PDA

View Full Version : Lee-on-Solent

BigDoris
8th Mar 2010, 16:37
Firstly, does anyone have any info. on flying into this airfield as from what I can see it is not straightfoward.

Furthermore, can anyone give any route advice on flying from Blackpool to Lee-on-Solent.

Weather permitting the flight can be undertaken VFR or planned initially as IFR and with the weather being good at the other-end I'd plan on cancelling the IFR.

Any ideas or anyone done a smiliarly long trip in a Warrior or similar.

Much Appreciated :ok:

roljoe
8th Mar 2010, 16:47
Hi,

have a look here..>> Aerodrome Manual (http://www.eghf.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=64&catid=35&Itemid=90)

Otherwise no personal experience on this field..

regards

BigDoris
8th Mar 2010, 17:01
Yeah, I've had a look and I'm still none the wiser really. :confused:

BigDoris
8th Mar 2010, 18:09
Planning a trip from Blackpool (EGNH) to Lee-on-Solent (EGHF) and am after some tips from anyone that has done a similar or lengthy x-country.

Guidance on route would be nice as would any info. regarding Lee-on-Solent as even after reading details on the website I am still a bit confused on the GA aspect of flying into there.

How are Brize Norton re: transiting their zone.

Weatherwise obviously I'd hope for VFR all the way but wonder if an IFR plan could be used and later cancelled if Lee-on-Solent is VMC, that said it appears to have no instrument facilities so what I have said may just be sh*te.

Anyway, any thoughts appreciated. :ok:

PS. Flight would be on a weekday.

Monocock
8th Mar 2010, 18:19
Doris

PM Mike Cross and he'll give you chapter and verse re L-o-S and how they operate. If you are nice to him he will even give you tea and biscuits in the smart club house there too.

BigDoris
8th Mar 2010, 19:13
Cheers Monocock. I've sent him a PM and now wait to see what he says.

I really hope it isn't as daunting as it sounds or at least not as daunting as I'm making it out to be. :}

Phalconphixer
8th Mar 2010, 19:37
Hi;
Don't know if this helps Lee Flying Association (http://www.eghf.co.uk/)...but it's as good a place as any to start!

IO540
8th Mar 2010, 20:39
Brize are fine for transiting their zone but anyway if you fly above 3500ft QNH they cannot stop you; just call them up and they will give you a radar service, generally.

Flying in UK Class G is easy. Just draw the line on the map, avoiding controlled airspace, etc.

BigDoris
8th Mar 2010, 20:42
Appreciate the responses and PM's. :ok:

My only issue at the mo seems to be the £7.5 million crown indemnity on the insurance side of things. :ugh::rolleyes:

IO540
8th Mar 2010, 21:02
You may well find it is standard. It was on mine (Haywards).

The remaining hassle might be that at least some MOD bases want to see a faxed copy of this 24hrs before you get there.

stickandrudderman
8th Mar 2010, 22:33
I'm a bit puzzled.
Why would someone who needs to ask these questions consider filing an IFR flight plan? I can't imagine that you've got an IR. Am I missing something?:confused:

RAPA Pilot
9th Mar 2010, 09:51
You may struggle to get into Lee. Its owned by the SAR Heli company(cant remember their names) and run by the police on their behalf as they run the BN2T4000 out of there...and they dont like people flying in there although you could try to call them and ask, they may have changed their attitude!!!

You might get a better response in the Private flying forum.

Good luck.

BigDoris
9th Mar 2010, 16:53
[Gratuitous insults deleted - mods]

Yes I have an IR, yes I am rusty on IFR procedures, more so regarding the destination. Slightly ashamed I'm asking these questions but I'd rather ask than not.

All I ask for is suggested routes or nearby destinations. It's a 200nm trip, I hope for VMC all the way but sods law, it won't happen. Then what? I fly IFR all the way to Southampton as opposed to Lee-on-Solent unless people can suggest otherwise. Suggested airways or waypoints etc etc. What if it turns out to be VMC at preferred destination, i.e. Lee-on-Solent?

I've come across this in my searching. As usual many opinions but there is some consistency in what they're saying.

