PDA

View Full Version : The hard part of flying.

JoeDavies
30th May 2010, 11:08
Recently I have passed my skills test at the age of 17. I'm still studying for my A-levels. But the hard part of flying is how to afford it. Ive got a Saturday job working in a restaurant, and I am wondering whether anybody could help me with any Ideas of getting cheaper hours, without joining groups having to put thousands of pounds up front. Any Ideas?
Thanks Joe.

Pull what
30th May 2010, 11:19
Joe, well done, when I was building hours I ensured by careful research that I flew the cheapest aircraft possible. Then I parked my caravan on that airfield and lived on £2 per week!

JoeDavies
30th May 2010, 13:07
Thanks for your fast reply, Doesn't sound like a good Idea. I'm currently based at sleap airfield. Really I am looking to be flying at least once every 2 weeks. Is there anyway I could find cheap hours? I would look into group but the joining fee is just too much.
Kind regards, Joe:}

The500man
30th May 2010, 13:31
I'm in a similar situation as you. The options I've found so far are non-equity groups, (where you pay a monthly fee for insurance/ parking/ maintenance etc. and then between £50 - £100 per hour, depending on the aircraft) lease hire (check big red kite, £45 per hour dry for a 152), and going abroad.

Maybe your best bet would be to save up and take a few holidays a year to places where you can hire cheaply. It depends on how often you would like to fly. Otherwise maybe check if there are any local non-equity groups available.

Pilot DAR
30th May 2010, 14:11
Let me try this again (the first time was deleted, though I don't know why)

Flying instruction involves the use of commercially registered aircraft, and people whom you have to pay. There really is not much of a way around that.

Like many pilots who have gone before, I could not afford to fly much either. I hung around the airfield and offered to do any odd or otherwise undesireable job, for flying. Though riding along with someone else, probably won't enable logging hours, you do get the experience and exposure to other pilots and owners. This has the potential to get you into aircraft types you just can't rent. With this experience, you'll be much farther ahead when you get your license.

I spent a lot of my early days wet on my back, washing the bellys of four Aztecs and a C310. Over time, and in return, I got my multi rating, and type endorsements on those aircraft. I progressed to some time in a Cheyenne, but they had people to wash that!

I was recalling those days, as I lay on my back last night, scrubbing the belly of my plane. I was wondering, where are the keeners, who would ask if they could wash and wax my plane, in return for some flying. I'd happily take them in my clean plane!

Owners love to talk about their planes, warm them up with some conversation. You have lots you could gain, and very little to lose....

Be charming, proactive, and patient.

JoeDavies
30th May 2010, 14:30
Thanks, for your suggestions. I have had a look at big red kite, which looks very interesting. But I certainly do need to keep an eye out around the club. So far all I got is taking a C152 out for an hour and going 50/50 on it with a friend. ANy more suggestions.
Cheers Joe.:8

aluminium persuader
30th May 2010, 14:40
Motor-gliders. I think T61s are fairly popular, though you'd want to check that whatever you use ticks the right boxes regarding cat & hours.

ab33t
30th May 2010, 15:15
You need to do a tour of all the popular airfields as many of the cheaper otions are not advertised but can either be found on the boards or by word of mouth . As said above saving up and buying block hrs over seas is(was) by far the cheapest

Put1992
30th May 2010, 16:08
I got my PPL at 17, Part time job at sainsbury's, got around £245 a month from that, excluding overtime, Was enough to cover 2 hours over 4 weeks at my club, but restricted me from doing much else with my time which got frustrating after a while considering the amount of hours I was putting in for work, so was regularly running to the bank of mum and dad.

Frustrating stuff!

Cheers, Put

Lew747
30th May 2010, 18:42
I'm in the same situation as you Joe. I'm finding it very frustrating and am thinking of having a word down my club to ask if they will do a significant block-hour reduction as i'm trying to gain the 150 hours required to start the CPL. Does anyone know of any non-equity groups in the South-East region or any aircraft that fall under £95/hr? Would like to have a serious chat!

