PDA

View Full Version : A320 FMGS present position

MainDude
23rd May 2010, 17:48
Hi Guys,

Is there a quick way to make a present position waypoint, then use it to fly track & distance from there?

The way I use at the moment:
1. go to DATA, position, type out the present co-ordinates
2. go to DIR and press 1L, then store the waypoint e.g. LL01
3. type bearing/distance of the new waypoint e.g. LL01/270/20 and enter it into 1L of the DIR page.

Surely there's a quicker way... any clues?

TopBunk
23rd May 2010, 17:53
I haven't flown the Bus for a several years, but can't you do a 'lateral' revision, for example to hold at Pres Pos?

If you did this, while taking control of the heading manually, and then inserted a PBD from the Pres Pos from above, would that not achieve what you want?

Memo: all this from memory without reference to the manuals.

PappyJ
24th May 2010, 05:22
but can't you do a 'lateral' revision, for example to hold at Pres Pos. Not true. Simply pull heading, then L1 and select hold.

TyroPicard
24th May 2010, 10:28
PappyJ: Don't pull HDG, just press LSK 1L, press HOLD, and Insert if/when the holding pattern details are correct.

MainDude: As I am sure you know PBD can only be created if the Place is in the database. As far as I am aware there is no quick way of making the PPOS a database entry, other than your method. I never did it - why would you want to?

Cardinal
24th May 2010, 22:45
Why? - A task saturated American controller was running out of airspace and asked us to do it just a month ago. Her box vectors deteriorated to "Hold at present position."

My solution was to throw in a nearby VOR in the Prog page, take that Bearing/Distance information and reenter it in the Data/Waypoints page, then hold off that. Maindude was smart to just punch the info into DIR 1L, saves a few button pushes.

MainDude
30th May 2010, 21:31
Thanks guys!

It's not an important thing - but it's one of the few features that I miss from the 737. We used it for flying a "heading for x miles to avoid weather, thereafter resume direct wpt" clearance in NAV mode.

TyroPicard
31st May 2010, 20:32
MainDude
Wow! I would have used Groundspeed and Stopwatch! (And the radar).

Cardinal
Who trained you? Have a look at FCOM 4 to hold at PPOS - 3 keystrokes....

Cardinal
1st Jun 2010, 18:14
Trained by gloriously incompetent luddite dullards.

TyroPicard
2nd Jun 2010, 14:29
There's no answer to that!
I'm still wondering what happens when a lady controller gives you "box vectors"...