PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Jersey

Mariner9
22nd Jun 2001, 16:10
I'm planning a flight to Jersey from Cardiff this weekend. It'll be the 1st time I've crossed the Channel, any hints/advice would be most welcome!

Yogi-Bear
22nd Jun 2001, 16:29
Cheeeep landing and fuel if you ask TWR to go to the Aero Club. Charles Strasser will be delighted to welcome you!

JuicyLucy
23rd Jun 2001, 00:23
Have a plog handy - London Info will ask for estimates for 50 North (at least).
Be careful!! wear life jackets, be prepared for poor vis/horizon over the sea and believe the DI / AI.Have a diversion plan - it was CAVOK at Jersey and Guernsey today but Alderney went foggy. Be aware of the VFR routes in/out of the Jersey Zone and expect to use them.
If in doubt about anything in or close to the Zone ask ATC - they are very good at Jersey and used to inexperienced cross channellers, but not mind readers...

Enjoy

The Flying I
23rd Jun 2001, 02:33
Enjoy! But remember if the haze brings reported vis down to less than 10km, the SVFR clearance across the Class A is illegal unless you have an IMC or IR (or CPL)
You don't need a passport for Jersey, but if you do have one, take it anyway for a diversion to Cherbourg should vis drop below 10 (unless you have an IMC). Why turn back when you can land in Cherbourg instead.

M.Mouse
23rd Jun 2001, 13:03
As has been said take and wear your life jackets. Take and have easily accessible a serviceable liferaft.

I know somebody that ditched a PA28 successfully was wearing a lifejacket but the liferaft failed to inflate. He was rescued after less than 30 minutes but the cold was apparently awful.

A rare event but as in all things flying preparation is all.

I also agree that good planning for an alternate is a wise precaution.

With all that in mind have a good trip, it is well worth the effort.

eyeinthesky
23rd Jun 2001, 16:36
Agree with all of the above and would also remind you that fuel is cheaper there and you get drawback from the UK. The end of the following thread has details.

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum53/HTML/000585.html

Sunday Lunch at the new Aeroclub very good and a bargain: £9.00 for three courses.

Good luck!

------------------
"Take-off is optional, Landing is mandatory"

Mariner9
25th Jun 2001, 14:10
Thanks for the advice guys, the flight went well & was thoroughly enjoyable. I wish I'd taken a higher factor suntan lotion with me though!