Lewis :ok:

JoeDavies
30th May 2010, 20:15
Glad to hear that I'm not the only one. Seems like a some sort of group should be created for people like us. Would be handy.
Joe;)

toolowtoofast
30th May 2010, 20:31
Let me try this again (the first time was deleted, though I don't know why)

Flying instruction involves the use of commercially registered aircraft, and people whom you have to pay. There really is not much of a way around that.

Like many pilots who have gone before, I could not afford to fly much either. I hung around the airfield and offered to do any odd or otherwise undesireable job, for flying. Though riding along with someone else, probably won't enable logging hours, you do get the experience and exposure to other pilots and owners. This has the potential to get you into aircraft types you just can't rent. With this experience, you'll be much farther ahead when you get your license.

I spent a lot of my early days wet on my back, washing the bellys of four Aztecs and a C310. Over time, and in return, I got my multi rating, and type endorsements on those aircraft. I progressed to some time in a Cheyenne, but they had people to wash that!

I was recalling those days, as I lay on my back last night, scrubbing the belly of my plane. I was wondering, where are the keeners, who would ask if they could wash and wax my plane, in return for some flying. I'd happily take them in my clean plane!

Owners love to talk about their planes, warm them up with some conversation. You have lots you could gain, and very little to lose....

Be charming, proactive, and patient.

unfortunately, the bulk of new PPL students who aspire to be pilots can only see the shiny jet at the end. washing aeroplanes and sweeping hangar floors are way below them.

some should watch Ice Pilots and see what traditional obtaining of flying skills and attitudes is all about - Buffalo Joe might be a hard man, but I'd suggest if one of his pilots turned up across the CV desk, they would be very seriously in contention.

The Dead Side
30th May 2010, 20:33
Joe,

I was in exactly the same position as you about a year back. I went around all the local airfields scouting out odd jobs for free flying, and even asked to tow gliders (unsurprisingly they wanted more experience!); you don't ask, you don't get :-P

Eventually I stumbled across a fantastic value for money syndicate. Not advertised anywhere, but just came up in conversation. So happened I talked to the right person at the right time, and we exchanged certificates. So now, I'm flying a Cherokee for £35/hour dry, with a £30 monthly fee.

I'm working for every minute I fly, but I'd rather spend the money on flying than alcohol and any other expensive teenage whims!

I'm not sure to what extent you have been asking around, but throughout this thread there is strong advice to speak to whoever you can. I strongly advise you to do so, and you'll be pleasantly surprised how many people are willing to offer you advice and opportunities, in exchange for simple manners and as Pilot DAR says, charm.

Dead Side.

JoeDavies
30th May 2010, 20:44
Ahaaa you see toolowtoofast, I have been at my airfields asking for jobs, but there is already a member there who does all of the washing of the club aircraft and owners. Otherwise I would have jumped on it! I have also been watching Ice pilots recently, Incredibly interesting and I believe, that sort of flying we be amazing. At the end of the day I just want to be flying.:ok:

And for The dead Side, I've had a good look around my club, but I don't particularly intend to leave due to it being like a family. I fit in there, know all the members because I spend most of my weekends down there. Who knows.

Once again thanks for your Ideas, Joe:}

Gertrude the Wombat
30th May 2010, 21:53
Recently I have passed my skills test at the age of 17
Aren't you lucky to be so rich. Many of us were into our thirties or forties before we could begin to dream of being able to afford to fly.

Fly-by-Wife
31st May 2010, 11:07
Joe, don't let people like Gertrude get you down. There's rude and begrudging people in every walk of life, and aviation is no exception.

Envy and jealousy are unpleasant characteristics.

FBW

JoeDavies
31st May 2010, 12:00
Ahhh, don't worry I'm used to it, usual PPRuNE talk unfortuanly.
Oh, and please keep coming up with Ideas.

Cheers Joe:ok:

Peter Fanelli
31st May 2010, 12:12
Joe, don't let people like Gertrude get you down. There's rude and begrudging people in every walk of life, and aviation is no exception.

And there's a whole bunch of Y generation w@nkers who demand everything right now and dismiss every idea that's put to them.

And they wonder why the older generation has little time for them.

JoeDavies
31st May 2010, 12:30
:eek:Really? Did you need to say that, all I'm asking for is a bit more help from people who have more experience than me. Can we please just stick to the topic.

