28 share, tall people never seemed to struggle.

In the microlight world, most aeroplanes are reasonably tall-person-friendly, but you could for example try a Sky Ranger for a nice to fly big cockpit.

(Me, I use a booster cushion in most aeroplanes :* )

G

Whirlybird
28th Jun 2010, 10:53
And me, I use a booster cushion (or two) in all aeroplanes. :{

But there are some helicopters, including oldish ones like the Alouette and Gazelle, which have movable pedals and seats and adjust for all sizes of people. They're wonderful! But why can't all aircraft do it?

rich_g85
28th Jun 2010, 11:31
I'm 6'4" and have no issues in the PA-28...unless I have my seat too far forward and I have to lean back to read the heading on the DI :)

BackPacker
28th Jun 2010, 12:16
Robin DR400s are OK for length, but the seat doesn't just slide back but also rotates backwards at its furthest aft setting. This leads to a very uncomfortable seating position when you're 1.86m (like I am) or taller. It's OK for legs up to two hours, but no longer than that.

In contrast, I find the DA40 very comfortable for my length. Have to adjust the rudder pedals to the most forward setting of course, but there's plenty space then. At least five cm above my head so I don't know why you didn't fit.

The DA40 does have the problem with the stick being up there in your crotch, plus the rather substantial center console, so there's not a lot of room for kneeboards and stuff. You really have to organize all your paperwork far better than in, say, a PA28 where you can spread it all out in your lap.

KeesM
28th Jun 2010, 13:42
For not fitting a Bolkow Junior.
A 150/152 should do, I'm 1.88m and fit in a 150.

Whopity
28th Jun 2010, 14:49
As someone who has always had height problems in aircraft your overall height is not the issue. People are proportioned differently. Two people of 6ft 3 inches could have a range of sitting heights that vary by as much as 5 inches. Lets face it we don't buy trousers based on our height, we use leg length. Seating is a function of back length.

You will find that you can get into more aircraft than you think, but it may not be comfortable for a long period. The most important issue is can you get free control movement and can you get out if you have to. The DA20 has more headroom than a DA40 or 42 probably because it has cheaper (thinner) seats. When the seat raising mechanism on a PA28 fails it is frequently rigged in the up position making it impossible for some of us to get in!

You will just have to try it and see as cockpit designers are not renowned for their ergonomic prowess.

Katamarino
28th Jun 2010, 15:18
I'm only 6' and I had a very uncomfortable time in a DR400-120 yesterday! Even with the seat all the way back and starting to tip backwards (which is a rather weird and uncomfortable design) my legs were a little cramped.

I have had no trouble in any Cessnas or Pipers so far, and the Robin 2160 has been fine too. Grob 115, T67C, all ok!

jkveenstra
28th Jun 2010, 19:20
Thanks for all the replies! :ok:

People are proportioned differently.

That is true. A friend of mine (approx. same height), fitted much better in the DA-40. It was still not very good.

What about the Cirrus SR20/SR22?

Greg2041
28th Jun 2010, 22:08
As the question relates to which aircraft not to fly, avoid Cessna 150s unless you want cramp!

:ouch:

Greg

Whopity
29th Jun 2010, 07:31
What about the Cirrus SR20/SR22?I have been instructing on this aircraft and I would say its about the same as a DA40. Both are like an average saloon car. My head is 2 inches above the roof line so some juggling is required. Never had any trouble in a 150 though!Even with the seat all the way back and starting to tip backwards (which is a rather weird and uncomfortable design)Welcome to Napoleonic aircraft!

Phoenix09
29th Jun 2010, 19:37
I'm 6'5" and have no problems in the Cirrus but do find it very uncomfortable in the DA-40.

At the Aero Expo I tried the new Piper Sports Cruiser which has a very easy method of adjusting the rudder pedals. Headroom was OK but won't be so good with a headset or in turbulence!

TWR
29th Jun 2010, 20:06
6'7"; impossible to get in a Diamond. No problem with the Cirrus.

jaycee58
1st Jul 2010, 20:19
5' 9" and I couldn't fit in a Pulsar XP.

Unusual Attitude
2nd Jul 2010, 10:53
"As the question relates to which aircraft not to fly, avoid Cessna 150s unless you want cramp!"

Pah, you dont know anything about cramp unless your 6'3" and have flown a Tipsy Nipper from Yeovilton to Perth in one day, had to loosen the straps and do the last 100 or so miles side saddle swapping cheeks every 10 mins as I kept losing the feeling in my legs!! Never again.....

jkveenstra
5th Jul 2010, 22:01
Just to summarize. (I put the lenght of the person who commented between brackets, if available)

No GO
DH Heron or Dove
Diamond DA40 (6 foot 3')
Jaribu
PA32 (6 foot 3)
Bolkow Junior
Pulsar XP (5 foot 9)
C150
Tipsy Nipper (6 foot 3)

GO
Rans S6
MCR01
C152 (1.92m)
C207/207 (1.92m)
Beaver
Pa28 (6 foot 3)
PA12
TB9/10/20
R22 (6 foot 6)
R44 (6 foot 6)
T67C slingsby (6 foot 3)
Auster
Robin DR400
Robin 2160 (6 foot)
Grob 115 (6 foot)
Cirus SR20/22 (6 foot 5)
Piper Sports Cruiser (6 foot 5)

As commented before, fitting in hte aircraft is also dependent on the proportions of the person. This shouldn't keep you off trying the particular A/C

Unusual Attitude
6th Jul 2010, 12:36
Tipsy Nipper is indeed a GO if your 6' 3" (only with tall pilot mods) however I wouldnt recommend a long trip in it !! I normally do 30-60min max trips and regular aeros which are not a problem...