PDA

View Full Version : Scotland trip - any advice?

Okavango
26th May 2010, 16:31
I'm planning a trip up to north Scotland (most probably over a weekend-and I'm not yet sure what the availability of all airfields are). Was planning to stop at Oban, Benbecula and Wick then return via Fife. Any other suggested places to stop taken into consideration. Please can anyone offer advice on experience of past trips? Many thanks.

helicopter-redeye
26th May 2010, 17:11
Weekend openings are quite restricted at HIAL airports (for facilities). Have you got the HIAL OOH indemnity signed?

Coll and Colonsay have hard runways and one or both are nice for a visit (need a ABC OOH now I think). Gigha is you can take a bumpy grass strip and Glenforsa if you can take a near perfect grass strip.

Enjoy:ok:

mad_jock
26th May 2010, 17:23
The fuel is very expensive in Wick personally I would miss it out and continue up to Kirkwall. The orkneys are stunning

No Avagas In Benpecular but you can get it in Stornoway

FREDAcheck
26th May 2010, 17:44
When you get to Oban, turn left (W) and in 5 minutes you're at Glenforsa. Hotel 50 yards from where the plane stops, good for a stay or for lunch.

fisbangwollop
26th May 2010, 18:02
Wherever you go give me a call on 119.875 "Scottish Info" and you will be treated with great respect and care!!:cool::cool::cool:

Pull what
27th May 2010, 10:58
Stop in Dornoch if you're passing and have a stroll for ten minutes through the golf course for a spot of lunch in the village. The strip is always in good condition and a small hop to Inverness for a refuel before heading south. It's on the coast and you can make your approach in over the beach, great place.

A great airfield not to be missed (can you no longer approach over land ?)

Mull is great

Aboyne is also great if you are accurate with approaches and landings!

Fly up Loch Ness if you can

Rod1
27th May 2010, 11:18
Mull is a must for your overnight. I like Perth as it is very friendly and has multiple runways. Wick town is a bit shabby, but the local aviators are friendly. If the weather allows fly the great glen, the scenery is stunning.

Rod1

gasax
27th May 2010, 13:15
A trip around the edge?

As mentioned Glenforsa is probably preferable to Oban - depending on what you are looking for. The same could be said of Kirkwall (or Lambs Holm) rather than Wick.

If you have not flown in/over mountains before then low level up or down the Great Glen is a real experience.

Take care with the wind - these are large lumps of land and cause huge turbulence when the wind blows - terrific wave soaring when everything is good and massive turbulence in the leeside rotor of the hills when it is not. Cloud cover halfway up the hills is not unusual so identify the potential low level routes before you venture out.

Make sure about fuel and get the HIAL OOH, which will make planning a lot easier. Then all you need is passable weather!

cats_five
27th May 2010, 14:32
<snip>
Take care with the wind - these are large lumps of land and cause huge turbulence when the wind blows - terrific wave soaring when everything is good and massive turbulence in the leeside rotor of the hills when it is not. Cloud cover halfway up the hills is not unusual so identify the potential low level routes before you venture out.
<snip>

And usually a fair number of gliders flying XC on a good thermal or wave day, up to cloudbase in thermal and up to FL195 and possibly beyond (if the wave boxes are open) on a wave day.

Fantastic scenery, but don't get distracted from keeping a very sharp eye out for other traffic.

Okavango
27th May 2010, 14:59
Thanks all. Excuse my ignorance, but waht exactly is "HIAL OOH indemnity and ABC OOH"

gasax
27th May 2010, 16:02
HIAL - Highlands and Island Airports Ltd, ABC Argyll and Bute Council. OOH - out of hours.

This magic piece of paper allows you to land when the airport is officially 'closed'. ABC have just introduced it - see other threads and its, as with most ABC initiatives, stupidly expensive. The HIAL one does however give you access to the majority of the other fields.

HIAL will usually allow you one OOH landing per aircraft per year which can be pretty useful, but given you are planning this trip then the piece of paper is useful

Okavango
27th May 2010, 21:20
Thanks. I've got the costs as well now, but do you pay the increased cost for the OOH landing, or is there no charge (unlikely!!)?

helicopter-redeye
27th May 2010, 21:37
HIAL will usually allow you one OOH landing per aircraft per year

I've never come across this part. When I'm in region I've tended to complete several (landing or take off) OOH - just because the opening hours are short and in the summer the days are long ....

As to the other question, you still need PPR (per to land/ take off OOH) but the landing cost is the same. Usually you land when its open and leave when closed (so have paid) or land closed and take off when its open.

Either way, the best place in the UK to fly (especially out of hours)

b.a. Baracus
28th May 2010, 10:37
I recommend a stop at Easter Airfield if you have time, which is to the south east of Tain, it will offer a nice break on your journey north. The strip is in great condition and the whole setup is very well run, check out www.maukair.com (http://www.maukair.com/) for details!

mad_jock
28th May 2010, 11:31
Before you depart try and get your hands on a bottle of Skin so Soft by Avon

http://cdn.activecommerce.net/content/tiso/products/XA450601_lg.jpg

Its will give you some relief from the midges. Don't ask me how it works it just does.