Pilot DAR
31st May 2010, 12:42
A bit of thread drift (sorry Joe),

Having just done PPL groundschool a second time, 33 years, and 6000 hours later, I am stunned at the amount that there is to know about flying light aircraft (let alone jets), which just cannot be taught. The major reason for not teaching is obviously the total classroom time available - the course just cannot be able to take 300 hours. But, I also wonder how many groundschool instructors would not be able to teach the broader content if they had to (or correctly answer the odd question which was at the periphery of the core content).

Which takes me 'round to: students who aspire to be pilots can only see the shiny jet at the end

Unfortunately, yes.

Every job done well, involves starting at the beginning, laying a good foundation, and understanding the peripherals beyond the core task. Sweeping hanger floors, washing planes, pumping gas, and otherwise getting you hands dirty on non-flying tasks are all a part of this. Not so much because you need to know how to do them, but so those who can influence your future know that you can do them, and are willing.

So how does this relate to "the hard part of flying? The hard part is not only paying for it, but finding a path forward, which will carry you away from having to pay for it, as early in your career as possible.

Our industry's problem is that we're getting to the stage where many of those who are making the pilot hiring decisions, have themselves, never washed a plane, or swept a floor (even their own mess!).

So it's up to the new pilots to roll up their sleeves, andseek out the "hart work, to assure they have a good foundation. To prevent total thread drift, I will continue this in the "Attitudes vs Experience" thread, where it probably belongs.... Sorry Joe, new ideas...

JoeDavies
31st May 2010, 12:49
Very fair statement, and I think your right. :) Unfortunately though at my club, all of these jobs have been taken. Mowing the apron, Fire service, Valet services! Unfortunately they are all there.

Kind regards, Joe :O

sternone
31st May 2010, 12:59
The easiest way is : Start a business, earn money and buy your own plane.. enjoy life!

All other ways will leave you frustrated at the end.

Pilot DAR
31st May 2010, 13:44
Hey Joe,

It's looking to me like you should hook up with Sternone. It sounds like he started a business, earned money, and now has a Twin Comanche, and King Air. They get dirty!

JoeDavies
31st May 2010, 13:48
:ok: Haha, Ill pop down to brussels every day.

FREDAcheck
31st May 2010, 15:09
Well I hope Gertrude didn't mean to be rude, but it's a fair point: you are lucky to be able to learn to fly while still fairly young. That's not dig: good luck to you! So don't be disheartened if you can't afford all the flying you'd like. As others say, if you're determined and single minded, you'll find ways.

And I'm sure you'll avoid the hazard of some single-minded flyers: to be so narrow that one can get a bit, shall we say, uninteresting to normal mortals. My wife's favourite joke about pilots: How can you tell when you're half way through your first date with a pilot? He says: "Enough about me, let's talk about flying".

JoeDavies
31st May 2010, 16:32
Yeah, I am incredbly lucky to have a PPL at this age. I need more experience now. And I have already found out how uninteresting flying can be when me friends in school explained to me. Thanks Joe :}

Gertrude the Wombat
31st May 2010, 18:05
Well I hope Gertrude didn't mean to be rude
No, I didn't.

It's possible I might have slipped into parent mode :) - I do from time to time feel the need to give my teenagers some information about what the real world is like. Most of the real world not being anything like they're used to, as we've got more money than most.

tmmorris
31st May 2010, 19:45
Do you have any connection with the RAF? (Any at all... family? are you a cadet?)

If so PM me with your location... there are some excellent RAFFCA clubs where the rates are a bit cheaper...

Tim

JoeDavies
31st May 2010, 20:19
Unfortunately not, My granddad was an RAF Engineers if that counts......Doubt it will though.:hmm:

Thanks once again, Joe

JoeDavies
1st Jun 2010, 09:36
Ahhhhh thanks for that. I live about an hour away from Tilstock the parachuting base. They have a Gippsland Airvan, may see if they need any voluntary work. :8

Joe

Pull what
1st Jun 2010, 11:35
Joe- i can assure you that Gertude wasnt being rude but you are very lucky to be at the position you are in at 17, the positive side of this is you have plenty of time even if it becomes a finacial struggle. I had a receptionist (17 -19 years age) that worked for me once that built his hours up by using two weeks dole money to buy an hours flying, sadly he endeded up impaled into a mountain flying below safety altitiude while doing a dubious charter flight to build up hours- he undertook a flight outside of his ability while trying to build up hours- so be careful!

