PDA

View Full Version : New ATCO College in the South

exatcinstr
27th Mar 2010, 15:24
Hi all

A friend of mine told me yesterday she'd heard that a new ATC college was opening in the South, has anyone heard anything or know who's behind this?

Any info greatly appreciated - the wife is spending too much of my pension!

Talkdownman
27th Mar 2010, 15:53
Well, it is planned that the nats College of ATC will relocate from Hurn to nats CTC Whiteley. Maybe that?

exatcinstr
27th Mar 2010, 17:22
Hi talkdownman

Thanks for your reply, but apparently this was a new venture not associated with NATS? - i'll keep digging, see what I can come up with!

blondiekat
28th Mar 2010, 03:03
Is it the A.S.T.A.C. college in Shoreham???

Barnaby the Bear
29th Mar 2010, 15:50
Google is a useful tool, and so quick. :ok:

ASTAC International Ltd : The New Shoreham ICAO Centre (http://www.astac.co.uk/shoreham.aspx)

Other reputable approved Colleges are available........ :}

exatcinstr
29th Mar 2010, 17:27
Barnaby

Thank-you for your carefully considered response!:ugh:

I am aware of, not only how to use google, but the other ATC training colleges to which you refer including ASTAC - the rumour i heard was a new venture start up in the South.

I thought i'd utilise this forum as a means to extract info on any possible jobs that might be going!

cheers

niknak
29th Mar 2010, 18:21
With NATS providing (in the majority) for their own, the ASTAC College at Shoreham being reallity for a few years now and both ASTAC Gloucester and BAe Cwmbran having worked very hard to establish themselves in the UK Market and both only just managing to cope with the current economic situation, I cannot see any room for another training provider in the UK for the forseeable future.

Given the very high start up costs of starting such a business , let alone spending several years establishing it and getting CAA Approval, I'd be very suprised if there is any foundation to this rumour.

slackie
29th Mar 2010, 18:53
UK 'aint "South":confused:

Barnaby the Bear
30th Mar 2010, 18:33
Sorry Exatcinstr my response was aimed at blondiekats reply, and yes i agree it wasn't a helpful tone..... Bad day. :O

niknak
30th Mar 2010, 18:42
In todays Flight International (paper copy - not the online version - yet), there is a small advert for a "Chief ATC Instructor" for a "new venture in the UK".
No details of the employer or anything else other than a generic email address to apply to.

It seems an expensive way of trawling the market, given that anyone in their right mind who was genuinely interested in that position would want to know all about who they were applying to before they did so.

Given the state of the market and collosal start up costs and backing needed to make a profit, it would be very interesting to see who is behind this.

exatcinstr
30th Mar 2010, 19:15
Barnaby - no problem at all! We all have em!

Yup, saw the advert something, going to make some further enquiries.

Start up costs would be high as you say, but maybe this is a good time for some competition to come into the market, aircraft and airline orders are still at almost a record high in terms of aircraft to be delivered.

I'll keep digging, thanks for the responses so far!

OCEAN WUN ZERO
1st Apr 2010, 16:11
Heard a rumour that there may be a new College in the North within 6 Months

Anybody know anything?
:)

Kiwitraveller
3rd Apr 2010, 13:29
The jungle drums are certainly beating. I heard that the new training facility will be in Bournemouth and will open before the end of 2010.

The NATS college is moving away and its still unclear what the long term NATS training solutions will be. There are also still significant cost obstacles to overcome at NATS. The new CEO will have his focus on cutting out overheads. The recent traffic downturn has given some breathing space, re NATS training commitments, but decisions will need to be taken soon.

Elsewhere, ATS providers are all struggling with cost management. The new financial transparency, that comes by law with Single European Sky, is causing many European ATC providers to wring their hands and look at outsourcing training as a lower cost option (no big corporate overheads).

The trends to downsizing cost are already there to see, Eurocontrol college at Luxembourg closed, Entry Point North losing Norwegain Training to a college in North Dakota. (and Norway was a partner in EPN!)

I think we'll see more commercial aviation training colleges in the next five years , focussing in ATC and related topics (Av English, Environment etc.) in the UK at least Bournemouth is the obvious choice. I think the story has legs.

I'm off to polish my cv!

Katie

kermode
25th Oct 2010, 21:04
Try this Peregrine Academy LTD (http://www.peregrineacademy.com)

Daermon ATC
26th Oct 2010, 07:06
"New ATC college in the South" is not exactly a precise description, isn't it?

