PDA

View Full Version : what do u thing

piolt meek
18th Feb 2010, 14:55
hi there
i am just about finish my ppl and was thinking about fly private/business jet after i am finish my training
is this a good road to go down or look else where
thanks

IO540
18th Feb 2010, 15:17
learn 2 spell then u m8 haff a chance :)

BackPacker
18th Feb 2010, 15:25
ai-oo is roight, ya know. a kustoemer ijn a praaivet sjet doesnt apreciate a sloopy piloot. if yor seevee loeks laik yur post aboof then youl n3v3r b considerd even.

Captain Smithy
18th Feb 2010, 16:26
Proofreading is always a useful thing to do. :)

Troll, one wonders?

Smiffi

Lister Noble
18th Feb 2010, 16:38
All those e-mails we have all sent and 500ths of a millisecond later either wish we hadn't sent or at least re-read before hitting the button.
Someone once said "leave it 'till the next day and read again before sending."
Very wise.:)
Trouble is we've become bl**dy robots on auto-reflex.
Lister:cool:

cats_five
18th Feb 2010, 17:21
If his username was meant to start 'pilot' that is misspelt as well...

There is a wondrous wee button on the 'Reply to Thread' page which is a spell checker, and there is always 'edit' if we notice typos etc. just too late.

Crash one
18th Feb 2010, 17:21
Auto reflex should include the use of capital letters & the ocasional comma or full stop.
fonetextspeak seems to be the thing now, hate the bloody stuff.
if'n yr gonna be a pilot, geddagrip n lurn yasell ta riterite, rite?
"What do u thing?? THINK for Crist's sake!

Whirlygig
18th Feb 2010, 17:28
Piolt meek, what do i thing? i thing u ort to revice air law. Seriously.

Cheers

Whirls

x933
18th Feb 2010, 21:40
Unless you know someone in the industry and can get reccomended, or are prepared to buy the Jet (I said Jet, not type rating) then forget it. Rich types don't take too well to being flown around by people with less than 1000hrs. ish.

Duchess_Driver
18th Feb 2010, 22:32
There is always the possibility that he may have another language as his primary and this is his second or third language.

Remember chaps (and chapesses!) that this forum isn't restricted to ICAO English level 6 holders.

The use of singular rather than plural and incorrect tense is indicative of non-native English.

Whirlygig
18th Feb 2010, 22:35
...and there may also be the possibility that "he" may be female?? :} If you're going to be PC, do it properly please :ok:

Cheers

Whirls

englishal
18th Feb 2010, 23:04
THINK for Crist's sake!
I believe that is Christ's sake.:ok:

I have a sticky left shift key which does my bloody head in. hen I try and type some CAPITAS half the BOOD letters don't work....FUING COMPUTE....

Robin Pilot
19th Feb 2010, 04:58
Any further genuine answers to the OP would be greatly appreciated by some reading who can spell (myself included). I've only counted one response so far.

(this isn't a spelling forum either guys, I know it's frustrating but lighten up a little, the OP might only be a kid)

Whirlygig
19th Feb 2010, 06:21
Genuine answers? I'd love to give a genuine answer if the original post didn't read as though the thread starter thought, that with a 50 hour PPL, he can go and fly a bizjet. He or she is not clear whether they mean commercially or for a living.

If that IS what the OP meant, then x933 answered the question although it should be added that the minimum of a CPL/IR would be required by the rich types.

If the OP meant something else, then I'm afraid I don't what he meant. That is why people need to be more conscientious when they write.

Cheers

Whirls

this isn't a spelling forum either guys, I know it's frustrating but lighten up a little, the OP might only be a kidI would hope that the OP is at least 16. I don't call that being "a kid".

Pilot DAR
19th Feb 2010, 12:16
Considering the possiblilty that the post is honestly intended, I will offer the following advice: Meek, anyone I can imagine, who can afford to pay someone else to fly their aircraft, in particular, a jet, will be looking for a pilot, with not only considerable experience, but a demonstrated eagerness to do their best all the time.

Every time we do something, we should be doing our best for its own sake. Every time we do anything, it's our opportunity to try to do better than we did the previous time, or to learn a new skill. If "doing something" includes the opportunity to check, or proof read, it before actually commiting it, that is certainly worthwhile. Imagine how nice t would be to "proof read" and correct our landings before that were actually accomplished! (Oh, yeah, I guess some pilots do, as I have seen three or four landings during one pass down the runway).

Meek, there is a lot of wisdom here, and it's free! Except the cost to you is demonstrating with your best effort that you appreciate the effort of those who would reply. It is the same as you would demonstrate your best effort if the guy with the jet said you you "Ok take a seat, and lets see how you fly this plane". If your flying of the aircraft were as casual as the writing of your question the jet owner would think.... (well, I'll let you fill that in...). It's not only the skill that someone wants to see, but the effort. The most skilled pilot ever, won't impress the boss if he is still careless.

I once hired a person straight off PPRuNe, without having met her, just because of how well she wrote (and English was very certainly not her first language). I was very happy with my choice, and in time, she moved on to an even better job than I could offer her.

Meek, show us that you care to do your best... what ever the task!

BabyBear
19th Feb 2010, 12:32
Pilot DAR, I agree with your sentiments, however I am reluctant to criticise others use of the English language as I know my own failings.

I would, however suggest you take your own advice and proof read your last post.:p

Pilot DAR
19th Feb 2010, 13:27
I have not ever claimed to be perfect, nor required perfection of others, or things to be error free, just the best effort a person can manage under the circumstances. If Meek's post is a representation of his/her best effort, so be it, they can take the satisfaction from it, which they feel they deserve. Others are entitled to a different view, and perhaps Meek would appreciate insight to that view...

BabyBear
19th Feb 2010, 14:21
Pilot DAR, I do not have a different view, indeed I don't consider the post worthy of the time to form a reply. I agree that the OP's post is far from a few errors and does demonstrate a total lack of care and I too would, rightly or wrongly, take the view this is representative of an attitude. However I do not accept that your post is your best effort. There are a couple of minor errors which I accept are an oversight, however given they are in a post advising another to proof read I thought them rather amusing and was simply poking some fun.:confused:

Imagine how nice t would be to "proof read" and correct our landings before that were actually accomplished!

As I said in any other post they would not be worthy of comment. Please don't deny me a smile this cold, if sunny, February afternoon. Come on, I can't believe the above does not bring a smile to your face too?:ok:

Whirlygig
19th Feb 2010, 14:47
I suspect the "i"t typo is an example of well-placed irony or maybe a Freudian slip?

However, spelling and grammar to one side, what concerns me is that the OP is near the end of his or her PPL and doesn't know the answer.

I know that there are no stupid questions in aviation but there is also an exception to the rule. :}

Cheers

Whirls

BabyBear
19th Feb 2010, 15:22
[QUOTE=Whirlygig][I suspect the "i"t typo is an example of well-placed irony or maybe a Freudian slip?/QUOTE]

Indeed whirls, although PilotDAR's errors occur in a sentence in which he refers to proof reading I don't believe it is as a result of well placed irony.

Is it really that surprising that a PPL student, who at 27 years of age (if indeed that is correct), has come through school, possibly further education and a significant part of life without understanding the basics of English, can be near completing training without knowing the answer to the questions posed? I dread to think how well the pre flight is carried out? The mind boggles!

Crash one
19th Feb 2010, 16:19
This may not be a spelling & grammar forum, & yes I can screw up as bad as anyone, & I get pissed off being corrected for trivia. It is the fact as Whirls says he should by this stage know the basics of air law & the "system".

Pilot DAR
19th Feb 2010, 22:47
O, i missed!

But, yes, I got the irony, and it is worthy of a laugh!

i Stand by my point though...

fernytickles
21st Feb 2010, 01:11
...and there may also be the possibility that "he" may be female?? If you're going to be PC, do it properly please

Yebut, lets face it, Whirly, girlies wouldn't be quite so illiterate, nor would they ask such a "dopey/daft/naive/weird" (select as appropriate) question.... :} :D

DA-10mm
21st Feb 2010, 04:27
mee thing u halve lot ov mohny 2 boorn thingin yool steep rite inta un jeht wid a pee-pee-el lisense

'speshially widouut alot ov insuuranse kash

Cusco
21st Feb 2010, 10:26
Troll ;)

(flibbidy -dibbedey above message too short)

mad_jock
21st Feb 2010, 10:43
He says Edinburgh in his profile but I have my suspicions that they are from Fife.

dont overfil
21st Feb 2010, 18:57
If he/she or it was from Fife there would be a bite on the keyboard. It would spread across zdtyj, before the computor died.
DO.

englishal
21st Feb 2010, 19:26
Yebut, lets face it, Whirly, girlies wouldn't be quite so illiterate, nor would they ask such a "dopey/daft/naive/weird" (select as appropriate) question....
Could be a blonde? :ok:

fernytickles
21st Feb 2010, 19:38
A blonde guy? Quite possibly....:}

mad_jock
21st Feb 2010, 23:30
Nah I think it more likely the keyboard would die because the dribble from when they were licking the screen would short circuit something.

S-Works
22nd Feb 2010, 09:14
MJ, I have lost the plot now. Are we talking about your keyboard here?

You know all you jocks look and sound the same to us, gigner haired, kilt wearing, haggis eating, alcoholics......
;);)

youngskywalker
22nd Feb 2010, 09:19
'gigner', is this a new shade that's been discovered?!;)

S-Works
22nd Feb 2010, 09:25
Nah, I just could not bring myself to write the correct word, the image was to horrific to bear........
:p:p

Crash one
22nd Feb 2010, 09:30
That would be too horrific would it.

S-Works
22nd Feb 2010, 09:34
Oh god, I am having my ENGLISH corrected by a jock..... ;)

PS. I have to confess to a potential ginga state, my dad is from Loch Lomond - Born on the boundary fault as I recall

Crash one
22nd Feb 2010, 09:54
Don't fret Bose, I'm not a Jock, just exiled here.

PS I also have to confess to being decended from a bunch of Scottish border sheep rustlers most of whom were hung.

S-Works
22nd Feb 2010, 09:56
Phew!! Hope you have not gone native!

;)

Crash one
22nd Feb 2010, 10:00
Nah, I wus brung up in Sussex.

mad_jock
22nd Feb 2010, 10:07
God no I am not from the Kingdom of Fife hence my keyboard is fine.

S-Works
22nd Feb 2010, 10:16
Snobbery, amongst the heathen.... ;)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
22nd Feb 2010, 10:59
Apart from all the fun on here..... I'm trying to visualise someone finishing their PPL and jumping straight into a biz jet! Like learning to drive in a Ford Ka and going straight into a Ferrari.

Pilot DAR
22nd Feb 2010, 11:22
I can visualize it to some extent. Shortly after completing my PPL, my neighbour took me along a few times to fly the company Aztec with him. Then the company bought a Cheyenne. With about 150 hours total time, I was allowed to fly a Cheyenne from the left seat for a positioning flight - I think just 'cause it amused him. A steep, fast learning curve on that flight!

That said, I would agree that such a situation is out of the norm, and difficult to plan for...

I now return the thread to the Scots and the English, to compete in the use of the language of the English....

J.A.F.O.
22nd Feb 2010, 17:50
PS I also have to confess to being decended from a bunch of Scottish border sheep rustlers most of whom were hung.

Now, do you mean hung or hanged? It would change your meaning and the possible outcome of a genetic link.

dont overfil
22nd Feb 2010, 19:05
Rumour has it that Crash is Hung. Come to think of it he probably started the rumour. I've also heard him refer to his hemeroids, or was it his Emeraude, anyway it was a taildragger.
DO.

Crash one
22nd Feb 2010, 20:31
I would much prefer to be hung than hanged, though either would make someone happy. & I do have a landing fee receipt stating "Hemeroid". As for the taildragger bit, yes my landings could be improved!!:cool:

Saab Dastard
22nd Feb 2010, 20:50
I think that's about it for the scorn here folks.

Thread closed.

SD