JoeDavies
1st Jun 2010, 23:35
Ohhh no offence taken :ok:. I just want to concentrate on the thread. I guess when building hours I don't want to go too far out of my depth. Stick to the hour building on the 152's. :)
Joe

mad_jock
2nd Jun 2010, 08:47
Have you had a look at the various grants you can get out there.

Air league
GALPAN

etc

Put1992
2nd Jun 2010, 12:31
unfortunately, the bulk of new PPL students who aspire to be pilots can only see the shiny jet at the endVery true, as you wont get very far in the pursuit of that jet without a PPL.

Slight generalisation though, at no point through my PPL training did I have it easy financially, and with the work I had to put in to even get to the airport. It's alright saying "Get a job sweeping hangar floors, washing aircraft etc etc" but that will not pay for a PPL, nor to maintain one. It may have back in the good old days, but not now. If it means working somewhere externally to pay for the hours, but having to put up with the rather ironic flying club snobbery of people pointing their noses up at young people learning to fly, then so be it.

But what do I know, I'm just a young kid with a poo brown book

Cheers, Put :ok:

Falz
2nd Jun 2010, 13:41
Hi Joe,

I know a lot of people are offering the "go around and ask" at the clubs/pilots/syndacates route but as you'll find out most of them have already been mined dry.

The other option is too look into getting more money. I know people here may jump down my throat but if you can swim have a look at getting your NPLQ (lifeguarding) qualification. On average you are looking closer to £7.00 an hour as opposed to bar work which is around £6.00. Also with the better hours you'll do in the swimming pool, ok you'll lose some weekends but a little bit of planning will leave you loads of time to fly, you should also have time to look at doing your swimming teaching qualification which can be around £10.00 an hour.

And that's more than some instructors make!

Anyway you include extra time and paid holidays with lifegaurding (or something similar) then you may be able to afford three houurs of flying a month as opposed to two.

Good Luck

Whirlybird
2nd Jun 2010, 17:50
Things may have changed, but when I flew from Sleap you couldl help out with the A/G radio and get paid in flying time. Have you tried that? Good experience too.

Hannah222
2nd Jun 2010, 18:57
Hi Whirlybird. I'm 14 and am really eager to have flying lessons but like everyone we don't have the money. When you say Sleap, do you mean the one in Shropshire and if so, is there an age limit for the job you mentioned? Also, what does paid in flying time mean? I know this doesn't really help Joe's search but at least he's old enough to get a job unlike me so that could maybe cheer you up haha x

Gertrude the Wombat
2nd Jun 2010, 19:50
Also, what does paid in flying time mean?
Well, one can guess by doing the sums.

If you're an adult minimum wage is around £5/hour (I think for 14yos there's no minimum, but it would seem reasonable to pay around the same if you get the same standard of work from a kid, I know people round here who do). Flying is around £150/hour (all very round approximate numbers these). So that would suggest that one hour's work might buy you around two minutes flying time, or work nearly full time for a week for one hour's flying.

But ... "paid in flying time" does sort of suggest some sort of "oh dear what a pity I accidentally seem to have forgotten to tell the tax man about this arrangement" sort of deal, so if you were otherwise on 40% tax (unlikely of course if you're earning minimum wage) and going to pay VAT on the flying that'd take it up to around four minutes flying per hour's work.

So, slog your guts out all weekend and get half an hour flying (which means twenty minutes in the air and ten minutes pissing around on the ground), assuming you're actually supposed to be at school during the week. That'd sound like a good deal to some people, actually; less fine perhaps for others.

JoeDavies
2nd Jun 2010, 20:18
To Whirlybird, I was down on the list for the A/G but I was pulled out at the last minute because I was too young to do the training. Which I think is a new rule or they have tightend up on stuff like that.

As for Hannah222, if you give sleap a call 01939232882 they will tell you all about the costs. I know someone who paid for they're lessons through a paper round and had one 1 hour flight every 3 months or so. I'm sure if you call them up they will help you.