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/398589-instrument-ifr-route-off-airway-2.html

Anything else you're missing feel free to ask. :ok:

Fuji Abound
9th Mar 2010, 17:57
Lee as you are probably aware is strictly PPR and you must receive a pre flight briefing. It is a super place to go and really not a problem. The carvan is the pilots "house" and very comfy it is to. You also do need to check if Fleetlands is "cold" and ensure you follow the specified joining procedures.

In terms of the route if VFR (or IFR non airways) I would assume you are familiar with the Manchester corridor, thereafter a straight line looks pretty good except make sure you are aware of the RPs for Brise as they like to give you transits from one RP to another, you may need a clearance from Boscombe, and dont forget that solent are known for not erhm always falling over themselves to approve transits.

PS Having just seen your reply which crossed you could fly the whole route IFR / IMC non airways if you want, there is nothing to stop you but there is still no guarantee Solent will clear you IFR. Lee has no IAP so you would need to divert to Southampton or Bournemouth if you cant get in. Southampton will prove expensive unless booked in advance in which case it is still not cheap, Bournemouth less so. I am not sure if they are part of the Strasser scheme, I guess they probably are. Lee is not too bad for a scud run approach if required with a descent over the Solent - the last time I was there it was a bit like that. :)

BigDoris
9th Mar 2010, 18:13
Cheers for that. Very informative. :ok:

I've just sent a few emails and made some calls in order to secure a 'host' at Lee. My main issue is as you can imagine a lot of IFR training and therefore the bulk of my experience is largely within airways and heavily focused on flying (aysmmetric) approaches etc etc.

So a 200nm 'straight' off airways route is definately not something I claim to have much experience in. :sad: BUT, you have to start somewhere I guess.

Having read that link I posted there seems to be no need to flightplan at all on such a flight and if I choose to go IFR in uncontrolled airspace and off airways, there appears to be no issue beside pilot qualifications.

It's been too long since I did any GA in the UK but where better to start than straight into the deep-end. :{ :\ :}

Fuji Abound
9th Mar 2010, 20:08
Correct - off airways no FP, turn up and go.

Work your route and plan on the hop, it is all part of the fun. You might not get a clerance through Solent so have a plan to go around the edge.

Mind you the work load can be real high in solid IMC off airways, plenty to think about and no time to get lost. :ok:

Midland Transport
9th Mar 2010, 20:31
Where did you do your IR training if most of the training was in Class A airspace very unusual? By the way you ask the questions and as you also appear to be MEIR rated your questions are so basic! If you do fly be careful there is a lot of controlled airspace between you and LOS plan carefully.

IO540
9th Mar 2010, 20:48
In the UK we have "IFR" and we have "IFR".

The first one is on the IMC Rating and basically it is a "VFR" flight, with holes drilled in clouds when convenient. No CAS privileges over a VFR flight - still have to get a clearance for every one.

The second one is on a full IR and it is as per international IFR procedures. Here in the UK, mostly Class A.

Sure one could fly to LOS fully IFR but since the place has no IAP then what would happen is that when you get dropped out of CAS (dropped out by London Control) you continue a DIY descent and land VFR.

I don't think I have ever flown fully-IFR to any place down there but it may well be that London Control will hand you over to either Bournemouth or Southampton - both of these are CAS (Class D) which is continuously connected to London Control's Class A. So, I can imagine, one could get a "radar letdown" by B. or S. all the way down to their MVA which is probably about 2000ft.

As regards valid IFR routings, that's a whole big subject. Nowadays there is this tool (http://flightplanpro.eu/Home.html) which works really well for most routes.

I rarely fly fully IFR around the UK because just drilling a hole in IMC in Class G is so much simpler. Not so in the winter though; one wants to climb up to VMC on top, and that usually needs an IR.

BigDoris
9th Mar 2010, 22:19
Apreciate the input everyone. There's no doubt I need to hit the books and brush up on things, just gotta find time to do it. :}

I've not flown properly in the UK for over 2 years now, aside from the odd GH session recently.

I'd hope for VMC all the way for simplicities sake but with our weather things are likely to go differently.

BigDoris
11th Mar 2010, 18:37
After brushing the dust off some IFR low-level charts and having a look at the SRD's i apologise for seemingly making a mountain out of a molehill. :\ Embarrassed is not the word for it. :} :{

Cheers for all the PM's and posts, definately helped with the unfamiliar territory. :ok: