PDA

View Full Version : CRI (ME) Instruction

Terry_flyer
6th Mar 2010, 11:45
As a CRI (me) instructor can I train people on N Reg a/c in the uk? (without holding an FAA Instructors rating)

Whopity
6th Mar 2010, 12:48
Presumably you mean to train for a MEP Class rating or to do differences training. As its foreign registered, you need the permission of the DFT to conduct aerial work. That is straightforward if the training is for the owner of the aircraft; they do not grant it for third parties.

If its for a MEP class rating it also needs to be put on the FTOs list of approved aircraft as a one off.

FARs allow you to operate it in the UK on a UK licence and does not prohibit you from instructing on it, no FAA instructor rating required.

S-Works
6th Mar 2010, 18:28
I would question if you can be remunerated for it though without an FAA CPL?

Whopity
6th Mar 2010, 19:59
You only need a UK CPL to be remunerated if training for a JAA rating.

S-Works
7th Mar 2010, 15:33
I would argue that to be paid for flight in an N Reg aircraft regardless of the purpose of the flight you need an FAA CPL.......

BillieBob
7th Mar 2010, 15:54
I would argue that to be paid for flight in an N Reg aircraft regardless of the purpose of the flight you need an FAA CPLThen you'd better argue with the FAA -

FAR 61.3
(a) Pilot certificate. No person may serve as a required pilot flight crewmember of a civil aircraft of the United States, unless that person—

(1) Has a pilot certificate or special purpose pilot authorization issued under this part in that person's physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft when exercising the privileges of that pilot certificate or authorization. However, when the aircraft is operated within a foreign country, a pilot license issued by that country may be used.

S-Works
7th Mar 2010, 16:12
It may be used to fly the aircraft but not as I understand it for commercial purposes.

I am happy to be shown otherwise, but I 'aint seen anything to convince me yet.

Let's put it another way, can the holder of an FAA Commercial certificate fly a G Reg aircraft? The answer is yes, automatic validation. Can they fly it for remuneration? No.

I would wager that that if you sought an opinion from FAA council that a CPL will be required.

Whopity
7th Mar 2010, 19:59
can the holder of an FAA Commercial certificate fly a G Reg aircraft? The answer is yes, automatic validation. Can they fly it for remuneration? No. Correct because that's what the ANO says. But FAR 61.3 does not say that.

I recall asking the question when I first wanted to do it and found nothing to prohibit it. As you are not training for a FAA licence they are not concerned.
I have seen an official FAA opinion from the Washington Office that even accepted it in the USA.

S-Works
8th Mar 2010, 10:52
Whereas I have seen official statement from New York stating and remunerated flight requires an FAA CPL (and IR if meeting the criteria for land away etc.)

Now that demonstrates the problem with us trying to put our own spin on he FAR's. Personally I consider it too grey an area to try and play with which is why I make sure my FAA CPL is current when doing it.

BillieBob
8th Mar 2010, 12:37
Whereas I have seen official statement from New York stating and remunerated flight requires an FAA CPLThen please give us a reference for this in an official publication. If you are unable to do so, whilst you are at libery to believe whatever you wish, your statement has no value.Now that demonstrates the problem with us trying to put our own spin on he FAR's.FAR 61.3 is absolutely unequivocal in stating that "when the aircraft is operated within a foreign country, a pilot license issued by that country may be used." No 'spin' is required.

S-Works
8th Mar 2010, 13:59
It is an an email from the New York FSDO Licensing Officer, as a response to a question that I raised.

I assume that does not count as 'official enough' to over ride your unequivocal interpretation of the FAR's?

So far we have a split decision.....

Whopity
8th Mar 2010, 14:19
I don't think anything is split other than opinion. The rules don't require it and in the absence of any rule to the contrary, it is not enforceable.