Cheers Joe:ok:

Hannah222
2nd Jun 2010, 21:29
So what you're saying is that it's basically impossible to get enough money because I'm bound to be too young for that a/g? Thing and because of the minimum wage I won't be ableto make enough money for lessons. Also I looked up directions and it's about 20 miles away so Im going to have to get mum or dad to drive me which they're not going to want to do. They've still not said yes to lessons yet- I'm hoping they will let me for my birthday then I can talk to the people there about doing some odd jobs. It would show mum I really want to do it I guess. Thanks for explaining things though. X

mad_jock
2nd Jun 2010, 21:41
Hannah your 14 years old calm down to a panic !!!!!!

Go and find out about your local air training cadets there is a chance of getting 10 hours flying with them.

Airleague again there are grants and very good ones at that.

There gliding scholerships with the Navy and RAF.

The Guild of Professional pilots and Navigators also have fund grants etc.

And I take it as well you are female so The Womens Pilot Association also have grants. Whirly bird will be able to point you in thier direction

She will also give you advice on how to deal with sexist male pigs of pilots ;-)

Good luck I hope you get to where you want to be..

funfly
2nd Jun 2010, 22:11
Joe, have you thought about 3 axis microlights. They won't help build hours but will give you some lovely flying experiences. I had some of my best flying with my first X-Air (remember the flying windsock at Sleap) Twas me!
Posher aircraft to follow but the X-Air was most fun even if too chilly for wife ;)
You could even have a word with Ray at Chirk or theres a chap at Stafford.
Holiday in Portugal with Gerry Breen and fly with him, combine holiday and fun.
Lots cheaper

JoeDavies
3rd Jun 2010, 10:25
Ahhh yes, I've flown with Nick stokes in his foxbat. Good fun to fly and possibly cheaper per hour, I'll have to look up on that one!

And as for Hannah222, Mad Jock is absolutely correct. Around this time of year the RAF gliding scholorships go ahead, you can apply in the winter time. You have to be 16 year old. More than likely you will be in a TMG. There not to hard to get, I got one, Brilliant experience, lots of free flying. I would definatly look into it. I wouldnt start ploughing loads of money into flying lessons just yet, as your only 14 and you may realise you don't like it ( which I doubt is the case).

Cheers, Joe

Hannah222
3rd Jun 2010, 15:11
ok, well i've been googling a lot of stuff and the flying sounds so good and yes i think i'm wanting to be a commercial pilot. I know it costs a load of money so I'm going to have a trial lesson (hopefully) but does anyone know wether there is a waiting list or if you can just book it as it's my b'day soon. I've read lots about young people more likely to get a scholarship and funding so that's sorta the reason why I want to start soon. I considered joining air cadets but I don't like what the army or RAF does so I don't want to join- even though it could help with flying. A lot of the grants and things I've seen need you to live in a certain place or be over 17 so I'd have to wait. One I have found 'The Glen Stewart Flying Scholarship' is for people over 15 so that would be good. Does anyone know anyone who's got a scholarship for something and if they have how hard are they to get? I was also wandering, besides being a commercial pilot, what other job could a pilot get? x

Gertrude the Wombat
3rd Jun 2010, 17:05
I'm going to have a trial lesson (hopefully) but does anyone know wether there is a waiting list or if you can just book it
I would expect most flying schools to have a trial lesson available at a few days' notice. Don't be surprised if the first couple of attempts are cancelled due to the weather, even if it looks like good weather to you on the ground.

Poose
4th Jun 2010, 16:01
Joe/Hannah,

My advice... go to your local University. Live at home, work part-time. Use all of the cheap credit available as a student to fund your flying while studying for a decent, relevant degree which will help you pay for your CPL & IR after you graduate and give you a decent job if you finish your training in a downturn.

Fly at least once month, never lose currency and slowly build up your hours over the years. You've got bags of time. Try and get your hands on as much free flying as possible - GAPAN, Air League, etc.