In any case Senasa (http://www.senasa.es/), the spanish agency responsible for atco training was separated from Aena during this year and was looking for instructors. Don't expect too much pay, though, they are trying to cut any costs they can.

Also Safeskys (http://www.safeskys.co.uk/stop-press-and-jobs.htm) was looking for instructors and atcos to be trained at the Senasa facilities in Madrid for a job in the Canary Islands. Don't know how much the instructor would get, the salary description is only for the atco (and only for one year, I expect the catch will be the following spanish contract... as for the job, it refers to the island of El Hierro (http://maps.google.es/maps?hl=es&ie=UTF8&ll=27.814293,-17.886043&spn=0.009034,0.02738&t=k&z=16)which is basically a piece of rock in the midst of nowhere... sun yes, but no beach)

Dizzee Rascal
26th Oct 2010, 07:45
Peregrine Academy based at Bournemouth.

3 experienced instructors so far.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
26th Oct 2010, 08:38
<<The new CEO will have his focus on cutting out overheads. >>

Might also help by reducing "management" numbers and getting rid of obscene bonuses?

Spitoon
26th Oct 2010, 09:04
The trends to downsizing cost are already there to see, Eurocontrol college at Luxembourg closed...Odd thing to say! I was there just a couple of weeks ago and met some of the ATCO trainees.

Kiwitraveller
26th Oct 2010, 11:15
Eurocontrol reform is in underway at the moment.

This is part of single European Sky work and is driven by the EU. This is fact and has been the case for more than a year and is actively exercising the minds of European ANSP execs as we speak.

Eurocontrol will be a network operator, and will operate the flow management unit, Route charges and so called "network management" (kind of ATFM on steroids) No Training and no ATC operations.

Maastricht centre will almost certainly go back to the states from which it came (Germany, netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg) but under the FAB - FABEC. All this in negotiation at the moment.

And the training centre will close.

Other training facilities in Europe also up for review (similar issues to NATS relocation of CATC) Expect consolidation of ANSP owned training in Europe and emergence of broader private academies doing ATC + + other viable education.

KT

Gisajob
26th Oct 2010, 18:47
Are you thinking of BAe's announcement of an ATCO College at Doncaster Airport, sorry Robin Hood.

Glamdring
26th Oct 2010, 21:32
Peregrine must be good. They can do an ADV course in 7 weeks and an ADI/V in 6 weeks :D

How does that work?

2 sheds
27th Oct 2010, 17:43
By adhering strictly to the course requirements, small numbers on a course, enough simulators and maximum simulator time?

2 s

Glamdring
27th Oct 2010, 17:46
Yeah but how can it take 7 weeks to do a Visual AD course but only 6 weeks to both Visual & Instrument?

Vfur
27th Oct 2010, 19:34
Another college, the CAA won't know what to do with all the money they're collecting.

niknak
27th Oct 2010, 20:19
Another college, the CAA won't know what to do with all the money they're collecting.

No CAA courses advertised on the website and no CAA approvals given as far as the jungle drums say.

By adhering strictly to the course requirements, small numbers on a course, enough simulators and maximum simulator time?

A fine ethos but small numbers on courses don't make money and a small number of "instructors" can't cope with larger numbers of customers.

They're going to be very busy chaps (especially the Finance Director:E).

chevvron
28th Oct 2010, 09:04
As Niknak says, although it mentions 'ICAO' frequently, nowhere is there a mention of 'CAA Approved' hence anyone attending might find they have wasted their money if they're after a job in the UK.

Kiwitraveller
2nd Nov 2010, 17:34
I've had a look at the Peregrine Academy site, it seems sensible to me. why limit to UK CAA licenses?, which require more training than the ICAO, yet Uk licenses are only good for UK/EU market, where there is an abundance of nationally subsidised competition.

These national (CAA) license solutions are disappearing in favour of regional/global qualifications. Deja vu, with JAA and certifications if you ask me, thats all history now! Perhaps thats where ATC Licensing is going too.

Depends on your perspective I guess. This looks like an aviation training facility, not just ATC.

ATCNetwork
18th Oct 2012, 09:13
Seems this company has ceased trading.

Dan Dare
18th Oct 2012, 11:32
Seems this company has ceased trading.

Don't they all? If I thought very hard about it I could probably name an "ATC training provider" that has dissappeared for my every year in ATC. They come and go so quickly that I would worry about giving my hard earned money to any of them.

chevvron
18th Oct 2012, 19:58
Website seems to have disappeared too.