PM me if you like.
I fly into Sleap a lot. Might have even seen you around! :ok:

tggzzz
6th Jun 2010, 17:47
So, slog your guts out all weekend and get half an hour flying (which means twenty minutes in the air and ten minutes pissing around on the ground),With gliding it would be much more time in the air for the money, but also a lot more time messing around on the ground :)

tmmorris
6th Jun 2010, 18:20
I considered joining air cadets but I don't like what the army or RAF does

Hannah,

You need to think about that one carefully. Pacifism is a possible view of the world but it is a hard line to take. You don't have to agree with every war the politicians get us involved in - I don't think many of the army or RAF were that keen on Iraq, for example - but it's a bold step to say that we shouldn't therefore have armed forces at all.

I'm sure you've thought about it already - but get to know a bit more about them before making that judgment. Perhaps even go along to the Air Cadets for a couple of taster evenings? It's not all that military, anyway...

Tim

BEagle
6th Jun 2010, 19:07
I considered joining air cadets but I don't like what the army or RAF does....

Perhaps because you don't really know what the 'army or RAF' in fact actually 'does'?

FREDAcheck
6th Jun 2010, 19:18
Bit patronising, some of those comments. Just because Hannah says she doesn't like what the Army or RAF does doesn't imply she doesn't know what they do, nor does it imply she's a pacifist.

By the way, I'm not a lawyer, but does pacifism disqualify one legally or morally from flying?

Hannah222
6th Jun 2010, 20:22
This is off the point completely but yes I do know what the army does. My brother spent a year in Iraq and he's lost countless friends and I don't see how anything else the army does can equal the fact that they do go to war and kill people.
Poose, you said to get a decent relevant degree but what would that be- something to do with physics or maths? Because they're not really my favourite subjects even though I'm quite good at them. Lol also you said you fly to Sleap a lot do you think it's a good airfield because I really wouldn't know even if I went! X

Pull what
7th Jun 2010, 08:48
Perhaps because you don't really know what the 'army or RAF' in fact actually 'does'?The RAF turns out some very arrogant superior pilots-am I close?

chrisN
7th Jun 2010, 09:30
With regard to Hannah's question as to what is the relevant sort of degree for someone with ambitions to fly professionally, I would have thought university maths and physics is far too advanced for what comes up in aviation examinations. Perhaps some ATPL's could comment.

I would have thought that, for example, engineering, particularly aeronautical engineering, might be more appropriate. But if Hannah does not really like maths or physics, three or four years studying at that level is not going to be the most enjoyable experience.

And anyway, all this is before we know whether she's going to get motion sickness or not.

By the way, if Hannah's mother thinks that gliding has got nothing to do with flying, I don't think she is the best person to give advice. Glider pilots fly, yes fly, up to hundreds of miles in one flight, fly for hours, and can gain height using air currents from a launch of 1000 to 3000 feet up to 20, 30, or even 40,000 feet. It's a bit like saying that someone who goes sailing knows nothing about boats.

Chris N.

tggzzz
7th Jun 2010, 13:48
By the way, if Hannah's mother thinks that gliding has got nothing to do with flying, I don't think she is the best person to give advice. Glider pilots fly, yes fly, up to hundreds of miles in one flight, fly for hours, and can gain height using air currents from a launch of 1000 to 3000 feet up to 20, 30, or even 40,000 feet.

Yes indeed.

Here's a few reasonable flights from just the past couple of weeks:

Flight Details (http://www.bgaladder.co.uk/dscore.asp?FlightID=26512)

Flight Details (http://www.bgaladder.co.uk/dscore.asp?FlightID=26517)

Flight Details (http://www.bgaladder.co.uk/dscore.asp?FlightID=26579)

Poose
8th Jun 2010, 17:10
Hannah,

I did Mechanical Engineering at University. So, I was thinking something along the engineering lines, as opposed to Sports Science or a degree in Underwater Knife fighting at Hollyoaks College...
Anything engineering based stands you in good stead. Not critical, but it gives you options to fall back on if you cannot get a flying job straight out away. Also, if you're working you have the means to fund your flying training. I was not a natural mathematician at school, but I worked hard and became one. Don't write yourself off. I often found that the subjects I couldn't do initially were the ones I ended up being good at, because of the extra time I had to put into them. Just my experience...

My reference to Sleap Aerodrome was to Joe. Incidentally, a good cafeteria ususally ticks the box on my aerodrome hit list! :ok:

Have a look into the forces, you'd be surprised what you can do. A bit of research doesn't hurt. Incidentally, the Army doesn't just 'kill people'... It defends this nation and it's interests from people who want to attack our way of life... :=

Good luck!

Genghis the Engineer
8th Jun 2010, 18:06
This is off the point completely but yes I do know what the army does. My brother spent a year in Iraq and he's lost countless friends and I don't see how anything else the army does can equal the fact that they do go to war and kill people.

Not far off the reason why my father was unable to do an RAF apprenticeship (for which he was accepted) - my grandad had a less than fun 1940-1945, covering more than his fair share of beach landings and jungle warfare and refused to allow any of his sons into the services as young as he had. Since Genghis Sr. ended up with a Supermarine apprenticeship, family honour was satisfied anyhow.

But the services are much more complex and varied than only the army on the front line - admirable and tough though that is itself. As others have said, they also defend your right to criticise them !

Poose, you said to get a decent relevant degree but what would that be- something to do with physics or maths? Because they're not really my favourite subjects even though I'm quite good at them. Lol also you said you fly to Sleap a lot do you think it's a good airfield because I really wouldn't know even if I went! X

I'd recommend sticking with maths and physics through GCSE and AS at the very least; even if you don't go that far with your degree, you'll find that level of ability in those subjects will help you out a lot in the long run.

Personally I didn't really enjoy maths at school, although got on better with physics. And then I ended up with two engineering degrees (and doing stacks of flying partly because of them). Maths and Physics are only languages to describe much sexier stuff like supersonic aerodynamics, aircraft handling, or flight performance and navigation. Look at the degree courses out there - that may be 4-5 years away, but looking at what you could study, finding the stuff you personally find really exciting, and positioning yourself in that general direction, will do you great favours.

A further thought on the flying, you are young and if you go into a professional flying career you'll have thousands of hours. Getting from A to B requires flying experience, much more than it does just hours in the right column of your logbook. So right now, I'd look seriously at gliding club junior sections, air cadets, flights for helping out at the local microlight club. Absolutely anything that builds your flying experience, AND is loggable. I'd worry a lot less right now about exactly what it's in - that worrying you can do in a few years time. In many ways gliding is the best thing you can do, because you probably have more time than money, and gliding is both cheap, and a fantastic introduction to real "stick and rudder" flying (I wish I had at 14, but I didn't get the bug until I was 19 - you've got a 5 year head start on me!).

G

Windrusher
8th Jun 2010, 19:01
I'd second all that Genghis says. Gliding (my first passion) proves to be an excellent background for other forms of aviation (more recent pursuits), and is a great route into them - we have plenty of club members who went on to the RAF and/or airlines, but who still come gliding at weekends. And any other way of getting into the air is good!

You don't need university physics, maths or engineering, but they certainly help! I teach physics at Genghis's alma mater, and practice and theory of flying in all forms are both more interesting and understandable with a bit of scientific knowledge and an inquisitive approach. If I ever have the time, I'd love to develop an optional course here on the physics for flight, because it provides so many interesting examples of fundamental phenomena.

Good luck with your flying!

Windrusher

FREDAcheck
8th Jun 2010, 20:17
Of course it is just possible that you might decide in due course that aviation (of any sort) isn't the career for you. Many people have a strong idea of career choice in their mid-teens, but change totally by mid-twenties. Getting a degree (not necessarily aviation-related) keeps your options open, and university is still the best chance most people get of studying a subject just for the pure hell of it (even if it does seem like hell some of the time:}).

As some have said, there are degree subjects relevant to aviation, but a degree in anything is no disadvantage to a career in flying. A colleague of mine was a graduate accountant (and a very good one, I gather, not that I know much about accountancy) and she decided to take up flying and is now flying heavy metal.

152flyer
10th Jun 2010, 17:13
Hi Hannah

I was in your position 10yrs ago and despite hanging around my local aerodrome and getting the occasional flight for doing odd jobs it wasn't until I was 24 that I finally got my licence!

Be patient if you really want it you'll find a way to get there in the end!